• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aussie games classifications (OT)

T

Teeshy

Just for anyone who's interested, the government has released a discussion paper, and is asking for submissions on an R18+ classification for games

http://www.ag.gov.au/gamesclassification

As far as I'm aware, it's the attorney-general of SA that has been blocking the rating 'til now, and if you're interested, there's a party been formed to run against him to try and force the issue:

http://www.gamers4croydon.org/

S

siyeng0

Wait, so they're asking the public to recommend games that ought to receive an R 18+ rating?

I recommend UO. I started playing when I was thirteen; if we changed the rating, it'd solve this sort of problem. Plus, I'm not sure how I would explain to my younger relatives why, when I die, my corpse is always naked when I get back to it. This is a very adult concept.

I also recommend Lemmings. The "blagh" sound that they make when they splatter on the ground can be very traumatic to young minds and will surely contribute to our rising crime rate.

Finally, Solitaire. I cannot remember a single thing that I learnt in high school, but I remember the fact that my win rate at Solitaire was approximately 0.001%. I think it was something like three out of eight thousand games. How did I find the time to play eight thousand games of Solitaire? By sacrificing non-essential time-consuming activities, like schoolwork. And I know I was not the only one who missed out on a proper education due to the lure of the demon game. This is why our country is going down the drain.

T

Teeshy

=P

Asking for submissions of opinion on whether there should be an 18+ rating. The actual question they are asking is "Should the Australian National Classification Scheme include an R 18+ classification category for computer games?"

... I agree with lemmings ;)

K

Katlene

I think there should be an 18+ rating on pretty much all mmporg's.
Theres a certain level of maturity someone needs to reach before being allowed to interact with other people in an on-line format.
Being behind a computer allows people to 'be someone other then who they really are'
Like a 16 yr old kid talking it up like TV gangster thinking they are the most awesome thing to ever touch a keyboard, when they are a scrawny socially inept mummy's boy who'd cop a slap in the face if they talked that way in real life.
Just because it is a game, it doesn't stop real life emotions and feelings, and some things that are said and done can have a serious impact.
Their behavior also mars other peoples experiences playing the game.
Granted i have come across some great kids in the games i play/ed but they are definitely out numbered by the no so great.

F

Fink

Like a 16 yr old kid talking it up like TV gangster thinking they are the most awesome thing to ever touch a keyboard, when they are a scrawny socially inept mummy's boy who'd cop a slap in the face if they talked that way in real life.
:postpics:

S

ScMiTZ

Its all well and good to make the MMO's 18+ in an effort to keep the immature children out. But that wont stop their parents buying it for them.

I was in EB games last week and saw a 13 yea old kid walk out with a big smile on his face because his mum just bought him a WoW gametime card. Unbelievable....