• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Banner Designs

EMCrysania

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When designing township banners any program other than "Paint" can be used. If Paint is used, it tends to throw off the placement. Photoshop was one program suggested. If anyone knows of any other good programs, please post!

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have used HouseBuilder. You would have to ask the Dark Overlady of UO, Mesanna, if that is a good program to use.

WildStar

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any other specific guidelines?

Where does one find the HouseBuilder program?

Why am I hungry?

EDIT: Found this site for HouseBuilder:

http://builder.thelostlands.com/

It is not my website and I hold no responsibility for those who download off of it and get a nasty virus or something.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use CentrED, which is a UO map editor which can also handle statics and follows the placement rules perfectly.

CentrED - Overview - AKS DataBasis Redmine

The only issue is that the item numbers are a little different, so I have to also use InsideUO to double-check the item and hue numbers, because I've learned the hard way that some of the CentreEd items are no longer available in InsideUO. But for me, it's one of the ONLY programs I can seem to get to work on Windows 7. So.. *shrug*.

Note: goes without saying that you'd want to use this on a COPY of your map files and I only use this for banner design and the like.

xblade

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hail i am new to baja and i have decided to read up on forums tonight and came across this one. there is another program called GIMP its free its same thing and photo shop and we all not how much photo shop cost. any ways the web site is gimp.org i hope this helps

It is not my website and I hold no responsibility for those who download off of it and get a nasty virus or something. (sorry superken i copied and pasted yours hehe)

ToniFierce

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While applying for township, Erasmus told me he would post some helpful hints for making the banner. I'd love that, or an example, because I am lost on how to do this lol.

Is this posted somewhere and I'm missing it?

Thank you! :)

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm that can be bit complicated, depending on your computer skills. I will post some of the banner design blueprints once they are built to give you some idea. In the meantime, I suggest having a word with someone like Brytt.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing wrong with my blueprints! Okay, so maybe they're 8 pages, but thats because they include background notes, location, step by step, and pictures, all to build a 6x6.

...wait. Yeah, ok. Headache.

Here's what I do. This may not be the easiest way to do it, but I'm on Windows 7 64 bit so a lot of the programs out there, like HouseBuilder, won't install for me.

You need two things to design: InsideUO and some kind of house building program (or paint, etc, but see the posts above for the problems with paint).

1. InsideUO
You need to find and install InsideUO. It's a bit of a pain because it's an older program and some of the file paths need to be updated but InsideUO will tell you exactly what is currently available in-game as far as the item numbers go.

Think of InsideUO as the store catalogue that you'll be ordering your pieces from. I do NOT recommend any other means of obtaining item or hue numbers as chances are any other program will be giving you the wrong item numbers and what you THINK is a brick wall will have been changed in a patch years ago and is now a bottle of wine. Only give the BHS Curator the item/hue numbers from InsideUO.

I've learned the hard way that some items available in some programs are no longer available in InsideUO, which means they won't be available in-game.

Pain #1: File Paths

InsideUO needs to be pointed to your current, live UO game files.
This ensures that the item/hue numbers it gives you are up to date.

I had to do this file by file. :( Maybe someone has an easier way to do it. I ended up installing InsideUO's EXE inside my game folder to make updating the file paths easier.

Once you have InsideUO installed (correctly), you may get some occasional pop up errors (because it's old) but you should be able to at least see the list of pieces and be able to double-click a piece to find it's matching item number.

In this case, you're looking for that magic number #10843. That's, I'm told, the easiest piece number for Mesanna to find in her index.

2. Some kind of house-building program

I know a lot of people use HouseBuilder but that doesn't work for me on Vista 7 64x. I must have tried a dozen different programs, many of which were far too complicated or meant for private servers which was not my intent.

What I finally found was a simple map editor. It's called CentreEd. It consists of two basic programs: a map server, and a map editor.

What's nice about this program is that it appears to follow all of the proper placement rules, which paint does not.

CentrED - Overview - AKS DataBasis Redmine

Go to this website and click on the tab entitled "Files"

You need one of each: CEDServer and CentrED. Remember that CEDServer is basically a map server. It's going to make your map files visible so that you can play with them. You've got to get that up and running first so that you can then use CentreEd to build.

Got it? CEDServer is the construction area. CentreEd is the hammer.

MAKE A COPY OF YOUR UO FOLDER before you start changing files.
I cannot stress this enough. I won't want people angry at me when they've butchered up the wrong map file and have to reinstall. So after you download CEDServer and CentreED, make a copy of your UOfolder. I put mine on my external hard drive in a folder called "UOTest" and then pointed CEDServer there.

Setup
Once you have the programs downloaded and a copy of your UOfolder to play with, you have to set up CentrED (the hammer). I think if you just double-click the exe, it'll pop up a setup window that asks you for some file locations from your UOTest folder. It'll also ask for a port number, but you can leave this blank and hit enter to use the default (2597). I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone what the rest of the setup looks like, but if you have problems, post them and I'm sure we can figure them out.

Logging in
Once you have set it up, you can now start to play! Every time I use CentrED I have to do two things:
1. Run CEDServer.EXE (this is a DOS-window that sits in the background and must remain open while you work)
2. Log into CentrED.

I think you make up the username and password when you're setting it up originally. The Data Files section at the bottom is asking for the location of your UOTest folder.

If it works, congratulations! It looks like this:

Now you can search for a nice crop of land to build on and off you go. The first set of icons (I have expanded them here) are the ones you will be using most.

There is also a navigation map (the last icon in that row, allllll the way on the right) that you can use to move around Britannia and find the perfect place to build.

The raise/lower function works just like an interior decorator. The pencil is used when you want to place a new tile and the hue tool is used when you want to dye it. You can use the "filter" box to search for an item piece by name, for example, "stone wall" or "table" or "pile of skulls", then use the pencil tool to put it in the map. The select tool is used if you've already built something and you go, "Oh, shoot, what was the item number??"--just put your select arrow over the piece, left click, and choose "retrieve TileID" (hint: make sure the filter field is empty when you do that). You can also retrieve a hueID that same way.

Play around, it's pretty fun, and it seems to follow the placement rules almost perfectly.

Pain #2 Converting the item/hue numbers from CentrED to InsideUO

Once you have created a banner, this is the only other part that's a real pain. You need to convert the CentrED item number to an InsideUO number. The CentrED number is similar to the Hex number in InsideUO, but not identical. This is time consuming to convert, but please, if someone has a better way, please let me know.

What I do is this: Say my blueprint includes a pile of EM Seppo's Bones. According to CentrED, they are hued $851 (Birds #28) and item #$1A0A "skeleton".

I now have to go find the matching item and hue in InsideUO and get the right InsideUO number for my blueprint.

What a pain.

But there are things that make it easier. You can search InsideUO (Ctrl+F) for "skeleton" (the piece names are almost always the same in each program) and hit F3 to "cycle" through all the pieces with that name until you find the one you want. How do you know if you found the right one? Compare the CentrED number with the InsideUO hex number.

A-ha! $1A0A = 0x1A0A. There's the piece. The item number for Seppo's bones is 6666.

Hues are trickier. There's no matching item number. You have to hope the name matches, or just guess. Often the hues are in similar orders in each program, so you can often figure out which hue you're looking at by which hues surround it.

Fortunately, there's a "Birds #29" in InsideUO, and it looks similar to the hue palate we wanted, so I'm going to assume this is it.

I might say in my blueprint:

Item #6666 "skeleton", hued 2128 "Birds #29", inscription: a ghastly pile of charred EM remains

Example blueprints:

Here's a blueprint I saw from Tancred on Chessy. You can do this if you're good with photoshop

Or you can do more of a step by step, like this sample of the BHS office blueprints:

I hope this helps.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I will post some of the banner design blueprints once they are built to give you some idea.
What? We have to do blueprints? That was soooo not in the contract Wildstar! That will be extra!!! I am going to fiddle around with the program Brytt suggested. It looks niiiiice!!!

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You just didn't read the fine print at the bottom, Gareth.

WildStar

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
So what was the verdict? Did Seppo like it? Did Mesanna like it? Did it fail? Because your onw your own kid if its denied LoL.