• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ashyn's Stone Kitchen Tutorial

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aha! So that's how you do the corner piece. I recustomized my house, left a 1 tile space on the outside, chopped down my wall so I could fit another middle piece in the corner :D

R

Roddie Coghill

Terrific post this should be stickied for sure. Thanks for taking the time to post this information

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks a bunch for the tutorial Ashyn! That was a lot of work for you, but like all tutorials will benefit many decorators and make Britannia a more beautiful (hopefully) place. :p

Also...about that lockdown thing - I will add to your cautionary tale by saying I have learned to my sorrow that it is very easy to overlook a lockdown of a chopped add on component in a very element heavy design. I have had whole designs ruined because 1 piece that had to be done early on was not locked down and went *poof*. Now, no matter how much I am tempted, I do not enter customize mode when I think I'm "done" with a design and later get an inspiration - it is just too much potential frustration for me to risk. With the scarcity of colored stone now with the stupid random ore changes, it is enough to make me want to cry when I lose hours worth of mining time spent acquiring the stone for the add-ons in an accident or worse, lose a Tokuno dyed add-on (such as an arcane circle) when the dyes can no longer be obtained. :eek:

-Skylark

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, keep in mind that you can use other add-ons to make your counters, although the stone tables are uniquely suited for perfectly filling in the top when you use custom tile walls for the counter base, you can still use Ashyn's basic techniques and apply them to other add-ons to create different looks.

In this case, the ornate elven table makes a pretty counter top. The main problem with the ornate table is that the corners are rounded so it is not suitable for using for a flush right angle section in a room corner - you need another add-on to fill the corner or you would need at least 1 space from the wall to make your turn and form a right angle using the elven table, although I think it would look odd with the design, as it will not line up. I think it would work to use a stone table section for the corner piece for a wrap around counter, and continue the elven table counter in the other direction. I plan to experiment with that later, and see how it works.

-Skylark

B

Bodhi

Man your crazy... But in a good way!!!!! Thank you for this well-made tutorial ;)

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those are some of the best counters ive ever seen, but for some reason they seem alittle high to me. Great job anyways.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or some reason they seem alittle high to me.
Heh...well they probably seem high to you, because they are...Ashyn's technique is placing counter tops above half height walls from the custom housing menu...strictly speaking for character height that is too tall but we take what we can get in UO deco creating nice effects, they don't have to necessarily scale realistically to our avatars, although it is a nice plus when they do. Then again, if most items that we build things with scaled to our avatar we would need magnifying glasses to see the graphics and couldn't use them anyway. :D

-Skylark

C

Calla Lily

Great tutorial, thanks for all the hard work in making the screenies!

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you so much for the tutorial, I love your counters!

I had an itch to decorate a tower (well, at least a floor..) lately, and I wasn't going to go place or buy one to do so. So I bugged my boyfriend to let me do a floor in his. Not sure where else to post it but this seems like the semi-right thread?

http://i37.***********/28b8egl.jpg

It took me two dayssss of mining for all those tables, and I messed up like three times so that was triple the amount I really needed to get, lol.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you SO much for posting this! :) I am hyped about doing it in my own house, as soon as I can find the stone/tables for it... it's nearly impossible to find large stone tables on vendors these days, and I haven't quite gotten my miner up to par yet... :p *runs off to work on mining*

L

Leana Sidhe

:drool:
Wow..... thank you thank you! I can hardly wait to get home to try this out myself now!!!
Thanks for all that time!!! *goes back to staring at work clock*

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zynia,

I really like that corner treatment with the opposite facing Heritage nets placed so their ends meet to form a center "tier" and the seeds for tassels. Great idea!

*yanks piece out to add to deco snippets sticky*

-Skylark

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I had an itch to decorate a tower (well, at least a floor..) lately, and I wasn't going to go place or buy one to do so. So I bugged my boyfriend to let me do a floor in his. Not sure where else to post it but this seems like the semi-right thread?

It took me two dayssss of mining for all those tables, and I messed up like three times so that was triple the amount I really needed to get, lol.
I was looking back over this room and had a cute idea for your stove.

Yours:

With a set of cups dyed with tokuno red:

I think the orange would look better, but the red I had leftover from an old deco experiment and I didn't want to burn a tokuno charge on them or making the stove actually grey hehe.

Anways I think the stove in my pic is a little lower than yours which would keep yours from being flush with the counters. But not terribly noticeable.

To do it you have to stack three small tables on the tile directly southeast of where the range will be, then you have to make a mini elevator (two square goza mats, the first raised 2 and the second raised 4) so you can stand high enough to place the cups on the top table. Stand on the top goza mat then put the cups on the top table. Lock them down and remove the middle table then the other tables.

Thats as high as they can go, any higher and they will pop above the ceiling. Sorry about the poor picture quality, I'm currently using paint and it has terrible bleeding issues. :p

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's cute Sarsmi! But unfortunately everybodys turning in WHATEVER they can on Great Lakes! And I'm onto decorating other things, lol. I'll have to add that into the current kitchen I'm working on though. Thank you!

J

jgruberman

Just a note that Ashyn left UO and she will be missed. Her time was done and interest was just lost. I miss the gal already.

A

Amathist of PoC

That is truly sad that a wonderful and gifted decorator has left the game. Hopefully your interest will return one day. Thank you for the great stone kitchen tutorial.

M

monnie101

Wow that is really awesome she did a great job. Maybe she will come back and visit. I decorate still but in EQ2 and emu shards.

That is a great tutorial there

C

Connor_Graham

Ahsyn helped me out with the deco inside my new house, and included her stone kitchen in the design so I thought I'd add a picture of it here. You should have been there when she realized she was going to be able to do her favorite deco in my house lol. Anyway, here's the kitchen:

A

Ashyn

Ahsyn helped me out with the deco inside my new house, and included her stone kitchen in the design so I thought I'd add a picture of it here. You should have been there when she realized she was going to be able to do her favorite deco in my house lol. Anyway, here's the kitchen:

Yes. I came back to visit Conner and help him with the interior of his house - And dammit - I now have an 18 x 18 in Zento (my faviorite place - thanks to Roland for helping me get it) and have fully decoed it. Ha ha ha!!!! I'll post the new kitchen here in a while and the full design on the other post.

I think it was all trickery on Conner's part - he knows how hooked I get on deco...dangled that carrot right in my face and off I went to take a bite!!!

A

Ashyn

You have no idea how many tables I lost when I first started (and still do every so often). The worst part is, when you mine the 9 stones, deep down you know you'll be "chopping up" 6 of them. LOL! Pacific is pretty lucky - there is a handful of "stone" vendors so semi-easy to buy if you know where to look.

Now about your "stove" ....Those break in half (yeah, yeah, yeah...axe fetish, I know). The right half is the useable portion (but it is not the "container" portion so it's unusable as a container after broken - the left half can be used as a container if broken, but it doesn't fit propperly - a long edge bangs into things).

I've chopped those in half, kept the right portion, stacked another above (raised gazas), chopped and used the right half again, lowering to the other. In the end, it looks like a set of drawers and is very cute next to a kitchen sink counter.

You did a great job! Thanks for the compliment on the counters and tutorial. It's great to see it being used with more ideas coming out of it.

A

Ashyn

Those are some of the best counters ive ever seen, but for some reason they seem alittle high to me. Great job anyways.

They are a little high. For the tutorial, I left them raised at the edge of the half wall for visibility of where they are. They can be lowered further, and I am guessing that most people have lowered them to where they are appealing to their own eyes.

J

Jusdon

Great tutorial!!!! I've used it twice, but did not get a pic before I totally destroyed my original house design. I clicked commit instead of save... oops... :eek: Anyway here is my kitchen and I used the stone counters in the garden just off the kitchen as well. The house is still a work in progress, but this gives you an idea of how I applied your lessons to my updated Manor house.

Thanks again,
Jusdon

Attachments

L

Lych

Here is a question for you veterans of decoration:

Ms. Ashyn does a great job showing how a chimney can be prevented from going over onto the second floor. My question is, is it necessary to keep the desk on the second floor after the chimney has disappeared? Is it possible to have nothing but floor tiles above the first-floor fireplace?

Thanks!

B

Black Betty

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the desk is covering the chimney.

Ash, thank you so very much for the tutorial! I love this design even though when I did it the first time, I forgot to lock down and went into customize mode and lost most of them and had to start over. Will NEVER happen again, I hope!

Thanks, again, Ash!

Sadie of Europa

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never worked with Gozas and I plan to use this tutorial as my start. Thank you so much for posting this! I'll have to put the photo up of my own creation when I'm done... Might even try placing the stone oven. =]

I

Infiniti

Simply awesome tutorial Ashyn. Thank you for all the pic's and all your hard work. :thumbsup:

L

LadyAkasha

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial and the amazing kitchen!!

Edit: I got my problem fixed, not sure why it wasnt working

A

Ashyn

Re: The stone Kitchen.

Here is a question for you veterans of decoration:

Ms. Ashyn does a great job showing how a chimney can be prevented from going over onto the second floor. My question is, is it necessary to keep the desk on the second floor after the chimney has disappeared? Is it possible to have nothing but floor tiles above the first-floor fireplace?

Thanks!
As far as I know, no matter what you do, a piece of the chimney will poke through the second floor tiles. It will never dissapear.

However, you can cover it with just about anything that it is multi-tile in-game. I've put another stone oven over the first floor chimney by using the same method used with the table/desk (spliting the chimney in two on the third floor, and lowering it down in pieces).

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think the goza is the best decorating tool ever implemented in UO!

^.^

T

TheMac

can you chop up some forges and do it the same way as the table? and will it function?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I chopped a large forge and integrated it into a stone counter... and it works wonderfully. :) Instead of a sink, the player has a forge.

same process as the tables, place on raised goza mats, lower the parts you don't want, chop chop chop, remove goza, lower to sure view.

easy-peasy-pie!

A

Amathist

I have a question, I am currently trying to make this kitchen and have managed to do 2 sections of table but now the 3rd and 4th sections I have tried to make are just not working the table wont break....why is this so?

A

Amathist

Don was helpful enough to show me away to do the tables that involved a table a stack of books and some goza's it worked great kitchen is pretty much all done sink included.

S

Striped Damsel

What is the book method? Im having a problem having my other tables chop.