• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard Tamer Template, PvM, what do you think?

C

Coragin

Okay this is all 100 percent done in terms of some, so this is REAL skill.

120 discord
120 peace
120 music (got some jewels and song mantle)
120 Animal Lore
102 Taming (add in talisman from Brit community collection, 100 percent control over any pet, if I wanna tame, just pop on some jewels.)
120 Vet

This is leaving me with like 10-15 with jewels skill left over.

So I need to find a way to get to enough magery to be able to recall and heal myself. I am not worried about anything else, dont need invis when I got area peace or target peace.

But I am already using some jewels, so can anyone name things that have good magery on them to get me upto say close to 50, minus spellbooks? Like a head piece with magery?

Or maybe I will just carry around Heal Pots and keep my runebook stocked?

Any ideas?

O

Old Man of UO

Curious, why 120 peace instead of provoke? I think in most cases provoke would be better for PvM. And I haven't found a real need for 120 Animal Lore, keep mine at 110 and control is good. You do get an extra stable slot, but a +10 lore jewelry will work in a pinch for that. I think you would be better off taking Taming to 120... but what you have will work too.

As far as magery pieces, doesn't the Mask of Travesty have +10 magery on it? Other than jewelry, I can't think of anything off hand that does.

I

InspectorGadget

120 discord
110 Mage
120 Animal Lore
112 Taming (add in talisman from Brit community collection, 100 percent control over any pet, if I wanna tame, just pop on some jewels.)
120 Vet

Any ideas?

this

O

Old Man of UO

Still, my question is why the 120 Animal Lore? I would rather have 120 Taming and not depend on the Talisman or jewelry for skill.

110 Lore and 120 Taming will give you maximum control over any pet, which is only 99% for the biggies, not 100%. The only thing it doesn't give you is the extra stable slot.

But ya, the magery is much more useful than the peace skill.

I

InspectorGadget

To be honest, theres no real template reason. Its more down to ease of raising. Plus 110/110 give you control over all the PvM pets, the only one it wont is the dread.

Im not certain but i also believe lore works like anat in terms of vet.

O

Old Man of UO

Im not certain but i also believe lore works like anat in terms of vet.
It does, but the difference really isn't that noticeable. A macro key using both bandage and the greater heal spell works very well in most cases.

Animal lore is very easy to raise, but the extra taming sure makes a difference if you also plan to tame higher end critters. Still, I usually jewel up a skill once I reach 100 and continue to play as if it is real skill, and make gains as they come.

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what I run on my Tamer/Bard. I am heavily dependant on jewelry/items, but my suit is 70 physical, all other resists in the 50-60's, 100 lrc, 4 mr, and over 1000 luck. After I use the Luck statue, I'm at over 1700 luck.

120 discord(95 real)
120 music(110 real)
120 animal lore(115 real)
115 magery
105 animal taming(90 real)
105 provo(95 real)
100 vet.

I get 10 music from Song Woven Mantel, 5 taming and 5 lore from the Talisman, 10 discord and 10 taming from my ring, 15 discord and 10 provo from my bracelet. I also have 6 magery on my bracelet that will allow me to drop magery to 110 and raise provo on up to 110 if I want. I run 785 total skill points and am capable to going to 791 if I make the magery/provo change.

This template works great for me. I'm able to discord and fight just about anything in the game...and if there are other things around, I just provo away. Having the high resists is a major bonus to staying alive....also the high luck helps a little.

V

VorteXPete

If your willing to try KR and use some jewelry(very fast switching items)with macro's you can make a template like mine.

120 Music
120 Peace
120 Disco
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
105 Magery

I guess u could do it in 2d, but dress macros are way too slow too make it work

V

Vertigo

120 music
120 disco
120 provo
115 lore
115 tame
100 vet
95 magery

That's after all my + skill items

S

Seismic

Is having Magery above 90 for all you +720 skill point templates really necessary?

I'm trying to figure out how to run a Disco/Provo tamer template and it's gonna be tough since I'm coming from all 120's across bard skills and do NOT want to lower them. I think Magery will be the one I have to have low (real) and use items to raise it.

O

Old Man of UO

The only spells that I would have trouble with not having magery above 90 is the resurrection spell and gate spell to stable freshly tamed pets. I rely on my pets for damage, and my most frequently used spells are greater heal, poison, cure and recall, all low level spells. If you don't also have EI, you aren't going to do a lot of damage with spells, and in most cases if you have a pet you can't cast a summons anyway.

So, I would say no, having magery above 90 is not necessary. I would however carry an Alchemist Bauble or Crystalline Ring whenever I need to rez someone or cast a gate.

S

Seismic

The only spells that I would have trouble with not having magery above 90 is the resurrection spell and gate spell to stable freshly tamed pets. I rely on my pets for damage, and my most frequently used spells are greater heal, poison, cure and recall, all low level spells. If you don't also have EI, you aren't going to do a lot of damage with spells, and in most cases if you have a pet you can't cast a summons anyway.

So, I would say no, having magery above 90 is not necessary. I would however carry an Alchemist Bauble or Crystalline Ring whenever I need to rez someone or cast a gate.

good call on the Bauble..

V

Vertigo

I disagree. You need 95 mage to cast level 6 spells 100%.
Invis is an important skill for me to cast 100%

O

Old Man of UO

I disagree. You need 95 mage to cast level 6 spells 100%.
Invis is an important skill for me to cast 100%
That's a fair consideration. However, having magery at 90 skill will give you 95% success rate casting level 6 spells. If 5 skill points is really needed for another skill, taking it from magery is better than sacrificing bard skills.

Seismic asked "Is having Magery above 90 for all you +720 skill point templates really necessary?

I'm trying to figure out how to run a Disco/Provo tamer template and it's gonna be tough since I'm coming from all 120's across bard skills and do NOT want to lower them. I think Magery will be the one I have to have low (real) and use items to raise it."

I personally think 90 magery skill is all that is necessary, especially if he/she plans to use jewelry to raise it... mage skill jewelry is common and pretty cheap. You could also jewel up any other skill, and that would be a personal preference. But it is not "necessary" to have magery above 90 skill.

S

Seismic

Honestly this template is less attractive to me now .. guess I don't wanna spend 1+ hours trying to kill a DF. Why not just throw disco on, add some med (instead of provo), and only run the rooms? I know the room bosses yield only 1 in 1000 chances to get an artie, vs 1 in 100 for DF.

F

Fumoffu

Hey Vertigo or anyone else,

can you show us your real skills without +skill items? I'm trying to do something similar to your template for disco/provo tamer but finding it troublesome because of the lack of skill pts.

I suppose with magery you can always carry knowledge spellbook (forgot the name) that gives like +15 magery.

M

MoneyMaker

120 discord
120 peace
120 Animal Lore
102 Taming (add in talisman from Brit community collection, 100 percent control over any pet, if I wanna tame, just pop on some jewels.)
120 Vet

don't need invis when I got area peace or target peace.
You might wanna reconsider the idea that peace will keep you from being aggroed on.
For one, if you area peace near anyone (spawn for instance) your gonna be instantly the target of alot of hatred.
Area peace only resets the monsters and they can instantly aggro on you or anyone else. (even if they are already engaged in a fight).
Target peacing works well to keep monsters from aggroing on you or moving around much. But you also have to consider that it also has a timer before it can be used again, which can lead to alot of running. Not to mention if a monster gets off a poison spell on you, it will remain aggroed on you, regardless of you peacing it. (until you cure yourself and repeace it, or invis)
I am not trying to get you to drop peace, just to not become too reliant on it.
I personally use a Tamer/Peacer/Mage template (all 120's except magery 115, not really worth the expense without eval).
Being on a Dial-up connection (live in the middle of nowhere) peace was a required skill to keep me alive and competitive with other Legendary Tamers.
Practice your peacing of Mobs, trust me, it will pay off later when your in a spawn and trying to stay alive.
Unless your Discoing a peerless, DF, or Champ, I see no reason that you need 120 disco at all times. With a high enough pet, you will have no problem with making fast kills (good combo for your real taming skill is the Rune-Bake. With peace they hardly take any damage and can take down monsters same as a GD, just minus the tank abilities).
Good Luck. Just remember, what works for some may not work for you, and vice versa. Its all about what your comfortable playing.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
why do you need peace?

if your a 120 disco tamer i cant think of a situation where you would need peace.

id axe the peace (and i did, cause i use to run the exact same template, pretty much anyways) and put the left overs into magic and focus or med.

i use to run this
120 tame, lore, vet
120 music, disco, peace.
then use alchy bauble and crystaline ring and tomb of knoledge to get my magic to 55.

but i found i was never using the peace....... ever.

so i killed it off and put on 110 magic.
then just buffed up the suit to be 100 lrc, 40 lmc and as high mana regen as i could get.

still run that to this day.

but here is something you can ponder.
and ive done this before, if all your gonna use your magic for is to recall and heal and cure.... then why not just use chiv?
you need less of it to be effective then you do magic.
60 chiv will heal, cure and sac/jorn pretty much 100% of the time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I need to find a way to get to enough magery to be able to recall and heal myself.

May I ask how will you get your Greater Dragon around ?

Will need to burn up lots of charges on a pet recall ball.............

And I think invisibility is quite helpfull for a tamer when one wants the target to only focus on the pet so as to vet it without being targeted instead.......

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I need to find a way to get to enough magery to be able to recall and heal myself.

May I ask how will you get your Greater Dragon around ?

Will need to burn up lots of charges on a pet recall ball.............

And I think invisibility is quite helpfull for a tamer when one wants the target to only focus on the pet so as to vet it without being targeted instead.......
Once the pet bonds, all you need is Recall or Sacred Journey and it follows you to your destination.

Stayin Alive,

BG