• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard tricks and tips

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im in the process of completing my bard. I made a peace/tamer years ago, and recently drug her out of the closet and making her a pure bard.

My question is what are some of the tactics you lot use in fighting bigger bosses?

5% Luck

A few things that I do with my bards:
max magic resist: I scroll up to 120 wear protection then add 15/30 more to skill+ items. That leaves me with gm/115 resist with protection up. This allowed me to drop the peace skill and use invisi instead. Resisted para and drain and poison makes it work!

That said the reason for this is to avoid peacemaking. I know I know its central to your play style right. Well as a bard(main char for years) all peacing is going to do is ruin all your provoking work and add arrgo (yea peace can ADD argo to a bard) by stopping all the fights you have started already.

Next thing is bar pulling.Pull all the health bars of creature alive out and keep them there untill they are dead. I pull all the health bars in an order im comfortable with over the black area of the screen(usually reserved for paperdoll backpack ect) and work the list. Do not close health bars ever unless they are no longer an active component to your play. And yes the screen gets cluttered but trying to target anything smaller than a dragon using its sprite/graphic is going to get you killed. Get used to tags and love them.

Magery is a must at 120. A fizzled EV can make the difference between life and death! Less so when you've got a lot of exp under your belt. EVs draw argo away from you especially when you pull an invisi. That can keep you in the Thick of the fight with more target bars open and highlighted(not darkened)

Know your barding difficulty. Always for provoking target the lower difficulty mob 1st. This lowered the over all difficulty rating of the attempt.

Discord your main target. If your in a spawn with all like creatures ignor this rule but if your main target has X2 or X3 the HP/skill/resists of the rest of the spawn discord him. It lowers the barding difficulty and its overall effectiveness. Another exception to this rule is if your main target is of a barding difficulty with acceptable fail rates EI 120 range. Then you want to keep him up and running as he is your weapon. While discord will make your life easier on the very high end in the deeper mid-high end it slows you down

Use a mage wep. preferably a -0. I know its tough to give up that spell book and the shield for the fc/fcr possibility's but your main damage is not the magery even though your scrolled to 120(usually the highest priced scroll) its the main mob target. This can save you a lot more hp then a few dps in the long run.

Where to go? Well one of the best places to learn is the key room in bedlam.

It is a hard room!

but dont get discouraged. It has all the components you need. 1st is easy access. if you die your corps is right at the entrance where you will be staying untill you feel comfortable. Its in town, you can get in and out of harms way easily. Lots of mages to practice your invisi instead of peace technique takes time and there is a fail rate(explosion spell delayed till after the fact reveals and re-arrgos). It has high lvl mobs including red death which needs to be discorded to be useful. And plenty of gold to loot so you dont feel like its not worth your time. It also had rotten corpses. They are high difficulty! But they can soak up spawn like almost nothing else. I will typically provok onto a RC 3-4 times just to get the room -manageable-

Remember you will take damage keep greater heals flowing and with enough resist spells you shouldnt have to worry about poison all that often

Run into the think of things with a precast invisi. Provok invisi provok invisi repeat as needed. Get time, drop an ev. Keep healed. Stay in the center or just to the right(easier to manage health bars from the right) If all mobs are provoked use arm/disarm uoassist macros to get a scrappers and a chaos shild on drop protection and mana dump. Be quick to re-equip the -0mage wep if more spawn comes! and a last note staff of pyros is a undead slayer.

NICE!

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I've never played a bard and Ive been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I like your resist over peace, I will give that a shot.

Thanks for your time.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im in the process of completing my bard. I made a peace/tamer years ago, and recently drug her out of the closet and making her a pure bard.
You do know, of course, that your tamer can solo more Peerless than a pure bard?

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, however after doing all the peerless I want to play a template that I have never played before. It's not what I can do again with what I've got, but what can I do with something I've never done before...One of the greatest thing about this game is you can always start over and its like you just opened the box for the 1st time.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, however after doing all the peerless I want to play a template that I have never played before. It's not what I can do again with what I've got, but what can I do with something I've never done before...One of the greatest thing about this game is you can always start over and its like you just opened the box for the 1st time.

I just had to quote that because it pretty much sums up why UO is such a great game :thumbsup:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree.