• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are roommates better than they used to be?

T

TKSpeedy1

I've been very hesitant about accepting roommates because I used to have so much trouble with them...anywhere from one of my enemies re-creating just to move in with me and cause me grief to roomies who just want to use the house as storage for their stuff rather than stay and help keep it open. But lately with my store, I've found it almost impossible to sell much of anything. So I've been toying with the idea of accepting a roommate or two until I sell all the things I have and change categories just so I can leave the property once in a while for skilling or making money (which I need since I only have $341 and a ton of stuff broken). I'm nervous about doing it, though. Are roommates better than they used to be in the game?

G

some are, some aren't...really impossible to answer but it seems most with fewer days of age than EAL has been open are basically there for a day or two, then never heard from again...the ones you see who make it clear in their bio they have been in the game awhile are your best bet, still a crapshoot though..and never give build permission to someone you don't know...good luck

Edit: looking at number of skill points and links of potential roomies is GENERALLY a good indication of how often they are gonna be around...unless an owner just needs temps for lot size expansion you tend to get more trouble than it was worth

G

I don't know if they are better really, people are people I suppose.
It's always a risk if you're gonna take someone in.

I think you should take a couple of roomies though.
It makes the game more interesting and you can clearly state the rules when they move in ("Trial period is 1 week, you need to be active and help to keep the house open" or something) and when the trial period is up, you can boot them and look for someone else if they didn't hold up their part of the deal.

The risk you are running is that someone trashes your house or is never there, but take it in your stride and be firm. You might get lucky too.

G

All my roomies are players I know. I always tell new players when they ask to hang out at different houses until they meet a group they like, get to know the roomies and then if they dont have a full house offer to move in to help out.

K

kwills75TSO

I accepted a complete newbie as a room mate two nights ago. He had absolutely no skills and is just learning the game and how it works. On the first night of him becoming a roomie he had already gotten up to 8 creativity just like I asked him to and he has been helping greatly. It all depends on the person, some become great roomies some sign up and disappear forever LOL. Like someone stated above, let them know they can be booted if they are not going to help keep the place open.

G

<blockquote><hr>

let them know they can be booted if they are not going to help keep the place open.

[/ QUOTE ]

you ever think maybe real life happened? I'm at a great house that the owner doesn't care about the top ten list. if, we get high on list so be it, we don't care about it. We just open when we feel like it and not there like slaves. not like other house that have set hours that you cannot leave till then.

G

if they aren't going to be on that much, then why not tell the owner to begin with? When I get invites I tell people I'm only on a few times a week. They usually stop responding.

As a roomie I would also say it is hard to find a nice place to stay unless you make friends with someone in game. I have been a roomie at top houses and played often but come in one day to be booted... they sold the property or just changed their minds... which is fine but annoying especially since the flakiest people were the most demanding. I'm not a bot, its not fun for me to sit around an empty lot. If they are actually on a lot and want to have a lot just for fun then I'm there. I always had fun making HC and welcoming people, that kind of thing, but I just don't have the time or the interest in putting up with the demands of some owners.

I

imported_Mavric

Hmmm it's yes and no, everyone that's posted pretty much covered most I think.
I normally only let people I've already known in game for a good while roomie at my lots.
Tried strangers once or twice and got my lots trashed, it was funny, but still, lol.

Mavric

D

DGLita

Im always prepared to give roomies a chance, but ive had a few unfortunate experiences with them. They think its funny to boot all the visitors, and then tell me they did it cos that person was sending them rude or bad messages in the game. The last time that happened, which was last weekend, the person they booted was one of my own sims! That roomie got booted pretty quick lol.

It can be tough being a roomie as well, you only have limitied time to play, and do you want to spend that time keeping someone elses house open? when you could be out and about doing your own thing.

I had a bit of a bad experience as a roomie myself recently. I was invited to room at a money house in TC3, and I was playing some sims there testing out the earnings cap so I thought that woud be fun. However, one day Ihad been in TC3 for 10 hours keeping this money house open and i had really had enough (not the owners fault, it was my choice to stay there all day). Anyway, I noticed the owner was online so I sent a message to say that i had been there all day and was gonna go do somethign different for a while, so could they come keep their house open.
Now, I had another sim online at the same time in a skill house and the owner was at this skill house, so I could see what they were doing. They were just greening up, which they could have done at home just as easily but they kept me waiting 35 minutes before they returned to their house. I should have just left , but there were about 15 sims in the house and I didnt just want to boot them. I kinda lost heart in it after that, and i havnt been back

Y

YadaSc

What I would do is... tell them to hang out on the lot some to see if they would like to help with it. Also, where you can get to know them better. Don't be shy about giving out the rules of being a roomie. You only have yourself to blame if you don't. But ya, I would get to know them more before I let them stay.. The suggestions in the threads above are really good.. use them.. lol.

G

Generally when someone asks if they can be a roomie the first thing that comes out of the sims mouth is, is it ever busy in here? I tell them straight up that no because I don't advertise the house and being on the list is not my top priority.

I give them a choice to either have the house open or skill or money money somewhere else. They are not tied down to the lot. This usually gives them the incentive to make the house number one or just use the home to green up. When they try to stay on for as long as they can that tells me alot. It tells me that they are going to be great roomies.

G

I have had the worst luck with roomates
I seem to keep getting roomies that are never online and when they are online, they're not even at the house helping. If people aren't the hosting type, then they shouldn't ask to live in a skill house. I got a complaint letter in my inbox the other day from a guest saying that 2 of the roomies that were on while I was sleeping late at night, weren't doing anything and the guests were asking for food and were being ignored by the roomies. One of them even tried to IM the one roomie and her chat que was full. When I showed her the message from the guest, she moved out and treated me like it was my fault
I try so hard to make my roomies happy...I pay to stock the fridges and pay for the repairman....I don't expect much from them, just to help host.