• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard need slayer intstrument equipped for slayer bonus?

M

MrMiagi

Or can you just leave it in your backpack and still get the bonus? I'm wondering if this works differently to spellbooks since you still play the instrument even in your pack.

G

No, you don't need to equip it. In fact you can't equip it and I hope it stays this way since I'm either holding Staff of Magi or Super Slayer spell book.

G

You mean hold an instrument? How does one do that, didn't think instruments could be equiped!

G

The difference is likely because of pre-property behavior in the code.

The game already needed to know what instrument was active to know what sound to play so adding extra bonuses could be added this way. I don't believe the code has a concept of an "active spellbook" so there was not already a hook to attach properties to.

(It would have been an interesting alternative path for the game to have gone down if magery spellbooks could have only held say 8 or 16 spells each instead of the whole checklist of magery spells)

M

MrMiagi

That's good, makes life easier, now another question or two, if I am provoking a Rotting Corpse onto a Dark Father, can I use a demon slayer and get the slayer bonus even though my first tactic is an undead?

Also, can you provoke two dark fathers onto each other? I saw someone going on about this but I thought the dark father can't be the first target of a provoke attempt?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
DF's can not be the first target. What you may have heard is if you get two DF's close enough to each other their area effect spells make them agro each other.

Honestly no reason to carry a slayer instrument. From what I have read you get the same ability with simply a gm crafted instrument.

G

There is a small difference - exceptional reduces the difficulty by 5, slayer by 10 (but increases it by 10 vs creatures of the opposing group - eg: reponds vs undead, elementals vs daemons). When the chance of success is low (30% or less), I find I really notice the better odds a slayer gives.

The stratics barding calculator is very helpful for this (individual creatures may be a little easier/harder than the average for their group because of high/low stats, but it's gives you a ballpark estimate of your chances)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Welp, I reckon with that being the case I will start asking all my bard related questions in Uhall instead of on the Bard Forum. Thanks for the info and link.

M

MrMiagi

Will that instrument with both undead and demon slayer give me an increased chance to bard a dark father and say lich lord than a plain undead or demon single slayer?