• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard/Tamer/Mage template opinions

Diamonas

Journeyman
Good Afternoon,

I've been tinkering with the following template since my recent return after being gone for just shy of 10 years.

Looking for opinions.

Skills (unmodified)
Animal Taming 90
Animal Lore 90
Meditation 80
Magery 100
Musicianship 120
Peacemaking 120
Provocation 120
Soulstone swap in
Discordance 120
Cartography 100
Lockpicking 100

Modified skills as follows through gear:

Animal Taming 120
Animal Lore 120
Meditation 110
Magery 110
Musicianship 120
Peacemaking 120
Provocation 120

Could bump the meditation and Magery to 120 each with scrolls and better jewelry.

I'm finding being able to keep monsters debuffs and my greater dragon buffed with bard masteries, makes my need for Veteranary other then for ressing, which have it stones as well for swaps.

Provocation is for when doing roof etc..

Please let me know 8)

Diamonas

Journeyman
Sigh I hate my smart phone ATM.
Makes/removes my need for Veteranary other then ressing moot, I have it stones off ATM for swapping.

Diamonas

Journeyman
How about replacing Peacemaking by Discordance?
I've been using Peacemaking for its song buffs and discord I swap instead of provocation for encounters where there are solo or low monster count. To debuff the mobs so my Greater dragon can just wreck face.

I suppose I could run provocation mastery song and run Discordance.

I was figuring the following buffs from my current setup would be more beneficial.

Discordance/Peacemaking
Buffs Active on player/pets

27% Damage Reduction
27% Defence Chance increase
19 Health Regeneration
19 Mana Regeneration
19 Stamina Regeneration
40% Reduced duration curses,bleeds,etc..
Increased Poison Resist

Discordance
Debuffs Active on Monsters
28% point decrease in stats
28% point decrease in skills

VS
Provocation Song
20 HP
Healing 17hp/4 seconds
12 to all stats
27% hit chance increase
27% Spell damage increase

Discordance
Debuffs Active on Monsters
28% point decrease in stats
28% point decrease in skills

Or am I missing something?

Diamonas

Journeyman
I'm curious, as currently I will poison field mobs while they melee my buffed dragon and cast Mind last as needed.

Also I run under protection full time so the song can't be interrupted.

For offensive potential I carry a bunch of Slayer flutes, which when switching to Discord allows a good DoT song.

Or is that not enough?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Provocation song also adds 58% DI and 15% damage multiplier, which makes your pet to deal quite a bit more damage, along with discordance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been known for my fairly eclectic templates in the past, but I've pretty much had the following template for most of the last decade

With equipment:
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Disco
106 Magery (currently scrolled to 110, with a 115 scroll waiting)

I use a +15 magery spellbook (typically of ToT Tome of lost knowledge), and jewelry imbued with Magery, Provo and Disco (+15 in magery, the others slightly less), with the remainder being other useful properties). I also use the library Tame/Lore Talisman, so that my real skill is actually 115 in tame/lore (vet is 120 natural). Music is 110, with another +10 from the Song-woven Mantle. Long term goal is to eventually tweak the suit to where I can cap out the magery, then work on ways to swap out other pieces to improve luck (and maybe swap out to replace some of the jewelry provo with real skill). Most of the non-arty/event items in the suit are from prior to the new loot system (many even pre-imbuing/reforging - the only thing imbued for certain is the jewelry set), so there's lots of room for improvement.

As others have noted, Disco and Provo really work good together, especially with provo mastery.

I really don't see much use for Eval for the magery, because I mostly use it for summons when my pet hasn't been summoned, heals, and transport (none of which are modified by Eval). All most spells do is make the monsters come for me and ignore the pet, though I keep Mind Blast (which is an non-eval-based damage spell) handy.

Diamonas

Journeyman
Basara,

I really like your template, the only thing i don't really see is the Vet 120, i find all i do is get stuck in AoE damage or targeted by monsters for using Vet over greater heal spam, I find i have mana issues without Meditation when running double bard songs. that may be an issue for the gear setup i have atm.

how do you deal with your mana issues?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Truthfully, I'm rarely a solo farmer. Usually I'm with at least another tamer or a Spellweaver (with one of the other casting skills)

I rarely use both masteries at once.

If I'm fighting something with AoE, I'll either stand back and use GH to heal, or I'll use Invigorate, and stand practically under the Greater Dragon to Vet. I rarely get targeted by the main target that way, and if there are secondary spawn, I set them on each other or the main target.

Of course, I rarely fight larger stuff solo, but tend to hunt with friends. We tend to have only one person actually vetting everyone's pets, while the others stand back and greater heal both the vet and the combined pets of the group. We also typically have 1 or 2 Spellweavers there that will Gift of Renewal the Vet and whichever pet is doing the tanking.

The power of a 120 skill 6-focus gift of renewal cast on a tanking pet or a vet standing with the pet is something to behold, especially with a maxed out Invigorate.

Diamonas

Journeyman
Did some upgrades to my suit and am now able to run both bard songs...
3 tamers in a group 3 greater dragons lol...45% damage increase is just insanely stupid.

Ripped through all of roof in 45 mins normally takes far longer.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Did some upgrades to my suit and am now able to run both bard songs...
3 tamers in a group 3 greater dragons lol...45% damage increase is just insanely stupid.

Ripped through all of roof in 45 mins normally takes far longer.
I like to run a tamer with peace songs and another with provo songs.
Stuff just gets insane then.
In my case, 27% DCI, 27% damage reduction, regens, 19% HCI and SDI, 12% damage multiplier, 55 DI plus healing.
It is beautiful to see.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bard masteries without having a full bard are not an efficient use of mana IMO. But taming masteries are very powerful. I would drop meditation and max real taming skill to 120. If you have mana regen on your suit it should keep you mana stable while running consume damage.