• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Banana trees

M

Mephistos

That looks very nice! They dropped the ball big time with all these cool things spawning in Fellucca champ spawns. Trying to "force" players there has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard a company try to do. You don't "force" your client to do anything, unless you don't want to be in business long. Nice banana tree though, sure wish they'd provide them to the entire player base.:mad:

F

Flora Green

Unreal. All of the positive things happening at the moment overall and boosts to gardening over the past year and then this.

*rubs the her cheek from the smack*

S

soulstoner

Yes the gardening community as well as some cooking & alchemy skill folks have gotten great boosts and super duper things happening recently ... It saddens me to see disgruntled notings of some item unattainable with current game approach. Everybody can't have everything without some significant changes to character. I luv the way things are done - makes it mildly & credibly reflective of the balance of life & community.
:twak:

Someday -- Stack Sugar, Cocoa Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Coco Chanel,
Vanilla and choclate bits (2x2)
[/QUOTE]

P

pacific lily

Yes the gardening community as well as some cooking & alchemy skill folks have gotten great boosts and super duper things happening recently ... It saddens me to see disgruntled notings of some item unattainable with current game approach. Everybody can't have everything without some significant changes to character. I luv the way things are done - makes it mildly & credibly reflective of the balance of life & community.

Um, well, I don't think anyone is asking for "everything" as you put it, they're just commenting because it's a TREE and this is a forum full of gardeners... and you can't get that tree by gardening, you can only get it from a successful PVP attempt. We should be able to grow that, or at least be able to obtain it through a gardening related quest or something. Gardeners have been asking for that tree for YEARS... and they gave it to PVPers instead. Nice. I'll just sell umm... lessee 30,000,000 divided by the usual 500gp I get for a plant means... no banana tree for Lily.

Lily

S

soulstoner

um, well, *scratches head* 60,000 !!!!!

It's not a pvp event it's a spawn in Fel =- how the game was borne. And there is an 'or something.' My account has 7 character slots & I think the minimal is 5.

:sad2: so yes with that .. no banana tree for Lily today.

:lol: life's just so unfair Just don't learn anything new & just stay the same ... & be sad things don't change to suit your needs.

P

pacific lily

um, well, *scratches head* 60,000 !!!!!

It's not a pvp event it's a spawn in Fel =- how the game was borne. And there is an 'or something.' My account has 7 character slots & I think the minimal is 5.

:sad2: so yes with that .. no banana tree for Lily today.

:lol: life's just so unfair Just don't learn anything new & just stay the same ... & be sad things don't change to suit your needs.

I didn't say it was a PVP event, I said ATTEMPT. I know what a spawn is and I know what is required to obtain a reward from one. I didn't start playing yesterday.

It's a tree... a tree that gardeners have been asking to be able to grow almost as long as there have been plants to grow in this game. It's not a fair/unfair thing, it just doesn't make sense that they would make a plant a reward in PVP when they have a plant system that they could have added it to.

Lily

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you believe this is fair, maybe the next great talisman for pvpers should be only made available to gardeners rarely growing a talisman in their plant bowls that gives, HCI 15, DCI 15, DI 50, SSI 30. Then we can sell it for 50 mil each too. That make any sense? Yes we covet the banana tree, but should we be coerced into being fighters or paying millions?

M

Mephistos

If you believe this is fair, maybe the next great talisman for pvpers should be only made available to gardeners rarely growing a talisman in their plant bowls that gives, HCI 15, DCI 15, DI 50, SSI 30. Then we can sell it for 50 mil each too. That make any sense? Yes we covet the banana tree, but should we be coerced into being fighters or paying millions?
I only wish I could have explained it so eloquently. I think that gardeners should be able to grow a talisman like that, makes sense in UO logic to me. :coco:

F

Flora Green

Perfectly said. I'm thankful for the additions to gardening and SA has brought me back to actively playing which I haven't done in months. But, I'm still disappointed that another long awaited plant isn't growable. However, Sakkarah has been great at interacting with us and she not only gave us a choice with the black/white plants in the 5th hive, but she left the spider tree, etc bugs in. I like to think there's a chance we'll be thrown some variation of a banana tree eventually.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Like all the other gardening trees that now sit for 5k. Do you really think this is worth griping about?

Anything they give to gardners will be worthless in about 3 months. That is 25k or under.

I love the dyes. I thinks it great. I love the use for colored plants.

But havent you all heard of botanical expeditions into the danger Amazon Jungle?

Risk life and limb to bring back new species. Or the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

So what as a Gardner you cant have a little adventure?

ARGH.

F

Flora Green

And they bring seeds back from the jungle, too. :D

Anything they give to gardners will be worthless in about 3 months. That is 25k or under.
Says a lot. It's a shame there aren't so many other items in the game that net 30 million.

R

RavenWinterHawk

No one is going to buy that for 30 million. Everyone knows where they are coming from. 5 million. Yep a lot. But I was just at the primeval lich spawn.

I took my thief. Hid near a vat that becomes free. I couldnt find the tree. I can tell you they arent going to be rare.

Anyway dyes are cool.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Something else to join my in game favs!

April 1st gifts, the 11th anniversary celebration, and banana trees!

Same dev did all 3 yes? No?

I am waiting to grow that ring, sorta patiently...

You go Raven! get that old tree! :)

D

Deb

I like the Gardening quest idea that someone mentioned. Maybe we could
obtain them thru that.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They'll drop a lot cheaper, I'm sure.

As much as I love plants, it's kind of nice that there are still some rare ones out there. We should all have something to shoot for, really. I would be sad if I could easily get my hands on every type of plant in the game.

S

Stupid Miner

@ All of you.
They're stealable. If you have a thief, go in naked, stealth up to one, take it and leave. If you go at a shard off-time *no one* is there.

They're lying all over the place.

D

Dragonchilde

@ All of you.
They're stealable. If you have a thief, go in naked, stealth up to one, take it and leave. If you go at a shard off-time *no one* is there.

Where are they, exactly? I don't have a thief, but I do have a stealther. I need to break down and just work some thievery onto her.

M

Mephistos

@ All of you.

My understanding is you have to actually "do" the spawn, can't just randomly go in and steal them. More information about it can be found here. And going in and trying to steal things while pvpers are there means you have to get really really lucky to steal it unnoticed, or pvp to get them.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding is you have to actually "do" the spawn, can't just randomly go in and steal them. More information about it can be found here. And going in and trying to steal things while pvpers are there means you have to get really really lucky to steal it unnoticed, or pvp to get them.
I think it would be cool to try and take them out from under their noses unseen. Going to give it a try!

F

Flora Green

I picked up a lot of rubble in Fel during the Magincia event while stealthing. Wasn't killed once by a player, but monsters got me a couple of times. I may actually give this a try, because I really would like some bramble, too.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, I don't want to sound insensitive, but you cannot expect every kind of plant to be exclusive to gardeners. I understand that you would like to be able to grow them, but we cannot reserve all cool items to specific classes. It would be like us saying we can't give any kind of spellbook with cool properties because scribes should be able to make them. Or that we can't give any kind of armor artifacts because tailors or smiths should be the ones making them. Same with any decorative item or consumable that any other profession could make.

I could understand if gardening was slowly dying but your profession is doing a lot better right now than it has in a while. So that a couple plants are not available through gardening really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

As far as some of the bugs with gardening, we're still focusing our efforts on post-launch bug fixes and balancing, anniversaries and holidays. So I know you've all been patient but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to bear with us a little while longer. About the old seeds not stacking, we know what the problem is but are still trying to find an efficient way of fixing it so you guys don't have to do it the grueling way.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bah, I'm just plantin' the darn things :D

thanks for takin' the time, Sak, much appreciated

D

Dragonchilde

Don't mind us... we're just being a bit whiny. We WANTS them. And they're pretty. And it's not FAIR. because... they're plants. And we're planters, and...

Okay, slinking away to the corner and thinking about what we've done, now.

F

Flora Green

The only thing now bothering me about the trees is they are in Fel. I will attempt to get at least one, but there really are some people who ONLY craft or who do fight, but simply don't want to deal with PvP.

I know we can't grow everything or craft all that we want (although that futon thing will never make sense) and honestly that's okay. If they would just release the 9th anniversary tilesets to everyone I'd probably shut up for a bit. We're on year 12 now and I'm pretty sure I recall Jeremy mentioning a solution was being looked at for those tilesets some time before she departed. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Anyways, thanks for checking in, Sakkarah. :)

M

Mephistos

I understand that you would like to be able to grow them, but we cannot reserve all cool items to specific classes.
I don't want to sound insensitive, but you already reserved all the "cool" items to spawn in a Felucca champ spawn. The vat, rack, grave sites, tombstones, glowing runes and banana trees all spawn there. Would the pvpers really been whining if you had just given this one tree to the gardeners? Trees are something gardeners have been asking for for a while. Apple tree, maple tree, peach tree, cherry blossom, willow, and snow trees are obtained through tokens, not gardening. One little tree, and every gardener would have been so excited about this expansion.

I could understand if gardening was slowly dying but your profession is doing a lot better right now than it has in a while. So that a couple plants are not available through gardening really shouldn't be that big of a deal.
It's doing better, because you added staining and basket weaving for alchemists/cooks and tinkers. They don't care about what type of plant, only the colors.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be insensitive, but "a couple plants are not available through gardening really shouldn't be that big of a deal" is pretty insensitive. I'm sure the 10 people on my shard who may actually get a banana tree would have been perfectly content with just the vats, racks, grave sites, glowing runes, the tombstones, etc. etc...

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trees are something gardeners have been asking for for a while. Apple tree, maple tree, peach tree, cherry blossom, willow, and snow trees are obtained through tokens, not gardening. One little tree, and every gardener would have been so excited about this expansion.
Those trees are given through tokens because they are 2 tile items and therefore require a deed to be placed. Which is why they cannot be grown through the gardening system.

So not giving you guys a single tree is all it takes to not be excited about an expansion? I didn't realize I had put staining for everyone but the gardeners. Since I clearly can't seem to understand what gardeners want, I guess I'll put my efforts elsewhere.

D

Deb

No No....Most of us are real excited about the expansion. And I for one
sincerely appreciate all you have done for us that garden as a hobby.
So please don't let a few people make you turn your back on us.

S

Stupid Miner

So not giving you guys a single tree is all it takes to not be excited about an expansion? I didn't realize I had put staining for everyone but the gardeners. Since I clearly can't seem to understand what gardeners want, I guess I'll put my efforts elsewhere.
Hah! don't listen to the whiners, they'd complain even if you gave them a billion gold.:thumbsup:

I don't want to sound insensitive, but you already reserved all the "cool" items to spawn in a Felucca champ spawn. The vat, rack, grave sites, tombstones, glowing runes and banana trees all spawn there.
One little tree, and every gardener would have been so excited about this expansion.
They're for the thieves, not the PvPers.

... If we were able to grow a single tree, it would be so common in 2 weeks that no one would care anymore. What about Cocoa Trees? Cypresses?

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I apologize to my fellow gardeners. It appears that my desire to grow banana trees may be the reason that no other gardening perks will be given. I had no intention of hurting anyone's feelings, causing a flame war or anything like that. Wanting to grow banana trees does not mean that I do not appreciate the new staining system, stackable seeds etc. I have posted thanks and enthusiasm for those in other threads. I want to thank my fellow gardeners for all the tips over the years. Also thanks for Sak for the peculiar plants, stains, baskets, stackable seeds, etc. And before I do any further damage, I shall take my leave.

S

soulstoner

&^#ing Whining seemingly Ungrateful People. :twak::twak::twak: Sakkarah's comments are well warranted & justified and I'm very glad she's made her sentiments known - ever so diplomatically. :party:

The expansion has been so fabulous with a huge amount of work resulting in super cool items to the game while notably tying them to include profit to the gardening, alchemy & cooking community. Not to mention the super duper new plants of the past year.

This expansion has something for everyone !! Geeze even my fishergal has a leg up & I've joined a larger guild yesterday and am in a faction to expand my gaming experience brought about by the new expansion and other recent developments. There's so much to delight over but a few choose focus on the :wall::wall: - Read up on some Depak Chopra or something folks and get a grip!!!

I just discovered this past week the [make max] wrt making my potions to tend my plants :thumbup: & the fd availability for a great price. I'm delighted with the profits I'm making from all of this and the additional joy of all skills related to this particular professional forum.

I am sooooo grateful for all of our new stuff. :pancakes: across the board...
I say to the whiners: Stick a banana tree up your &^#ing whining pie hole :mad:

Thank You Sakkarah for tending us. It is very disheartening to see the negativity laden within some of the comments herein from some folks you've work so hard to bring joy to their gaming preferences... I believe it is a proportional minority that has the negative perspective/focus -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRtNfb6D3Mc&NR=1

F

Flora Green

Hah! don't listen to the whiners, they'd complain even if you gave them a billion gold.:thumbsup:

They're for the thieves, not the PvPers.

... If we were able to grow a single tree, it would be so common in 2 weeks that no one would care anymore. What about Cocoa Trees? Cypresses?
Which means the decision to have those seeds, save for the cocoa, not reproduce to keep them in demand failed. Might as well allow them to produce seeds now and not have to continue hunting for them.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So not giving you guys a single tree is all it takes to not be excited about an expansion?
Sincere apologies to Lady Sakkarah; and I am sorry if I have offended thee.
I'm posting, not as a whiner as implicitly defined by some posters, but as a player who is truly enamored by the gifts of new content from Lady Sakkarah and the dev team for all player types. UO's greatest attribute is its diversity in playstyle. I spent hours in open beta and loved what little I experienced. I found Sir Robert's Banana Tree sitting on the ground outside of Minoc. It was like seeing my holy grail, so please forgive me of my lust for this single tree. If the lack of a banana tree is my only disappointment, so be it.
Gardeners, beggars, thieves, home designers, crafters, vendors, pvmers, pvpers, puzzle solvers, questers; all should be grateful for recent plant additions, staining, Halloween treats, and the Stygian Abyss expansion. September 9th was like waiting for Christmas morning, graduation day, wedding day, or the first grandchild. Still happily exploring and experiencing what can be done with an evolving world of pixels. Just please don't abandon us. All players should have something to look forward to. What makes you shine in our hearts is your attention, communication, passion, and additions to making our entertainment so much fun. A humongous thank you, Lady Sakkarah.

P

pacific lily

Those trees are given through tokens because they are 2 tile items and therefore require a deed to be placed. Which is why they cannot be grown through the gardening system.

Seriously, that is the most lame thing that I have ever seen any dev post here. It's called CRITICISM. When you create something that other people use, they give input, and you either listen or you don't. You change things based on criticism or you don't. It isn't a big deal. But it IS a big deal when you come back and post garbage like this.

As for me, I'm not sorry that I think Banana trees should be for gardeners. I STILL think that regardless of your reasoning or the other people here who feel like they have to apologize for the way they feel. It's pretty pathetic that you're going to threaten to stop paying attention to gardeners because some players don't like that banana trees were made available in-game only to thieves during a fel champ spawn. If you disagree, you disagree... you are the one making the game content, not us. But acting like a child and threatening to put your efforts elsewhere because of some criticism... now that is something people might actually quit playing over.

Lily

p.s. Players appreciate by paying their monthly FEE and buying expansions and other stuff from the uo gamecodes site.

F

Flora Green

I find it pretty pathetic that players are apologizing for how they feel. Why are you begging? If Sakkarah doesn't want to work on gardening anymore, that's on her, not you. If I spoke to a client the way she did in her last post to us, I would be removed from the project. And I can assure you, that dealing with difficult homeowners in PERSON is far more trying that posters on a message board.

Maybe someone should do a search of all of the praise, thank you's and appreciation that has been heaped upon Sak for the wonderful boost she has given to gardening this past year. I, for one, truly am grateful that gardening is once again alive. That said, I'll not apologize for disliking her decision to yet again try and force people to Fel and for all things, a banana tree.

To quote her
So not giving you guys a single tree is all it takes to not be excited about an expansion?
That can easily be turned around on you. So, some of us not liking a single tree not being grown is all it takes for you to abandon gardening and the players?

There was much, MUCH more complaining when peculiars were added than in this one thread. I seem to recall a thread in U.Hall that was pages long and was posted in for weeks. You didn't quit then, Sak. And the gardeners who (and I KNOW there are still some unhappy about it) accepted the peculiar plants not reproducing. There is much gratitude for you keeping the colored hops, spider and cactus plants. The crossing of bonsai, the addition of the new plants to the fifth hive. The option to use the Christmas tree deeds year round. You ARE appreciated. Look at the compliments given to you across the boards. But, everyone isn't going to like every decision you make.

D

DHMagicMan_1

If there is a technical reason (IE items larger than one tile can not grow from a seed/bowl) then that's enough said.

I know Sak has given us a lot and I was one of the very vocal in opposition when Peculuars weren't going to give seeds or let us cross-polinate (I still think that should be handled) but I do do support her absolute privilage to design and build game systems that she believes players want and the ea team supports. she's the designer and we are the clients, so it's a symbiotic relationship.

I think we can get along. We made it through Peculuars didn't we?

F

Flora Green

Agreed, DH. While I don't agree with everyone or Sak all of the time, I have a lot of respect for her and the time she's devoted to gardening. The new dyes are so much fun and I still don't have the hops, cactus and spider trees in all of the colors. I won't apologize for my opinions (we ARE on a forum afterall), but I do apologize for my tone which wasn't very pleasant in a couple of posts.

D

DHMagicMan_1

Besides, maybe in the future we can get Banana or other trees as rewards for turning in 12 mutants or 24 succulants etc... see the thread discussing BoDs and Quests for gardeners. :)

F

Fink

If they looked as good as they did in KR and/or they gave bananas I'd be interested. Where I'm from banana trees are a haven for some deadly species of spider, so I wouldn't mind a spider-spawning banana tree either.:spider:

F

Flora Green

If they looked as good as they did in KR and/or they gave bananas I'd be interested. Where I'm from banana trees are a haven for some deadly species of spider, so I wouldn't mind a spider-spawning banana tree either.:spider:
See, now she'll probably give us the banana tree with a nasty spider attached to it. I think I'd have to leave that out of my garden. :D