• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bags, bags bags....!!!

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found a bag in the Caverns of the Discarded. And another. And another. Hundreds of 'em! WHERE THEY COME FROM???? Also a few talismans. I was thinking, quest rewards, but...so damn MANY??? Help me, I'm drowning in 'em!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are items that players have thrown away, they end up in the Cavern of the "discarded". sounds like someone was doing the quests in the Elven Tree.

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh? Elven Tree quest? Damn, missed that one - thanks!! Is it just here on Origin? No bags on Catskills! (....yet?)
[Edit: can't find any reference to this quest - can you point me in the right direction, plz? I wonder if it's a new quest, "Origin-only" to begin with, as the bagflood only started a couple of days ago?]

Yep, Caverns of the Discarded is where I find heaps of great stuff - it's amazing what people will throw away!! Occasionally, tho, the place will be knee-deep in spell books (GM scribe trying for a demon slayer book?), or bags (from this new quest!), or other craft-training items - so I kill a rat or 2 and fill the corpses with the repeat items, as far as my sanity will allow. That way, I can find the "keep" items more easily.

(A thought: some of the "clean-up" discards find their way here too - there's no obvious reason why I can't take 'em home and re-discard them, is there? Sounds like an exploit, getting points twice for the same item - should I worry?)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are quests that are offered in "heartwood". a giant tree that the Elves call home. there are quests for Tinkering, Carpentry, Smithing, and Tailoring. they offer Recipe's for crafted items in these skills, plus things like runic Fletching kits, and runic Saws for Carpentry. you also get items like armor and weapons that you can unravel (check them for useful mods first).

To get there, you go to the center of old Yew (what used to be a swamp) and you will see an Elven emissary (I think that's what she is called) with a little gate that kinda looks like a single energy field wave, Step through that gate and start talking to the Elves there. some offer quests to kill monsters, others offer quests to get to special places, like where Miasma is (sorry been out of the game a while, and forget the names of the places), and then the others offer the Skill quests. Good Luck!

when you start Doing the quests, you will understand where all the bags come from ;)

To answer your question pertaining to the "repeat" clean up items, I guess if it ends up in the cavern, it is yours to pick up and "throw away" again. as to the "legality" of this, I cannot say, That would be an answer for a Dev, or at the very least, someone who still actively plays the game. *salutes*

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I see, you mean THOSE quests! Yes, I know them well, been doing them since they first arrived *groan* - but those (the crafting ones, anyway) always give backpacks, not bags. Maybe it's the "kill" quests that give bags?

It's just that all of a sudden, it's bags, bags, bags, by the hundred (yes I've counted!) so I wondered if something new was afoot!

Thanks for the help btw, and sorry to be a nuisance :)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You get bags from the various quests that give "Bag of trinkets" as a reward. Iosep in Jhelom is one of them, you don't need to go into Heartwood for his. The stuff in these bags aren't worth much, they are geared towards newbies, or for getting low level stuff to unravel for Imbuing gains.