• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

As the Britain Stone Turns

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mr Hugibear is currently leadin the race with little time left to vote. The score is roughly 52 to 48. We have heard from the Great Lord Hugibear, his views where and how he stands. He seems to have a very large fan club of people who dont like him. The Great Hugibear will have you know, Hugi doesnt hate, dislike or despise anyone. Some seem to forget this is a game and needs to be played as such.
So since Hugi has seemed to stir much emotion in people it takes two people for a race. Where is this other person? What are this persons views? How could anyone have voted for a guy/girl that hasnt been on siege and proves it daily by not being on. This person over the last 3 years has maybe played siege what for a total of a month maybe two. What has this person done for the community? All this talk bout what Hugi has/hasnt done well this turkey has done diddly poo! At least the hugibear is here and tryin to help those in need.
This race isnt to be a popularity contest! (right?) if thats the case no matter what the Lord Hugibear should be the winner than because his opponent has done nothing, except have a few friends with some promo codes.

The Great Lord Hugibear is for insurance, he realizes that something needs to be done to draw people to play this shard. There are only 2 types of players to attract returning and prodo. With that being said, why dont those players still play here anymore. Well in the Great Lord's experience people seem to get very upset over losing there stuff. There has been many a soldiers crying to the Great Lord over the loss of an item. And many that have left because of the difficulty to keep items. If you dont believe the Great Lord please read some of the posts by his victims.

This message bought and paid for by the supporters of the Great Lord Hugibear

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well I thought that this shard was made to be rather like old school Ultima, with no insurance and a more Felucca-based rule-set? I totally understand that "loosing your stuff," can be frustrating, but that should be expected in a shard like this. Remembering also, with old school, there wasn't items that had all these special modifications and flashy looks too them either. So the frustration and aggravation can be understood, that spending time collecting items to form a suit with all of those perks, to have them lost to mobs of people just waiting for the opportunity. However, doesn't this shard want to condone more player vs. player action? Some people see less incentive in even fighting other players, let alone fairly, if their "reward" just isn't enough. Even though the gameplay alone should make it worth the shot by it self, at the same time, when it comes to armor and weapons, all the people just want the best possible items they can get, the most convenient way possible. Unfortunately, in my own opinion, I think bringing item insurance to the shard would be removing one of aspects that gives Siege Perilous its more hardcore edge. At the same time, with the entire game trying to even wrestle some of the competition from these other massive multiplayers, they have to provide some kind of attractive quality to even make people want to play, let alone on Siege. Thinking that they want to be able to bring new players, keep the players they have, and even bring back old players, something would have to change. It seems to me that they juiced up the items stats just to compete with other games, and thus, made all the items way more complicated than they used to be, partly because all of these other games and there equipment with these ridiculous modifiers. I personally think that if people were out in the street fighting with next to nothing (I'm talking maybe street clothes, a couple pieces of armor, and a weapon. not advanced hay-pitching war fork of all hell is going to break loose, and helmet of infinite possibilities to the tenth power, just because it can be conveniently acquired from a friendly neighborhood vendor) and weapons and armor were still as simple as Leather Armor, or Viking Sword, with light prefix and suffix alterations, it would be much easier for the idea of, "ah, oh well, I died. guess I better go see if there is a crafter at the guild house, or town, that may be able to make more," instead of "well, damn. I just spent a lot of time going to dungeons and events, just got jumped by five people on the road between towns, and just lost most of my items." Then when there is the folks that have all that coinage and surplus, its slightly easier for them to replace those items; while the poverty-stricken "newbie," may be able to replace some of the items they acquired in a somewhat timely fashion, and that's going to end up depending on the guild they run with or the caliber of people they put themselves around. See, there again, how do we provide a balance? Some people want to fight people, others want to fight monsters. After that, what do we get for fighting the people and the monsters? The combat experience should suffice, maybe some cool relic, possibly even an item with a special hue, or something that separates it from the basics just a bit. The customization and personalization have always been attractive qualities of this game, as have the gameplay in its own been unique. I think people are becoming way to dependent on items, just like ninety percent of the other massives. The need for skill made a rope out of all the bath towels and sheets, and is climbing out the window, it's still hanging on, but it's going to make a break for it when all of the people become mostly dependent on the latest devices, gear, and whatever else; with no more hands-on experience. So what happens if everyone becomes so spoiled by the convenience, then it gets removed? Everyone just standing there with their mouths open, trying to google how to make a campfire, or the fastest way to pull their socks up, on a piece of tree bark. The game should keep its old mythological, medieval feel if it wants to remain unique. If they keep making more and more complex items, people will be more fascinated by the "shiny watch," then how the damn thing was made in the first place. Everyone's vote and opinion should truly count, so if people want to resolve the insurance issue, this may be the time. Efficiency is very important in sustaining long life, convenience sustains efficiency, too much convenience, however; tilts the balance scale and people loose their will to fight, or play, without noticing. That is, until the convenience gets taken away. Peace

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Be happy these games even exist folks. Bottom line.

"When drinking of the water, a man should always think of the source. Is this not the way we should portray the image of our country?" - Ip Man

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't know Hugi very well, but most people who entertain the idea of bringing insurance here only do so in an effort to hook in more players. If we had insurance, it would be harder for PvPers and thieves to enjoy thier chosen play style. But if we don't have players out and about -at all-, then it effects everyone's game.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been against adding item insurance to Siege in the past, but I think its going to boil down to what is more important to us. Is it going to be full loot or more players? I have watched more than my fair share of players leave this shard frustrated about having to rebuild or buy back suits.,, and ultimately the lack of PvP.

Of course these days most of the Siege demographic doesn't care at all about PvP and those aspects of gameplay.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I´m 100% against insurance on Siege.

With that said, I understand why some would want it added here. It is a potential way to get more players to come to Siege, no doubt about that.
But Pandora´s box comes to mind. Log onto Atlantic or some other prodo shard and listen to the PvPers in General Chat.
And then ask yourself "Do I really want these people and this everyday drama on Siege?"

Cuz it´s most likely those people that would want to come over and have access to PvP on all facets.
I know we can get heated sometimes in GC and talk trash but the kind of trash you hear and behavior you see on prodo is in another league. It´s beyond ********. At least in my experience.
Now I´m not saying every prodo PvPer is like this but too many are. We could end up with guilds full of Diablos and Blahs all trying to mess Siege up as much as possible.

At least now their need for shiny suits keeps them away from Siege...

And this is one of the reasons I´m against it.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I wanted insurance I would of stayed on great lakes, and not come over to Siege.
Anyways either way you get screwed
no insured might lose your stuff, or not depending on who kills ya.
bring insurance to Siege everything you insure will cost ya every time you die, and this is going to be worse than prod shards, because at least they have trammel to escape to.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I wanted insurance I would of stayed on great lakes, and not come over to Siege.
Anyways either way you get screwed
no insured might lose your stuff, or not depending on who kills ya.
bring insurance to Siege everything you insure will cost ya every time you die, and this is going to be worse than prod shards, because at least they have trammel to escape to.
Insurance is just not a good thing. It isn't difficult to make GP to be able to run with decent gear and if one loses said gear it isn't hard to replace it.

Jack Nickelson

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we should all release the stress of an election week with a rumble between the towns. Show up with as many of your citizens as you can (must show citizen title, nothing to do with guild you are in) and last town standing wins a special seat at the king's council (or some other prize). If you are factioned, I guess it is a tiny problem of not being able to get much help from your teammates, but lets not worry so much about small mechanics.

Sorry, maybe I had to much to "dream" last night? But you could count on me being there, at least if RL permits.

*Edit*
And maybe each town could choose a color to make it easy to distinguish teams and everyone wear that color robe respectively. I wouldn't want it to be "foo,foo" in anyway and also no tears. Just wear something you don't mind losing as you never know who might loot/not loot and treat it as pvp (actually try/put in effort) with that in mind even if you are a town of one.

Last edited:

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey what bout the person running against the Bo?
where is he/she? This is what you should expect if you elect him/her into office!
Nobody to speak on his/her behalf? Where is the EM so quick to jump on the hate Lord Hugibear ban wagon?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This wish for Item Insurance seem to be a cheap way to get votes from normal shards PvP players, maybe we need the one who are allowed to vote on Siege to have some skill and hours of playtime on Siege.
This players won't stay here anyway, they are only cheap fake votes, sorry to see that happen.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still waiting for the negative nancys' to have a better idea on how to attack players here.
Bo isnt getting any extra votes because of this view. Prolly the opposite but Bo is tryin to get people to play here.
There is more to this shard than just no insurance. the ability to attack someone anywhere, cept gz. one character per account is so much bigger than people realize. Those last two things really keep the trash off the shard, the reason being they cant log onto 5 different alts (unless they pay for each accounts) and hide. And you cant sit in trammel and throw bombs without getting attacked.
This community doesnt move forward without the pvpers, look at siege history and the glory days y'all talk about. It was full of pvpers.
We certainly arent having a hard time attracting crafters, then they get here and realize they have no one to craft for and leave.

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Its good idea to add poll to the post - you would realize how much support do you have with this idea.

<In my opinion>
Insurance would kill SP and people would go to other shards - Atlantic, Europe, Drachenfels.
</The end of my opition>

We need to make SP even more hardcore to get attention of old school players. A lot of people playing at _free_ shards. And its our clients. We have to convince them to try UO at official server, at Siege Perilous. People who played only with full loot wouldn't come to classic shards with insurance. Never. Its boring :) So we have to YELL about our special "thing" - no insurance.

If someone don't like full loot - they play at other shards, there are a lot of them. If someone don't like insurance - he needs a place without it.. And there is only one place like that... (+Mugen for asian players)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege was busy in old days, without Item Insurance and can be again.
The boost to global loot we will get to July may do the trick.
I don't agree that the one char slot rule are good for Siege, it keep more away that Item Insurance do
I still feel you need to rethink how Item Insurance will effect Siege. You can't even duel without it cost insurance money and you can't choose not to loot someone you respect or someone new to the shard, without it cost insurance money.
You will see jerks res and then res kill to get more insurance money.

True PvP'ers do not need Item Insurance, I rather see them have a second char slot, with a crafter, who can help them make new gear.

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
One char for account - its good feature of SP. For example, its our defence VS jerks. If you are PKer who kill newbies - all people would know your name. You cant just make new character, you have to answer for your deeds at Siege. We know each other right now..

Also its not a good idea for a lot of people who payed for several accounts all this years or people who bought several soulstones - they would become useless. So a lot of people could quit SP because of it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
One char for account - its good feature of SP. For example, its our defence VS jerks. If you are PKer who kill newbies - all people would know your name. You cant just make new character, you have to answer for your deeds at Siege. We know each other right now..

Also its not a good idea for a lot of people who payed for several accounts all this years or people who bought several soulstones - they would become useless. So a lot of people could quit SP because of it.
Sorry but this make no sense to me, I have 6 chars on 6 accounts, do that make me to a jerk?

And no, I would not close any accounts, as all own a house

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again the both are of you are thinkin in terms of old school uo. Well guess what in its current form siege is no longer old school uo. You cant just simply throw a few pieces of armor together and have yourself a viable suit. In todays uo the game is more item based and on siege it creates a large gap in the haves and have nots. The haves being the people with loads of money and can afford to wear the fanciest of gear vs the poor newbs who can only afford bottom of the barrel gear, and after getting smoked in bottom of the barrel gear several times they just give up.
And dont think the top tier pvpers are poor, most of the richest people this shard has ever seen were pvpers. They buy up all the good gear, not only to use incase they die, but to keep outta of the hands of others.

Freja stop taking things personal and leave your emotion out of this conversation. He is simply saying 1 character per account for the most part gives people no where to hide. They cant be jerks on 1 character and just log over to another, people know your name and reputation.

Yeah and keep waiting for the devs to bump up the loot table, the Bo would believe this if you havent said it for the last 5 years.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It will happen at next public July, also for treasure chests and SOS, Mesanna said it on Atlantic, you can see it in the thread at U.Hall so I believe it, however there is a risk that they mess it up.

About making suits, it's the resist that is most time eating, a little more basis resist on both crafted items and non "shame" loot could do a mega diff

Last edited:

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that Bo does make some valid points about insurance and the current state of the game. I'm not sure that I am totally sold out for insurance yet but maybe it would be good. Just not sure. I would be happier if monster ignore was removed from factions.
If the proposed loot upgrades are decent in the next publish, that will be nice.

And Freja, I don't think Tanger or anyone was implying that your a jerk, most of us like you a lot.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that Bo does make some valid points about insurance and the current state of the game. I'm not sure that I am totally sold out for insurance yet but maybe it would be good. Just not sure. I would be happier if monster ignore was removed from factions.
If the proposed loot upgrades are decent in the next publish, that will be nice.

And Freja, I don't think Tanger or anyone was implying that your a jerk, most of us like you a lot.
Wouldn't be so bad if the govs could give a blessed, or insurance buff for 1 item for a period of time while in office if they choose to do so. but still full insurance no

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Siege needs to remain unique. To me: "Hey, start over on Siege because we now have insurance just like you already have" isn't too convincing.

If you win as governor, Bo, one idea I hope you might consider would be the old red vs. blue Brit cemetery fights right here late night (Good Old USA time too). In fact, I believe you challenged me to a duel earlier in the week, and how about this instead. You put together a band of reds, you gonna need several to take down old Holden :). and I put together a band of blues and we restore a good old UO tradition. Maybe we can video it and then go to other shards and say - Look what happens late night X day at X time every week on Siege, come pick a side. Well, I have a lot of hopes pinned on that fact that people have fun memories of time like that and would train here just to participate and maybe end up sticking around for more.

Just an idea. It obviously needs organization, and I wouldn't want to do it alone.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Insurance is just not a good thing. It isn't difficult to make GP to be able to run with decent gear and if one loses said gear it isn't hard to replace it.

Jack Nickelson
I would like to agree, but the issue is nothing is for sale. I've got budding chars on Siege. Try using the new vendor search and you won't find older basic arties like Fey Leggings, or the Heart of the Lion. Same thing with the high end. Do a search for Crimson Cincture or Tangle and you won't see any available for sale. So I am concerned as a newer Siege player. Once I finally get a few Arties there needs to be a market to replace them. I don't think insurance needs to be added, but I would like to see the Artie drop rate increased and up to 50 imbuing intensity be able to imbued on basic aprons, cloaks, robes, talismans, shoes, and sashes to give more replaceable options than just the super high end arties.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to agree, but the issue is nothing is for sale. I've got budding chars on Siege. Try using the new vendor search and you won't find older basic arties like Fey Leggings, or the Heart of the Lion. Same thing with the high end. Do a search for Crimson Cincture or Tangle and you won't see any available for sale. So I am concerned as a newer Siege player. Once I finally get a few Arties there needs to be a market to replace them. I don't think insurance needs to be added, but I would like to see the Artie drop rate increased and up to 50 imbuing intensity be able to imbued on basic aprons, cloaks, robes, talismans, shoes, and sashes to give more replaceable options than just the super high end arties.
I think the real issue is the 3x vendor fees on Siege. If people are losing their gear all the time, that also means that someone is gaining that same gear all the time. The problem isn't the lack of gear on the shard, it's the prompt and readily available sale of newly acquired gear.

It isn't worth selling items on vendors for most people. If they sit there too long, they end up costing you more money in vendor fees than the money you earn from the sale. If our leadership campaigned for the reduction of these vendor fees I'm sure more and more player vendors would pop up.

And it just so happens that the incumbent governor of Minoc, The Gooch, is spearheading the shard-wide initiative for Vendor Fee Finance Reform™.

-Chad Sexington, Campaign Manager for The Gooch

***This ad was paid for by the Vote Minoc/Barter Town for a Better Tomorrow Campaign Fund.

Last edited:

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may have points...I've never tried the vendor search and really only search for horned or barbed leathers. The idea of imbuing talismans is sound I think. My shop, Moonglow outfitters, pretty much stocks lower end stuff with exception of high end bod rewards on occasion.

After reading your thoughts, I logged on and put up a mailbox at my shop. If anyone is looking for any thing either on a continual or one time basis my tailor/smith/imbuer will give it a shot. I have time on my hands as my right leg is pretty shot and am unable to work for a good while.

Whether it's all 70's LRC gear or something else, just leave a message.

Jack Nickelson

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I know, my point was, more char slots would not bring more jerks to Siege as most already have multi accounts = more chars

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My spin on insurance vs newbie fairness, without a lack of irregardlessnessosity to the rest of the thread:

Without insurance, a newbie will run in an LRC suit with maybe some MR / LMC. He will lose this when he dies to a gank of people in one awesome artie and super-imbued gear.

With insurance, a newbie will run in an LRC suit with maybe some MR / LMC. He will lose this when he is res-killed until his bank account is empty by a gank of people in a full suit of arties.

At least without insurance the newbie can band together with other newbies and improve their suit by killing a top dog. If they band together with insurance, it's way more profitable to just PvM solo.

Also, it's way less impressive to offer in general chat to sell somebody a cheque equal to their insurance costs after you kill them.

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
FrejaSP, I respect you and as Bo and Troop said, I had no intention to injure you. My english is not so good, so people could often misunderstand me.

I know, my point was, more char slots would not bring more jerks to Siege as most already have multi accounts = more chars
Jerks in general - bad small boys (no offence for a good small boys), who like to offend other. They asserting itself by scamming and harming other people. Bad small boys don't money to have 2 or more accounts, so 1 char per acc as reputation system is good defence VS them, to restrict their population gain at SP hehe

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
FrejaSP, I respect you and as Bo and Troop said, I had no intention to injure you. My english is not so good, so people could often misunderstand me.

Jerks in general - bad small boys (no offence for a good small boys), who like to offend other. They asserting itself by scamming and harming other people. Bad small boys don't money to have 2 or more accounts, so 1 char per acc as reputation system is good defence VS them, to restrict their population gain at SP hehe
*Smiles* Sorry, I think I was the one wording it wrong, I did not believe you was calling me a jerk.

I understand the concern for more char slots but one char slot only, also close the door for a lot "good small boys", who could be a good part of Siege. When I started on Siege, when it was born 1999, I started with 2 chars/accounts, as I knew, I would need to be able to make my own armor and bow, if I wanted to survive on Siege. A lot made it with only one char but it was possible to have some crafting and still PvP. And yes we did have some bad boys but did also have someone to fight. Now it is very hard to start with only one char and the economics crises that hit US and EU did make a lot choose to close most accounts and only play one account on trammel shards.

We are also losing players each time we get new publics including new skills and templates, they go back on trammel shards to make a new char to test it out and forget about Siege. A lot like to play more than one template, some even love RP an evil char and also RP a good char, just like Freja was red RP PK for 10 years and Tina Tink always was a good helpful blue, I see nothing wrong in that, not even when some don't want players to know they play chars and playstyles.

I believe Siege can handle the risk for bad small boys as it is not easy hide who you are on Siege, we have no trammel. They may in facts learn something on Siege and changes their way. We don't have many kids and very young on Siege, not even the ones with rich parents, who will pay for more accounts. Something on Siege make it hard for them to make it here.

I had seen players join Siege and some NEW2 too. There are several types, who always fail to make it here. The "I'm a great PvP'er, I will own the shard" and the "Give me stuff, I can't play without all my artifacts", the "why did you kill me, I did nothing wrong and more complains". It does not really matter if they have only one account or more, they just don't like it here. A few of them will learn and end up as a good part of the community on Siege.

So the question are, how many good small boys do we stop playing here to keep out a few bad small boys ?

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So the question are, how many good small boys do we stop playing here to keep out a few bad small boys ?
Its interesting philosophical question hehe. But may be good idea is to ask developers to reduce soulstone fragments cost at Siege Perilous? So crafters could make them from, for example, good amount of glass, some wood, some verite ingots (to make economic work more harder), not from Shimmering Crystals which is quite hard to obtain.

Than, for example, governours make proposal to make LOAD of soulstone fragments to fill market with them to reduce cost around the server. Soulstone fragments become really cheap and everyone could use them. Also it would give good boost to economic - alchemists, miners, lumberjacks, sand-diggers would be happy. People would spend their money to the "air" - SS fragment one use only, its good withdrawal of gold from the game.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That could be an idea but hard to make devs make something speciel for Siege

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My spin on insurance vs newbie fairness, without a lack of irregardlessnessosity to the rest of the thread:

Without insurance, a newbie will run in an LRC suit with maybe some MR / LMC. He will lose this when he dies to a gank of people in one awesome artie and super-imbued gear.

With insurance, a newbie will run in an LRC suit with maybe some MR / LMC. He will lose this when he is res-killed until his bank account is empty by a gank of people in a full suit of arties.

At least without insurance the newbie can band together with other newbies and improve their suit by killing a top dog. If they band together with insurance, it's way more profitable to just PvM solo.

Also, it's way less impressive to offer in general chat to sell somebody a cheque equal to their insurance costs after you kill them.
With insurance, why would anyone get rez killed over and over enough to empty their bank box ?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because they're newbies?

Because it's profitable to hang out at Luna ankh and naked explo fresh reses?

Because there would then be an incentive to reskill?

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get how having a great suit, or insurance on siege is going to make me a great pvper ?
This is not some miracle omg now I got a great suit, and insurance now I can pvp.
All I see is making the great pvper more richer in gold, and me richer in death robes.

Last edited:

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am for no insurance. we don't need it, that's the way its been and the way it should always be. if you want to attract more players to siege maybe the devs should look into something that would make soething unique on to siege(and mugan). I am just thowing out examples hear so don't read into it to much:

*how bout an expansion to add a basement to your house(we could have extra storage bump or just extra living space)
*pet dye tubs or unique colored dye tub hues(glacial or neon xmas box colors)
*add "NEW" pvp moded arties
*increase the drop rate on CURRENT arties so they are more abundant esp doom arties that way it can be replaced with alittle more ease. lets face it, alot of this stuff sits on display or in a chest because people don't want to loose it because they are so hard to get. increase the drop, people would farm more to build suits around it, or more go on vendors to sell because these item become more common, no faction players would then be able to at lest compete with arti faction gear(at least for the time being) pvpers would have to go check hunting spots more often..... I think its a win win. heck we could even tie the drop rate to the population count.
*make some server birth rares craftable

I guess my point is that if we want an increase in the population make this shard especially unique. with something that cant be done on prodo shards. look, for all intensive purposes, UO is dying! its lost something for the old timers and has nothing to offer for new kids on he block. we got to get out of the mindset of doing the same ol thing and workn with the same ol ideas. times have change and so should we!someone once told me long ago, "if you do what you have always do, you will get what you always got". push for new fresh ideas! lets gimic the shard alittle so that certain things can only be done here and NOWHERE else. I honestly don't believe in my heart of hearts that adding insurance to items will do it.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am for no insurance. we don't need it, that's the way its been and the way it should always be. if you want to attract more players to siege maybe the devs should look into something that would make soething unique on to siege(and mugan). I am just thowing out examples hear so don't read into it to much:

*how bout an expansion to add a basement to your house(we could have extra storage bump or just extra living space)
*pet dye tubs or unique colored dye tub hues(glacial or neon xmas box colors)
*add "NEW" pvp moded arties
*increase the drop rate on CURRENT arties so they are more abundant esp doom arties that way it can be replaced with alittle more ease. lets face it, alot of this stuff sits on display or in a chest because people don't want to loose it because they are so hard to get. increase the drop, people would farm more to build suits around it, or more go on vendors to sell because these item become more common, no faction players would then be able to at lest compete with arti faction gear(at least for the time being) pvpers would have to go check hunting spots more often..... I think its a win win. heck we could even tie the drop rate to the population count.
*make some server birth rares craftable

I guess my point is that if we want an increase in the population make this shard especially unique. with something that cant be done on prodo shards. look, for all intensive purposes, UO is dying! its lost something for the old timers and has nothing to offer for new kids on he block. we got to get out of the mindset of doing the same ol thing and workn with the same ol ideas. times have change and so should we!someone once told me long ago, "if you do what you have always do, you will get what you always got". push for new fresh ideas! lets gimic the shard alittle so that certain things can only be done here and NOWHERE else. I honestly don't believe in my heart of hearts that adding insurance to items will do it.
Good thinking, these are some awesome concepts indeed. However, if Ultima Online fades Siege will to, so on top of thinking of things to attract people to Siege; what would be some good blueprints in helping Ultima compete with more of the new games? The old school feel of the game keeps some people coming back and around most definitely, but is Ultima even advertised anymore? Attracting new players is just as important as keeping the ones you have/had. If people decide they like the Trammel shards of Ultima then start to delve into player vs player, and enjoy it, when they find out about Siege; wouldn't you think that would arouse even more attention? On top of the great player vs player aspects Siege has to offer, the interesting community and different play-style would insight a much better outcome in my opinion; also even if half of Igg A Pie's suggestions to add an even more custom flavor to Siege were implemented, I would think that Siege's population would start to climb steadily.

T

Tazar

Please note that a discussion of freeshards and their benefits has been removed. As an official fansite of the real Ultima Online, we do not support pirated freeshards and detailed discussion of them has no place on the Stratics Forums.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With insurance, why would anyone get rez killed over and over enough to empty their bank box ?
Why would anyone allow themselves to do it without insurance? Some people are just stupid beyond words and will stand there and let themselves get rez killed 89 times. Believe me, stupid people like this exist.

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tazar, we dont support it either :) We discussed their disadvantages and tried to think how to lure people from free shards to official servers.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we do not support pirated freeshards and detailed discussion of them has no place on the Stratics Forums.
Neat, I thought you hated freeshards in general.

It's good to know that you support the vast majority of them that don't run pirated code.

The Writer

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think the problem here is that we are thinking that Siege is the only one that doesn't have a population. I've played on almost every shard in this game including the Japanese shards. I've went back to those shards to see what the population was like, and I have to say Siege isn't the only one suffering here. Atlantic was probably the most popular shard and even atlantic has died a lot over these past years. It's not that siege isn't getting people to come over, it's a simple fact that Ultima Online is an MMO of over 15 years old. People often want something "New" and exciting that they haven't maxed out their characters on or beaten. I personally am not a fan of WoW and will never be, but I know for a fact that WoW has even lost lots of members over these last years as the game itself gets older and older with newer games with better graphics or storylines come out this will continue to be so for every MMO. I love MMo's and because of that I have played about 80% of them to date. I stay in Ultima simply because I grew up in it, played it with my parents to me it holds some sentimental value that could not be replaced by any other. Ultima was once a cutting edge game, lets face it this is not the truth anymore. If you want more members not just on siege but on Ultima Online then something needs to be done not on our side for all we can do is offer idea's that don't already exist in game.

Insurance - already exists on most of the shards in this game, and if those shards are losing people and not gaining what do we have to really gain from implementing it here on siege?

That being said, we need to stop looking at things that already exist here in ultima online, and start thinking of bigger idea's that don't exist yet in game, because honestly the reason people stay on a game is for the new content, that is how it goes not just for MMo's but all games. I play often on my Xbox and I've seen the numbers for CoD: Ghosts dwindle from 20k online jump to nearly 150k simply because of the release of a new DLC (Downloadable content) pack. Comparing Ultima to Ghosts is unfair simply because Ghosts is only a year old. It's advertised everywhere. We need to learn from what other games do how they fail or how they succeed. Ultima is king of MMo's In my honest opinion for the simple fact this game is as old as it is and still has a player base.

A better story - More Rpers or seekers of adventure.
better graphics, being advertised - More possible players

That being said, I think it may be time to start on Ultime Online 2
Many times ultima online could have had a sequel of sorts and it has been cancelled due to worry that it would hurt the subscription base of UO. I think it's time to begin working on that.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please note that a discussion of freeshards and their benefits has been removed. As an official fansite of the real Ultima Online, we do not support pirated freeshards and detailed discussion of them has no place on the Stratics Forums.
Sorry, was not trying to circumvent the rules. Didn't name any free shard or details on how to get to them. Just was replying to a different opinion and stated what alot of former UO players are looking for in gaming and perhaps the expectations they have in regards to gamestyle and customer service. Besides, Richard Garriott/Lord British has gone on record saying that he approves :)

You could have left in the free to play idea though. It had nothing to do with a freeshard discussion, wasn't demeaning or critical of UO and has become quite common in online gaming. It seems to be the future of gaming. Attracting the casual player and yet keeping the more hardcore vets.

tangar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You could have left in the free to play idea though. It had nothing to do with a freeshard discussion, wasn't demeaning or critical of UO and has become quite common in online gaming. It seems to be the future of gaming. Attracting the casual player and yet keeping the more hardcore vets.
I agree, f2p would be great for UO. F2p account could have restrictions like "no housing", gold limit per account, no powerscrolls allowed & etc, so a lot of people would continue to pay subscription. Or some people would use microtransactions to remove this limitations. F2p is the main trend in MMORPG right now.

T

Tazar

Sorry, was not trying to circumvent the rules. Didn't name any free shard or details on how to get to them. Just was replying to a different opinion and stated what alot of former UO players are looking for in gaming and perhaps the expectations they have in regards to gamestyle and customer service. Besides, Richard Garriott/Lord British has gone on record saying that he approves :)

I understood the intent which is why no infractions or official warning was made. As a rule - we do not "edit" others posts - so I really did not have a way to leave the free-to-play part. You are certainly welcome to post that again. It often leads to a war on UHall - but I think Siege here can probably handle it respectfully (*hopes*). Keep in mind that some posts are removed because of content it quoted rather than the actual content.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, f2p would be great for UO. F2p account could have restrictions like "no housing", gold limit per account, no powerscrolls allowed & etc, so a lot of people would continue to pay subscription. Or some people would use microtransactions to remove this limitations. F2p is the main trend in MMORPG right now.
It would be a start. Again, its an old, old game that hardly attracts new players. Of course, if a ton of former players were able to log in and play on a semi casual basis you would find the game much more exciting again. Problem is all the new changes to game may be too much for veteran players. Seems alot of the players that talk about the good old days refer to something Pre Tram or Pre AOS. Personally, I would love nothing better than to log back onto SP and find a hoard of red orcs and undead had returned muahahahaha

Reactions: Kat

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be a start. Again, its an old, old game that hardly attracts new players. Of course, if a ton of former players were able to log in and play on a semi casual basis you would find the game much more exciting again. Problem is all the new changes to game may be too much for veteran players. Seems alot of the players that talk about the good old days refer to something Pre Tram or Pre AOS. Personally, I would love nothing better than to log back onto SP and find a hoard of red orcs and undead had returned muahahahaha
Maybe this batch of devs can revisit creating a pre AoS server. I believe this is a different group that decided against it in the past.

There is a demand for it, for sure. The unmentionable places have better numbers than we have just about any day of the week. It seems to me like there wouldn't be a ton of work involved to maintain such a server once they actually create a pre AoS server. My guess is that a legit pre AoS server could help keep this game afloat with paid subscriptions. Heck, if they made a Siege-like pre AoS server that would be awesome. Ultimately, it was the addition of AoS and everything since that has killed the original success of Siege.