• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are there any DSL users, or other providers...

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I'm wondering if it just Cable users suffering from the lag.

Are there any DSL users also experiencing 150+ ping to east coast shards...that live on the east coast?

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to be honest i think it is cable.. when i had dsl everything in uo was ALOT smoother v cable..

H

house4saleUO

to be honest i think it is cable.. when i had dsl everything in uo was ALOT smoother v cable..
I agree I use to have cable in San Antonio Tx., Now where I live, I can only get DSL and it runs alot smother.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree I use to have cable in San Antonio Tx., Now where I live, I can only get DSL and it runs alot smother.
dsl pots or dsl fiber ? cable is usually 5x faster than pots dsl but cable users usually suffer more latency than dsl users but not so much to cause lag IMHO. The weather and/or maintenance could also be an issue.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
speed wise yes cable is ALOT faster.. im running roadrunner turbo thats 20-25mb down and averages about 2mb upload v my old dsl connection 3mb down and 1mb upload... but my dsl was ALOT smoother then the connection i have now. hell even when i had dsl my ping to east coast servers was around 45-55.. now my ping is 29 and its worse then dsl was with 45-55 ping LOL...

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
speed wise yes cable is ALOT faster.. im running roadrunner turbo thats 20-25mb down and averages about 2mb upload v my old dsl connection 3mb down and 1mb upload... but my dsl was ALOT smoother then the connection i have now. hell even when i had dsl my ping to east coast servers was around 45-55.. now my ping is 29 and its worse then dsl was with 45-55 ping LOL...
hmmm that is curious.
im just going to spit out whatever im thinking so bear with me. :)
wonder if your cable company employs more hops to get to said uo server than your dsl company did, however unlikely. the uo log in process used to show hops as well as latency if memory serves correct. without the ip addy it may be more difficult to trace the hops to your server now.
wonder if your TCP-IP receive window is at the correct setting. xp by default is too low imho. win7 handles it much better. if you have xp a good way to find out is to go to dslreports.com, along the top hit 'tools'. take the speed test to get a base speed then take the tweak test to see if your tcp-ip receive window is too small. follow the pull-downs and prompts to see the results. if not within the suggested range, follow the fixes provided or suggested.

after all is said and done... prolly nothing can be done to fix the problem but one never knows until they check out whats what. :popcorn:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not a big techy, but I can relay my understanding. Cable uses coaxial cable to transmit data, whereas DSL uses dual twisted pairs (i.e., your phone line). Coaxial cable can (and always will) handle much more bandwidth than dual twisted pairs, so cable companies will always advertise greater speeds than DSL providers.

However, just because cable can offer max download/upload speeds of xxMbps, this speed figure is a maximum figure, not an assurance of that level of service. Cable companies (again, just from what I've been told) tend to cram a lot more subscribers onto their lines, which is why, in the end, speeds (and prices) wind up similar between cable and DSL.

The future, of course, is fiber, provided you can get it to your door. When we move, we'll be looking for places already wired for fiber.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a big techy, but I can relay my understanding. Cable uses coaxial cable to transmit data, whereas DSL uses dual twisted pairs (i.e., your phone line). Coaxial cable can (and always will) handle much more bandwidth than dual twisted pairs, so cable companies will always advertise greater speeds than DSL providers.

However, just because cable can offer max download/upload speeds of xxMbps, this speed figure is a maximum figure, not an assurance of that level of service. Cable companies (again, just from what I've been told) tend to cram a lot more subscribers onto their lines, which is why, in the end, speeds (and prices) wind up similar between cable and DSL.

The future, of course, is fiber, provided you can get it to your door. When we move, we'll be looking for places already wired for fiber.

well based on several speed test websites i have used (more so http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ) my last test was..

Download Speed: 19442 kbps (2430.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1895 kbps (236.9 KB/sec transfer rate) with cable.

i agree with raw head rex about how many more hops* or stops* the cable goes threw v dsl. cause doing anything else othr then playing ultima online cable is MUCH faster and im def staying with it untill my phone company finishes laying down there new fiber optics.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmm that is curious.
im just going to spit out whatever im thinking so bear with me. :)
wonder if your cable company employs more hops to get to said uo server than your dsl company did, however unlikely. the uo log in process used to show hops as well as latency if memory serves correct. without the ip addy it may be more difficult to trace the hops to your server now.
wonder if your TCP-IP receive window is at the correct setting. xp by default is too low imho. win7 handles it much better. if you have xp a good way to find out is to go to dslreports.com, along the top hit 'tools'. take the speed test to get a base speed then take the tweak test to see if your tcp-ip receive window is too small. follow the pull-downs and prompts to see the results. if not within the suggested range, follow the fixes provided or suggested.

after all is said and done... prolly nothing can be done to fix the problem but one never knows until they check out whats what. :popcorn:
im running windows 7 now.. when i had dsl i was using windows vista.