• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Arent bows overpowered compared to other weapons?

P

ProFF7

Melee weapons dont have double hit spell, dont have +10 SSI bonus on material (so cant get to 40 SSI), cant be balanced, and HW runic not easy to get but much easier than Verite/Valorite runic

what are your thoughts?

E

eolsunder1

No, bows are about equal.

Bows are much slower in general. The strong bows 4-5 seconds. leeches have been nerfed to 1/2 power, so you won't see the nice 50-100 leeches you see on melee weapons.

Wolfman1604

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because of the half leech-properties on bows nerf, the scale is closer to even level again and will be ok as soon as the different types of ore give similar properties as the colored woods.

T

Trukx

For PvP, those high end bows usually equate to victory, although bows of that magnitude are really hard to come by. But, I dont think its a fluke that 70% of PvPers that I know are archers....there is a reason for it.

For PvM, I think its much more even and more so dependent on what you are fighting (and with who for that matter). While I can do dreadhorn on my samp, I wouldnt stand a chance with my archer. Conversely, I can do two-mans w/ my samp on Lady M, but I do much better w/ an archer in cahoots w/ a tamer-mage.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i dont pvp any more but pvm its pretty even i think pvp though no one will ever be happy because someone takes the time to develope a template and a weapon and armour that rocks and instead of developing a template to counter it its much easier to complain and get a template nerphed or moded whatever you want to call it next its tamers then its dexers been there seen it all could not even begin to count the amount of times somebody has said its not fair i cant compete blah blah blah and it will stay the same get archers nerphed then it will be your turn in a year or so so your question is null and void dont believe me ask again in a year or so personally i think tamers are over powered now and i have 2 i will get nerphed and i will play or not thats just the way it works

T

Trukx

Im merely relaying what I see. Ive been around UO long enough to see the nerfs come and go regarding skill sets and weapons. Right now, with Archers in my eyes constituting the majority of PvPers, id base it on two relatively simple principles:

You can hit w/o getting hit back (its ranged).

With the right bow you can hit while running mounted.

These get compounded with the rare, but alebeit existing, super-bows as mentioned by the OP. There are of course tactics/temps that can counter it, but it is not the easiest thing to do.

People will always complain. If you gave them Disney land, they'd simply holler about how its not Six Flags.