• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Auction house?

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys!!

I've been chatting to various people over the last few weeks to get a feel for Catskills. Now I feel I've done that I've noticed that the community on our shard has fallen behind a little compared to those like Chessy and Pacs but that can all change if we all work together a little.

Thus I am thinking about setting up a regular auction house on the shard (Most likely weekly) and possibly running the odd event here and there. The question is... Would YOU support the auction house by attending/listing items for sale/donating to events etc?

I've been running events of some kind in UO for years (I've done House Drops, Auctions, Dungeon runs with prizes, Q&A's, DJing, GMing RP guilds etc). So if I put the time in... would you lot too?

Please let me know and if positive then I'll get the auction house underway!

Sal

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would attend just on the off chance there might be something I could afford.
However I am easily the poorest collector on Catskills.

thechuck

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats up Sal, its Ducan... I have been wanting to create an auction house for awhile now Sal.. I would def help you out if you need some man power to run them..
I have always loved them and think they are great for the community. A good auction house could help everyone from poor to rich. Its a easier way for even the little guy to sell some items off and put extra gold in there pockets..

There were i think 2 people that have tried to set one up in the last like year but they both failed and stoped.. I have few ideas why that is..
One they werent prepared for it to take some time to actually get a nice solid steady loyal group of people to attend the auctions. They thought hey if i make a auction everyone will come buy items and i will add alot more gold in my pockets taking my cut...
I dont think they were fully prepared before they attempted it..
Once they both had maybe 2 or 3 auctions and people failed to come. they quit right away with it..
Another is i dont think that they were advertising it enough and talking to people about adding items and attending one..
Also a big reason were the prices on the items... Every item that was entered basicly had a insane starting price bc i guess they were afraid to lose out on gold.. Example i remember one had a tangle with a starting pric at 10 mil. Another item they had night eyes for like 300-400k starting bid.. In my opinion that just wont work its to high. That was basicly the street value i guess you can call it of that item.. There wasnt any room for the buyers to bid up or even get a decent deal on it..

You would def need to have a wide range of items to so you can attract different levels of buyers.. You need some low end items, high end items, some bundled up items so you can hit all the markets...

I have attended aton of auctions in my days, all are run different but the successfull ones seem to have more in common..
This is something that i would def love to do and helpout with.. I also own a good amount of houses and could use one for the auction house if a place is needed..

I think its a great idea you just have to get the community to help and get into it

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forget auction houses, do storage wars!!

On an 18 by 18 plot, build a bunch of lockers, Open the doors and let the people look inside, Set some chests with things in them, and some items scattered across the floors or hung on walls. Then take bids with the highest bidder being given access to his room and contents. Then move on to the next locker.

You can have high end and low end lockers. And some that are a bit in between. Each auction, choose one of the lockers to hide a really nice item in. This will encourage repeat business, and also be something of a treasure hunter to those bidding.

You could actually do this as a traveling event, holding one in a different town or area each time. With the popularity of the show, I think this could be a hoot.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Forget auction houses, do storage wars!!

On an 18 by 18 plot, build a bunch of lockers, Open the doors and let the people look inside, Set some chests with things in them, and some items scattered across the floors or hung on walls. Then take bids with the highest bidder being given access to his room and contents. Then move on to the next locker.

You can have high end and low end lockers. And some that are a bit in between. Each auction, choose one of the lockers to hide a really nice item in. This will encourage repeat business, and also be something of a treasure hunter to those bidding.

You could actually do this as a traveling event, holding one in a different town or area each time. With the popularity of the show, I think this could be a hoot.
Why don't YOU do this. That's right. I said it.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't expect Aedon to do anything he's an old man who likes to yell at kids on his lawn!