• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Arifact Drops

C

cademord

Same story, returning player. Been gone since waay before Doom was in existence, and the Anti-Virtue Dungeons droppe artifacts.

I understand how you get these drops, but not quite how to increase your chances. I've gotten two Virtue artifacts so far, one in Shame, one in Despise.

My two questions:
Your chance to get a drop increases the more you kill, but does this carry over once you leave a dungeon without getting a drop? Say I've been in Deceit for a while and run out of bandages (tamer) and need to pop home to grab some more, does leavin the dungeon reset my total chance of getting a drop?

Second, is it better to mow down thousands of lizardmen or specifically run around going for Ogre Lords?

Thanks for helping, if you can!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. Yes, it carries over. The only thing that resets the point total to 0 is getting an item drop.

2. By most reports, the best means of getting drops is soloing the low-level spawn of a Felucca champ spawn in one of the anti-virtue dungeons (high rate drop from the sheer number of kills, and the fame boost for Felucca). However, you risk whatever bugs exist in the bless/insurance system, and anything you don't have insured or blessed (including a number of the dropped items - the armor pieces are blessed, though) will be looted by your killer (including, often, the spawn creatures).

The next-best thing, though, is to do the following.

The system works like this.
1. Each item you kill increments the point total for you, based on the amount of fame it gives (note, as a result, being partied with someone is detrimental to your chances). The higher fame, the bigger the bump.
2. Each KILL, then, triggers a check against that number.

Most people seem to find the drops are faster if you go kill high-fame creatures in the dungeon (for about 15-30 minutes), to get the base chance up higher, THEN switch to killing as many small creatures as possible (for as many chances as possible against that drop check amount).

These example numbers are totally fictitious, but it will give you an idea.
Say each level 4 fame creature gives you 0.1% increase (but takes about 30 seconds to kill and for the respawn). Each level 1 fame creature gives 0.005% (can kill 10-20 a minute). That would mean to have a 2.5% chance, you'd have to kill 25 of the level 4 creatures, or 500 of the small fry.
However, if you killed 25 of the large ones, first, then switch to the small ones, then you'd get a 2.5% chance on EVERY one of those small ones, until the item drops (in which case you'd switch back to the big'uns)
The sheer number of checks, at that point, after raising the base check to a decent level, would insure a quick drop; much quicker than sitting farming either creature type by itself (in non-champ-spawn conditions)

C

cademord

Thank you so much.
And sorry for the typos. Working with a foreign keyboard right now.

D

Dhark_X

Does anyone know if your luck has anything to do with the drops? If I remember right it did for tokuno and if this uses the same system I would think luck is a factor as well.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Luck is supposed to be a factor - how much is anyone's guess.

O'siris

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is the same for doom too?
so basicly as long as i stay in there and kill stuff i should get a drop?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah - in fact I almost bet you'll get a doom drop quicker than a Trammel virtue dungeon drop.

K

kendalldcfan

ok noob question. I have read different things that say not to loot the corps some say to loot. the drops are not on the body they appear in your pack right or wrong. I spent like 2 hours in shame, then went to despise for 2 hours and got nothing. I was killing most creatures in 2-3 blows so I know I had to kill at least 300 creatures and I got nothing. What am i doing wrong? I saw some people killing swoops for drops. does it matter if u solo the creature or work with someone? There were like 4 people killing swoops so they copuld kill them faster is that a good way to get them. these questions have probably been answered in other post, so could someone answer these questions or direct me to the answers. Thank you.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my necro mage has only 200 luck (AoF) and can get an artie drop every 10-20 minutes in fel. (clear out lower end champ spawn mess, works wonders plus, valor!)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yes, shared kills (especially if grouped) hurt your anti-virtue dungeon drop chances, as your points gained are from its base fame (which gets divided when multiple people have rights). As it is not based on the actual fame a creature gives (after factoring in your current fame level) you can kill lots of small things to get a drop. But, you are much better off killing a bunch of high-fame things first, before going in and killing the small fry - unless you are working a Fel anti-virtue dungeon Champion spawn, where sheer numbers will give you that boost (you kill about 5-10 times as many creatures a minute at such a spawn, than in the corresponding Trammel dungeon with no champ spawn)

Swoop is a whole other discussion (as it is not an anti-virtue dungeon or Doom situation). Swoop needs to be looted as the special suit pieces can be on the corpse. It's artifact drops act just like the minor artifacts elsewhere in Ilshenar - it just drops a different set of them into your backpack.

N

Nenime

About the drop rate while being in a party:
Does being in party affect the 10th Anniversary Event artifact drop rate?

Actually being in a party does not affect the drops or the points given out out all. However, if multiple people are fighting the same creature - whether or not they're in a party - that does affect the rate of points given out.

To get points, everyone must make the top attackers list. (The top attackers list is simply the top 16 damagers.) So you can't party up then let someone else do all the work, and still get credit.

Next, points are scaled based on where you are on the top attackers list. The overall highest damager will get the same amount of points he would when soloing - everyone else will get increasingly smaller amounts, down to about 1/7 of the usual if there are more than 12 attackers on the list.

So while fighting with two or three people could be much more efficient in terms of kills per hour, and therefore total points, having a full group may be less efficient for the people who tend to do less damage. On the other hand, if you want to take your crafter out to do some hunting, pair him up with a fighter and make sure he smacks each critter at least once, and he will get some credit for the kill.

from FoF October 5, 2007
The question whether to loot or not is a question of priority. If you don't loot you're able to kill more monster per {time}. But then of course you would miss a lot of loot. So if you up to getting an arti as soon as possible -> don't loot.

B

Bouche835

I usually average 1 or 2 per day and it takes about 30 minutes to an hours. Go to the champ spawns and work the first 2 levels (no one really raid until the 4th level and if they do most of the drops are blessed, the ones that are not quickly insure them). After you finished the first 2 levels or right before the 2nd level ends go to another one and work it. Ex...goto destard work the first 2 levels, then exit and go to decit, and then go to desipse. The only thing is you will need to keep your valor up so that you can summons the champ. And I have only like 140 luck. I take my necro mage and weither.

And remember most PvP guilds don't want to work the spawn. They will come in and most of the time they will keep on going making a note as to what level it is and then they will come back for the champ. And if they attack you then defend yourself and if you die you only lose half the insurance that you would if you die at Mel.

O

Old Man of UO

Also, don't forget to loot the boss monsters in Doom... they can spawn both the common and rare set pieces. I have got more than one piece from people who never bothered looting them, and I go back to check what is left after it changes to open looting.

Killing the small spawn around the Dark Father in Doom seems to add to your points total... although I am on my 6th round in Doom, two solo (besides the group killing of the DF's) and still waiting for the next arti to drop!

K

kendalldcfan

This is total BS. I spent another 3 hours last night and got nothing. I went to shame and killed on all levels. Started with elemetals(poison, fire) then gazers, then then at least 100 on level one. then went to I think despise and killed over 200 lizzard men. then went to wrong and killed trolls and orge lords. Not a damn thing. That is 3 days worth of killing and no looting so I could kill more. I have had to of killed at least a 800 lizzard men and many other creatures blood ellys, fire ellys, gazers. Bouche835 says he gets 1-2 a day and takes aboiut 30 mins to an hour each. Either he is full of it(no offense) or he is doing something I am not. Is their some kind of quest u have to sign up for to get these. I am mainly hunting in tram is that the problem. Is there anyone on the Atlantic shard that can go hunt with me and tell me what I am doing wrong. I know in 3 days I have killed enought to get atleast one. Thanks!!!

H

hampage

This is total BS. I spent another 3 hours last night and got nothing. I went to shame and killed on all levels. Started with elemetals(poison, fire) then gazers, then then at least 100 on level one. then went to I think despise and killed over 200 lizzard men. then went to wrong and killed trolls and orge lords. Not a damn thing. That is 3 days worth of killing and no looting so I could kill more. I have had to of killed at least a 800 lizzard men and many other creatures blood ellys, fire ellys, gazers. Bouche835 says he gets 1-2 a day and takes aboiut 30 mins to an hour each. Either he is full of it(no offense) or he is doing something I am not. Is their some kind of quest u have to sign up for to get these. I am mainly hunting in tram is that the problem. Is there anyone on the Atlantic shard that can go hunt with me and tell me what I am doing wrong. I know in 3 days I have killed enought to get atleast one. Thanks!!!

why dont you go to doom? in 2 visits to doom (and like 8-9 great fathers kills) I got an Spirit of the Totem, worth 4 million on chesa...

N

Nenime

@ kendalldcfan:

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes it is just like this - for everyone of us. Sometimes again you get two drops within a few minutes. Just hold on. I would bet you hunt in Trammel, do you? Try out Felucca for you will get better chances there. If you hunt at the champ spawns you will also be able to kill more monsters per time - that's what Bouche835 meant. Although... (at least) every hour? Seems a bit unlikely to me too but if he says so ...

I just don't hunt the Legacy Dungeons for Artifacts but for resources or raising skills. As others mentioned, it's just a nice gift while hunting there. If you are set on getting one you probably won't - that's Murphy's law :bored:

D

Dhark_X

Doom works like the virte dungeons? So does that mean i could just kill alot of low level spawn in doom ignoring the bosses, and i might get an armor of fortune?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's no such thing as Low-level in the Doom gauntlet.

The undead that the Dark father creates doesn't count, only the big things in the gauntlet rooms, and the Dark fathers.

D

Dhark_X

There's no such thing as Low-level in the Doom gauntlet.

The undead that the Dark father creates doesn't count, only the big things in the gauntlet rooms, and the Dark fathers.

ahh i see, so it is only in the gauntlet i can get the arties, I thought they meant if i hang out killing bone knights/magis, lich lords, and skeletal knights i would get a doom arti after awhile.