• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Arizona Poised to Outlaw Trolling

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the laws that actually make it through, I shudder to think how poorly thought out the ones that don't make it are.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The trick is to fill laws with lots of earmarks and unrelated appropriations in order to make it really long, then pass it before anyone has a chance to read it all and say, "What the hell?"

RhyssaFireheart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Arizona seems to have become a black hole of concentrated stupidity. Remember, this is the state that tried to pass a law saying that employers could ask for a doctor's note to prove women weren't taking HBC for contraceptive reasons before the employer would cover the medication under insurance.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see two main questions, really.
Firstly, where's the line supposed to be drawn?
Secondly, how the hell do they expect to enforce it?

The only way I can see it as anything but a waste of whatever resources went into throwing it together is in cases where a person's been internet bullied to a really bad point, and it becomes a charge that can't be as easily wiggled out of on a technicality.
But either way, shouldn't bringing a law into being carry with it some semblance of enforcement?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was one of the responce laws to what happen at Rutgers I bet. Its pretty much impossible to make folks be nice but now the world is getting more complicated. I would bet this one will not pass the courts muster and need to be redone.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Eh. The term "trolling" takes on so many definitions now that it's hard to nail down just one. Trolling and cyber bullying were once clearly distinct but now the two terms are used interchangeably. The language in the bill seems to be targeting cyber bullying more than trolling, although the word "annoy" could apply to either term. Any serious online threat of physical violence should certainly be dealt with by local law enforcements, governments, etc. on a case by case basis. But people just clowning around or winding up others is another story. That's my opinion anyway.