• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Awful lag, please help!

A

Azural Kane

Having a lot of trouble with lag...

Am running on XP on an AMD Athlon "thoroughbred" 2200 (1.8ghz) processor... 512mb ram... and only a GeForce 3 AGP 4x card but it has 128mb vram.

Everytime I'm in Luna I essentially cannot fight there due to lag. Especially when running in town... all the vendor names popping up on screen, slows me down to where I'm lagging worse than what one would think you should on a 10 year old game...

I've tried with and without Automap etc running and always get the same effect. i've toyed some with "reduce framerate" and "allow frame skipping" and all these do really, is actually seem to cause more lag.

This computer isn't the best by far... but it's not ancient... it's a relatively fresh format and seems to have been doing this since day one. I defrag, virus scan, regclean regularly and have all the latest windows updates etc.

The laptop I used to use from my old job which was a Dell 2.12ghz laptop witha radeon x600 card has NO problems ever, in any area of the game.

Anyone have any suggestions?

There are times when after fighting in Luna my processor goes up to 100% and does not climb down. But I noticed it starts climbing down a bit if I close character bars... which is weird... how could they cause a lot of lag, just having people's bars open?

Generally once I load the game it starts at about 15-20% processor usage but once goes up and up from there...

Thanks for any advice as to what I could maybe try.

I

IPlayUOTOOMuCH

Why don't you ask all yer KoC buddies . Im sure theyll help you..Muhaha

I

imported_Goron

try turning off Razor, might free up some system resources.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Open your ms.dos prompt and type "Ping SiegePerilous.owo.com" check what ur ping is to the server....

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

try turning off Razor, might free up some system resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to read my post. I've tried with only UO running, not Automap, not UOA, not anything. Also have tried With Automap, UOA, etc.

As for my tracert here it is... <blockquote><hr>

Tracing route to central-ae4.owo.com [159.153.233.47]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 &lt;1 ms &lt;1 ms &lt;1 ms dslrouter [192.168.1.1]
2 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms 10.30.6.1
3 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms so-1-2-0-0.CORE-RTR1.ROA.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.16.240]
4 37 ms 36 ms 36 ms so-2-1-3-0.BB-RTR1.RES.verizon-gni.net [130.81.2
0.0]
5 39 ms 39 ms 38 ms 0.so-5-1-0.XT1.DCA5.ALTER.NET [152.63.36.205]
6 38 ms 38 ms 38 ms 0.so-0-0-0.XL3.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.36.25]
7 39 ms 37 ms 39 ms GigE6-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.33.13]
8 40 ms 39 ms 40 ms ea-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.82.94]
9 39 ms 39 ms 40 ms fert08-eqx-iad.ea.com [159.153.224.238]
10 39 ms 40 ms 40 ms 159.153.233.47

Trace complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything seems fine there, even have the UO ports forwarded in my router

G

Yeah, I'm pinging about the same, and still I lag big-time either in luna or whenever some of the KOC come onto the screen.

First, put the housing cache in the paperdoll-options tab down to 1. That'll help a lot in luna, but you'll sometimes get weird stuff like bumping into a house that doesn't appear to be there!

I

imported_mo'gluk

I hope all the jests about razor and illegal programs are just that ....jests, jokes,funnies or some such remark that is not meant to be taken seriously

I

imported_Pestilence Hemp

you need more ram. im running bout the same as you athlon 2600, i only had 512 ram went and got more now 1 gig. runs alot better. if you can get more then that do it.

I

imported_Enigma EB2

<blockquote><hr>

you need more ram. im running bout the same as you athlon 2600, i only had 512 ram went and got more now 1 gig. runs alot better. if you can get more then that do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree i went from 512 to over 2 gig and i swear you wont even notice lag in luna any more. But then can your PC handle it or is it a better choice to buy a whole new PC. Common whats 6500 bucks for if not to dominate at UO.