• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

bard

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have a bard that is:
120 mage
120 eval
120 med
120 resist
120 provo
120 music

i really dont play him much,but was thinking about learning to play it.So,i know i can eventually make the best out of what i have here,but,am i losing out by not having skills like disco or peace etc.?i dont have them because i know little on how to use those skills.

silmwarensurion

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My view is that music, peace, disco, are skills that perfectly enhance a tamer template. But provoke and music are for spawning, and treasure hunting. It doesnt make much sense to have a provoke tamer. But with peace and disco, you can bring down paragon ancient wyrms and the other top paragons fast and easy. If you have music and provoke, its pretty much like you have a *pet*. You can provoke non-paragons on a paragon, over and over again until it dies.

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok thanks.im just now getting around to dusting this char off recently,and 120ing him since i been back.I stopped playing in 2000,and a simple provo/music char worked well,,,,then agian 20k gp seemed like alot of cash back then and now there are so many high powered monsters with better loot so im just trying to get caught up to speed on this.Thanks again,,,,,now time to read up on disco and peace lol

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
its all personal preference.

personally i find peace to be useless.
you can accomplish the same thing with the invis spell or a invis pot.

but i cant play without my disco.

disco tamer can drop any critter 10 times faster then a normal tamer or a peace tamer.

but its all in what your comfortable with i guess.
ive seen some really good peace bards out there.

5% Luck

Yea I agree with Poo here on the peace. Its useless! The only chars I use peace on are my "semi mule" chars. One is a peace warrior( I know I know oxymoron). He does the leather gathering and sets up spawns that need setting. The other is a peace tamer.

Now when I say semi mule my peace tamer is just that. He does the actual taming part. He dont farm up good ones nor is he used to hunt any thing. Just to tame heavy hitters like greater dragons.

But back to your temp. What I always have done with that temp is jewel up. Massively! Im talking a full skill worth of points. Add discord to 120. I dropped eval to 100 and have a scrappers with +11 eval ~ehh~ not bad id say. The thing about discord on that temp isnt to do extra damage(well that too) but to lower the "barding difficulty" of the top doggs, the 160s. Once ya have a big baddy in discord it is far easier to provok "onto" it.

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thanks ppl this helps me out alot,a little trial and error and a few death robes and ill be able to find a playstyle_ again thanks!

silmwarensurion

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What I am saying is that peace and disco are really awesome together. As far as peace goes it really is an awesome skill. It will save you, your pets, and your guildmates, or those in your hunting party. Invis doesnt really work anymore. The high end monster spawns reveal you if it saw and flagged on you, almost 100% of the time. It will stop a paragon for a few seconds if you need to run off. If your a tamer with a tank pet; You can stop all the madness by area peacing a mob of beasties that are swarming on your pet or coming after you. Area peace is one of the greatest skills available. If your hunting high end creatures; You want time to check the corpse of a monster that has alot of magic items. That is why i think that peace and disco go great together. Having those 2 together is awesome. With peace and disco together theres not much you cant do.
Here is my fav

music 120
peace 120
disco 120

And then your supplemental skills. it doesnt have to be taming. Could be archery, magery, or one of the new spell casting temp types.

Heres the rest of my skills
tame 85+30 in jewelry +5 tamer talisman=120
lore 100
vet 100
magery 75

You dont need alot of points in magery because magery is not your damage skill. Your pets are your damage. I only use magery to heal, cure, recall out.
Typically while hunting high end creatures something invites itself to your little party. This is one of the situations where peace comes in handy.
Your pet is on a discoed peaced ancient wyrm, your looting a dead monster, and here comes a paragon super monster. All you have to do is peace it, and then go back to what you your doing.
Peace saves everything. It saves your pets, it saves your friends, and it saves you.

Provoke is another awesome skill. But its my belief that it should not be used with disco. Disco on a provoke character seems like an un-needed step. Why disco something if you have 3 or 4 cu-sidhes on it?
Provoke is your damage skill. I can understand peace as a supplemental skill, provoke doesnt need help. Why disco or peace something when its going to be dead before your song is finished?

But poo and luck you have helped me think of something for all bardic characters. Few years ago I posted a suggestion about giving bards spells that could help themselves, pets, and friends. And they gave it to us.
Well now its time for idea number 2!!!!!

I think you two will love this, and many other bards will 2!

Fast playing instruments! Instead of fast cast for weapons and jewelry, Why cant we have fast play on instruments and jewelry.

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fast play on music sounds groovy.i think im gona go with a mage bard or some kind of archer/bard,,,,ill decide shortly lol,yall got me excited about playing a bard now,,,,,,,but im gona stone taming for now,honestly i just got burnt out on it,but its fun and effective so,ita depend on if im hunting with group and what they need....im sure ill end up going back to taming shortly though,,,,,,,,thanks for all the tips

silmwarensurion

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes it is great fun. Its hilarious to watch a provoker stroll by, while leaving a mess of 3 or 4 sets of monsters all fighting each other.
Im sure if you asked those 2; that they would be more than happy to show you some tricks. You can make a character on any shard and visit. That is of course if you are on another shard. You can even come see me on baja if you liked.

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tyvm_ one more question and i PROMISE ill leave yall alone! lolol ill probably start working my peace or disco tonight after work,depends on wich way i go,so my question is where can i buy up one of those skills to 30ish to save a little time? i went to cove and vesper last night and found bards,but when i clicked on them it didnt give me the option to buy those skills,just to hire them.also i tried saying"name" buy. as well,,,,i have no prob working from 0,but that would help it go that much faster

5% Luck

Buying skills is always new haven 1st stop. There arnt many skills not available in new haven that cant be brought up to 40 points. The bards are west side of the city in a smallish hut thing.

The thing about invisi instead of peace depends on resisting spells IMO. Yea they reveal ya alot but usually the one revealing is the next provoked! It buys ya just enough time. Its the poison mana drain and delayed explosions that get ya and area peace act about the same. If the next damage ticks its insta argo.

Another char I use to play was a stealth peace mage. This char was designed to get dreadhorn keys. Area peace invisi/hide stealth out of reveal range drop EVs. It is a great temp and I had a lot of fun with it!

Also casting curse(magery) reduces the barding difficulty as well!

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
got it!thanks 5. forgot all about the new haven

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The royal music conservatory in Brit - the bard guildmaster, he can train u the highest