• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Axe Warrior

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible these days to have a template that uses Lumberjacking for the axe bonus?
I ran a Pure Paladin temp but that's no longer effective so i'd like to go back to using my trusty old Executioners axes.

Any ideas out there how I may make the temp up?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
There's a general agreement around these parts that a pure paladin remains a highly effective template.

Can you post your stats/skills/suit? Maybe you just need a tweak to your current template/armor/methodology.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swords/parry/chiv/anat/tact at 120
Healing at 100 and rest in focus.
Used to have 100 Resist but had to drop it for healing due to new Chiv nerf and I couldn't heal using Close wounds reliably anymore.
Str 95 ,Dex 110 ,Int 50 (255max)
Use the Scouts 6 piece set and +20 SSI jewels.

Yes before you say it I know, it aint top end set up but I aint rich enough for an uber suit.

This was just my Melee char that I used to have fun running around in, but not anymore.

Now I want to run around screaming while waving an Executioners axe about. ;)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You wouldn't even need an "uber suit" if you have a crafter (incl imbue) you could easily make yourself something WAY better than that, without even using anything more than rewards from small smith bods, and gems/residue/essence/relics.

What do your weapons look like?

That's the pure paladin build that people run, and can solo most anything, you're just not maximizing it's potential.

If you want to run a build with LJ, simply drop parry for LJ as parry w/o bush is not very effective with 2h weapons. (only 20% chance to block...) PLus with a 100% HLL axe doing axe damage, you'll leech a fair amount of life that way. Plus LJ counts for the 5 mana reduction for specials.

I've noticed that my axer doesn't seem to get the LJ bonus all the time though for some reason.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't Bushido be better for 2 handed axes? also I could drop healing the and use Confidence freeing up the 100 needed for lumberjacking?

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the LJ bonus even worth it? I haven't used an LJ template before, but it seems like 100 skill points for a 30% damage increase isn't much. That's about a 4-5 point different in non-slayer damage, roughly. Just curious.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I would say that no, LJ is not a good investment in skill points.

The OP specifically said he wanted to run an LJ template, so I gave my suggestion based on what I thought might be most effective.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, my bad. I thought for some reason that having GM Lumberjack gave an SSI bonus if using axes.....
....guess i'll just have to join the clones and make a samphire... :/

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You don't need to make a sampire. You can make do with healing, high life leech weapons with proper elemental damage for the slayer you are using and chiv/parry alone.
You can also throw bushido and drop parry to 60 and anatomy to lower (use the +10 anatomy talisman from the turn in rewards to help). Craft yourself a half decent studded or plate armour and go kick butt.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I put LJ on a template recently (partly just to see if it gained from being used as a dexxer (which it now does!) and really wanted a reason to keep it, but sadly no, it just isn't worth the points.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
And if you are running human, you got 20% joat lumberjacking that triggers the extra damage every once in a while as well. LJ is sadly not worth the invested points, as the extra damage will only trigger seldom.

Ioan Septim

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
LJ is worth 100 points. A good wep is a must.

I know its hard for a new player to have different skills stoned. For example to have 80/100/120 chivalry, 60/100/120 parry, same bushido, healing etc. What i want to say here is that every spawn is different and sometimes resisting spells are better then parrying etc. so you just swap one skill for another, same with LJ and other skills.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
What weapon is being used in the top video that has 100% hit area... and is hitting for so much damage on the area affect? I run hit fire area for my undead slayer WW weapon, but my area hits don't do nearly that much damage.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a note on the video around 1:10 or so, the weapon is a double axe with hit fire area 70%, life leech 81%, mana leech 81%, stamina leech 50% and undead slayer. From the looks of it he's double striking everything causing the area effect to proc twice.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But what suits are those guys in the vids wearing? they are taking almost zero damage to start with, yeah most mobs are easy when they cant damage you.
I'd love to know what else he's using as you don't get those numbers just off that temp and a weapon.....

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What's your full template for this toon?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
There is a note on the video around 1:10 or so, the weapon is a double axe with hit fire area 70%, life leech 81%, mana leech 81%, stamina leech 50% and undead slayer. From the looks of it he's double striking everything causing the area effect to proc twice.
Hmm - pretty much everything in the first level will be 1 hit killed by a double axe... so I fail to see how using double strike would cause 2 hit areas since the 2nd strike never lands on anything.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But what suits are those guys in the vids wearing? they are taking almost zero damage to start with, yeah most mobs are easy when they cant damage you.
I'd love to know what else he's using as you don't get those numbers just off that temp and a weapon.....
All 70's resist, 45 Defence chance increase, 150 Str (probably) 25 Hit point increase (max) and he's riding an armored swamp dragon which absorbs 20% of the damage he would take. This is a pretty standard baseline for a "boss" fighting melee temp, not mentioning the other stats like lower mana cost and stamina increase.

The main thing in the top vid that makes it look like he's taking no damage is the hit life leech on his weapon. When it hits a group of monsters for high damage or double strikes it heals any damage he takes before it can get down below even 100 hps.

In the second video he is using the more standard vampirc embrace, which heals you a flat 20% of the damage you do with your weapon.

RaresNwARES

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is it possible these days to have a template that uses Lumberjacking for the axe bonus?
I ran a Pure Paladin temp but that's no longer effective so i'd like to go back to using my trusty old Executioners axes.

I think i have something for you. Remember to use whirlwind weps for spawns and arrows for the bosses/bigger things.
120 Swords
120 Archery or Resist
100 Tactice
100 Chiv
100 Lumberjack
90 Anatomy
90 Healing
Use Double Axes with slayers and have fun. :)

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran

120 sword
120 tactics
80 bushido (honor)
100 LJ/RS/Healing
95 chivalry (eoo)
120 anatomy
60 necro (corpse skin)
85 SS
It's 780 skill points but you may reduce SS, chivalry, anatomy, tactics (although it's easy to get 60 skills on a suit).
It's a very nice template - I used it myself.
You need two axes - one poison and one fire.

p.s. now you can add onslought but I don't know how it works

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In the first video how is he getting the fire area to go off on every hit, he isn't double striking and isn't doing whirlwind, I thought the hit area % at 71% doesn't mean the chance for hit area to proc is 71%, it is the % of damage done to those IF the area effect goes off - ie if you have a hit area 50% weapon and you hit the target mob for 100 damage and the area effect procs, it does 50 damage to those in the area.

I use 50% area throwing weapons at spawns and either I have very bad luck ALL the time or its a slight coincidence that the probably 1 in 4 times that it happens it does exactly 50% of the damage I dealt to those in the area.

I suppose what Im asking is does the hit area % apply to the chance the area effect will proc, or the damage it will do when it does, or does it infact apply to both things?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
That is an interesting thought, whitewitch. I think you're on to something. I was watching my hit area proc the other day at the ratman spawn, and I seemed to notice a similar affect. When I went with EoO against the dire wolves in level 2 it sure seemed like not only was I hitting harder, but my hit area was hitting harder.

It is hard to really count, since it's tough to always guarantee that you have multiple monsters in range for long periods of time, etc., but it sure seems that my hit area 50% weapons sure seem to trigger the effect 50% of the time.

I will try to do some testing somehow later. It'll be a pain in the butt to come up with the scenario, but we'll see. That would definitely explain how he's doing so much damage in the video with the hit area...

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Hit Area is the chance that the effect will go off, the damage is based on the damage of your main hit then factors in the targets resists, Hit Area on weapons with low base damage is therefore less effective.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Does SDI affect the damage done by hit area? I seem to recall someone discovering that it did modify hit spell damage.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I did some testing. Took my hit area weapon into a spawn and was watching for the hit area damage vs the amount from the hit.

I can definitively say that the bigger the first hit is, the more the hit area damage is.

I am nearly certain that the damage is also modified by the hit area % of the weapon as well. Here's my logic. In level 1 of the 'Coon spawn, we get slimes and giant rats. The damage being done to the mobs is errily almost exactly (damage from my hit) * (weapons chance to hit area) * (1- resist of nearby stuff). For instance, against a lizardman with a hit cold area, I did 69 damage from the swing, and 30 from the hit area. Then I decided to look at a 100% hit area, so I found my serpent fang and the hit area from this was just about the same ration as from my other attempt.

It would seem, then, that hit area damage is always 50% of the weapon damage, then factor in the armor rating of the target. I did not bother to try anything with SDI on it...

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That's excellent news that the % is actually the chance for it to proc rather than the damage amount, thanks for the info, unfortunately I'm having no luck trying to runic reforge a soul glaive with hit area, wasted 4 hammers now set to "vicious/of the slaughter" and not a single one of them had any sort of hit area on it, kind of stupid how I get random properties more often than I get any from the name I selected.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You're using a copper hammer, plain (aka not powerful), then the title - so 3 charges? I would think that getting at least some hit area (like 40% or something) would happen in the range of 1 in 5 or 1 in 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see that getting >50% of it would be pretty rare - something like 1 in 25? If my 1 in 25ish guess is right, that you're 0 for 50 wouldn't be particularly troubling. But not getting any hit spell sounds peculiar to me. Might be time to head over to TC where you can pound out tons of attempts with no problem.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Strangely when using Focus Attack for 100% Hit Area the effect doesn't always trigger. Though that is likely to be more of an issue with FA than HA.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You're using a copper hammer, plain (aka not powerful), then the title - so 3 charges? I would think that getting at least some hit area (like 40% or something) would happen in the range of 1 in 5 or 1 in 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see that getting >50% of it would be pretty rare - something like 1 in 25? If my 1 in 25ish guess is right, that you're 0 for 50 wouldn't be particularly troubling. But not getting any hit spell sounds peculiar to me. Might be time to head over to TC where you can pound out tons of attempts with no problem.
I was using powerful, 4 charges, first used up a copper, decided to use 2 bronzes after that as I have a few of those and find them less useful, did get some hit spells+junk, no hit area at all

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I remember runic reforge being bugged for ranged weapons. You couldn't get hit area on bows/crossbows as well.
They might have fixed those but forgot about throwing weapons.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I did some testing on TC and with a copper, 1 title, viscious/slaughter (3 charges), within just a few tries I was able to get 50% hit area, so maybe just the throwing, or ranged, weapons are buggy

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Ok, so it took me roughly 120 charges (so ~40 tries) to get a 70% Hit Area longsword.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
reforged150 soul glaives on TC 1 using a copper at 3 charges on viscious/of the slaughter, that's 450 charges, not a single one had any form of hit area of any amount, what BS, glad didn't carry on trying this on my real shard.