• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attacking nearest/next target help!

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok... I need some help with attacking next or closest target...

Heres my scenario.. I use whirlwind all the time in champ spawns with my sampire. The problem is I miss an attack because I kill my last target and the next auto target is out of range. So I am constantly trying to click the nearest target... unfortunately a lot of times I click myself and dismount, or click a corpse and open it or click a target that is standing outside the nearest enemies.. this usually results in death when I am surrounded by Liche Lords and rotting corpes.

I see there are a few macros in the list such as "target next", Select nearest, attackselected target and so forth...

Are these the macros I need to use? If so whats the best way to set them up? Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me out on this?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is what I do on EC:

wheel down: target nearest enemy
wheel up: attack current target

and it's done :)

J

[JD]

the ec seems to have a lot of bugs regarding targeting, especially "nearest" enemy target.

i found that it can sometimes get the "nearest" target wrong, and no amount of hitting that macro ever changed target for me - it kept retargeting "nearest" - even if it was wrong.

instead i switched to "target next enemy" to let me cycle through targets; also useful for pvp target selection.

i have 2 macros:

1) target next enemy
2) honor>select special whirlwind>attack current target**

** there are a couple more things here like cursor target current or wait for target etc.. I can post the entire exact macro when I get home if you want to play with it.

doing it this way lets me cycle through a few targets and hopefully one of them is closest. if not, i hit my divine aura macro to refresh sta and move a little bit to get in a different position and try to hit my target next enemy and whirlwind again.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic client I have a macro for select nearest mobile, attack selected. I just mash the key with my banana hands and it seems to do fine.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I do ctrl-shift and pull tags that way. I keep hitting my primary ability macro (whirlwind). It took a little practice at first, but now I'm used to it.

I also found it is best to target the monster with the most hit points (or the one that takes you the most swings to kill). Such as poison elementals when I have an arachnid slayer equipped. The Terathan avengers fall faster due to the slayer. This way you have to change targets less often. You kill the lesser stuff with whirlwind and minimize any down time between attacks.

-OBSIDIAN-

L

longshanks

im assuming ur macro mw up mw down is in enhanced client.

anyway this can be done using uoa?

thanks

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You can assign the mouse wheel up/down on the keys page in UOA. Just click in the box where you put the key and roll the wheel.

L

longshanks

You can assign the mouse wheel up/down on the keys page in UOA. Just click in the box where you put the key and roll the wheel.
i'm aware of this as i use it to drink pots.

my question is can you make a select nearest mobile attack selected macro in uoa.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

No but you can in UO, and you can use the Pass TO UO checkbox on the UOA keys page to make it read the macro for the same key. (Should you want it on the mouse wheel.)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm aware of this as i use it to drink pots.

my question is can you make a select nearest mobile attack selected macro in uoa.
On some mice you can map the scroll up / down to a different keypress, then set a UO macro for that key.

I don't know that you can set an internal UO macro to mouse wheel though.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the posts and many reply's...

I use the classic client and after reading Lynks post and messing around with that macro set up.. I have found it to work quite exceptionally!

I have been working with it the last few days and have become very effective using it!

Thanks!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i use the cc and set the keys like this:
z = whirlwind special
x = target nearest hostile
c = attack hostile

that way i can lounge back and just mash those 3 keys in order. works pretty sweet.

i also use v for open paperdoll. it makes everything on the screen target u. easier to get hostiles.

so, it would look something like this....
run around and mash v repeatedly, then run into the biggest group while hitting z, once im next to a hostile i hit x (slight pause) c.
by the time that happens, u have monsters closing on u and i start doin the zxc combo.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Opening your paperdoll while moving causes you to rubberband, which causes everything nearby to flag on you, like Teleporting.

Kayne.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can only use the Target nearest etc with the new targeting in CC right?
I hate it, i use the old way :( Target next/attack last.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to hate it too.. but when I bought a nostromo I started using it so I didn't have to do CTRL+SHIFT to grab a bar in PvP before.

No I rarely ever crash while fighting, so I really recommend getting used to it!

CTRL + SHIFT will crash you!

J

[JD]

I have a nostromo left over from my DAOC days of playing a red-con charming PVP minstrel... how did you set yours up to grab bars?

Grabbing bars is one of the most annoying things with people running speeders and zipping around your screen at warp 10.

i'm in the EC, but there's probably a way

Kayne.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is the one thing I am horrible at. If someone stops to attack for a second, gets a spell off and runs I have trouble attacking lol.

I just wish you could choose different targeting bars

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a nostromo left over from my DAOC days of playing a red-con charming PVP minstrel... how did you set yours up to grab bars?

Grabbing bars is one of the most annoying things with people running speeders and zipping around your screen at warp 10.

i'm in the EC, but there's probably a way
I have 3 keys for bars. Select Next Mobile, Select Previous Mobile, Select Nearest Mobile. With the new targetting system, it actually pulls their bar when you toggle targets. If the target caller I'm fighting with calls a target that is on the other side of the screen and a bunch of mobiles in between I have to manually drag, but I usually position myself to use the new keys.

It took ALOT of planning to set up my macros to fit them all in. But I managed to do it.

I use:

(the little circle button right above the D-Pad I set as 'CTRL'. That basically doubles the amount of macros I have available)

and...

I put all of my consumable/use item/equip/mount/disarm/arm keys on those 14 mouse keys. On the nostromo I've got all of my spells/abilities. It is super nice, because i have 2 sets of macros. One set of macros for dexers, one set of macros for mages.

It's taken me about a month to really get used to my new macros but now that I'm used to it, and I can use the new targeting system it is totally worth it.

It is also really nice because once I set the UO macros and UOAssist Macros, I copied those files out and saved them in a separate location. Now when I made new characters, regardless of the templates, I can just paste those in the UOA and UO character folders and I don't have to do the tedious process of setting up a new character.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boy am I behind the times. Lynx, that is amazing. So is it a combination of a multi-button mouse with a separate mini-keyboard input device?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boy am I behind the times. Lynx, that is amazing. So it it a combination of a multi-button mouse with a separate mini-keyboard input device?
That is correct. And both devices come with software so you can map out what each button does. So for example, button 1 I have assinged to F1, and the thumb button is my caps lock key which I use to speak in ventrillo.

J

[JD]

are you talking about the EC new targeting system?

cause it doesn't automatically pull bars for me... never has. maybe it's a custom UI or something..

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are you talking about the EC new targeting system?

cause it doesn't automatically pull bars for me... never has. maybe it's a custom UI or something..
No.. classic client.

C

Capt.E

+1 nostomo user here as well. Had it for 6 years now. cant play without it. Once you get all your stuff set up its a dream. I actually toggle between 3 sets of macros. You can setup a green, red, and normal function so each button, depending on which light is on does a different macro. then you toggle the light to get to that set of macros.