• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are disappearing ground textures a common problem?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just that. I'm experiencing disappearing ground textures in certain places, one of them is near Brit bank. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I'm trying to figure out if this is an EC problem, or whether it is a video card stability issue (my card is overclocked). It's not consistent so I can't just turn off the overclocking and be sure whether that is the problem or not.

S

Sabbath

Llewen, I use the EC exclusively and visit Brit Bank regularly but I've seen no issues with ground textures or otherwise. I don't overclock though. I use the GeForce 9600 with lots of video ram (vid card and system RAM). I still see "blinking" objects that use animations but this is a longstanding and well known issue.

What kind of card are you using? You've probably made sure the drivers are updated but I just wanted to throw that out there. Good luck!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think it's an overclocking issue. I changed some things and the problem seems to have gone away.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ohhh, that is interesting what did you change if you don't mind.
The card was supposed to be overclocked anyway, so I just put the gpu on the default overclock from the manufacturer, and put the memory overclock back to the highest safe number that I had found. I had backed off on the memory overclocking as well because I wasn't sure which was causing the problems, but it appears as though it was the processor, so I put the memory back up to where it was before I started messing around with different rates.

It's an ATI 3650. I've got the cpu at 800mhz and the ram at 480mhz. That's actually a 20% overclock on the ram, which is pretty significant, and I have found that overclocking the ram can make a big difference in performance.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if I got it right, the Missing tiles were with a higher GPU rate. Lowering the GPU rate, removed the missing tile issue.

That in a way is backwards from what I would have expected.

I am going to need to think on that for a bit.

Well, I am assuming that previously you had no indication there may be any issue with the O/Cing you were running. Meaning it is possible that the higher GPU rate might have been causing misreads on the transfer of external memory to the cards memory. If so, I would have thought it would show up on the more graphic intense programs.

On the other hand, it could just be as simple as the rate you had was more or less marginal leaning towards the less side of the fence.

Hum ... thanks for the information is may end up being somewhat useful. :pint:

O

Old Man of UO

.... It's an ATI 3650. I've got the cpu at 800mhz and the ram at 480mhz. That's actually a 20% overclock on the ram, which is pretty significant, and I have found that overclocking the ram can make a big difference in performance.
I've got a Sapphire build of the ATI 4850, which comes overclocked from the factory at 20%. I do see missing tiles now and then. It's not too common, just annoying when it happens. Curious, I've never noticed anything graphical with any other program.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If so, I would have thought it would show up on the more graphic intense programs.
I've got a Sapphire build of the ATI 4850, which comes overclocked from the factory at 20%. I do see missing tiles now and then. It's not too common, just annoying when it happens. Curious, I've never noticed anything graphical with any other program.
Well, if the enhanced client is using the same 3D engine as KR, it's the Civilization IV 3D engine (a horrible choice in my opinion, although I think I understand why they chose it). That 3D engine is pretty fussy. If I want to see if my card is rock solid stable all I need to do is fire up a game of Civ IV and spend some time zooming around the map. If I am having stability issues it will show up in that game where other games, even newer ones, won't expose any problems.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if the enhanced client is using the same 3D engine as KR, it's the Civilization IV 3D engine (a horrible choice in my opinion, although I think I understand why they chose it). That 3D engine is pretty fussy. If I want to see if my card is rock solid stable all I need to do is fire up a game of Civ IV and spend some time zooming around the map. If I am having stability issues it will show up in that game where other games, even newer ones, won't expose any problems.
*Shrug*

I know that Celeron D 3.2GZH,2GB Ram, NVIDIA 6200LE/256MB system runs Everquest with zero difficulties and they have some fairly complicated special effects. UO's Enhanced Client is really bad on that computer. KR was quite acceptable on it, once I used the BB-Enhanced UI. With the Default UI KR was about like EC is now. Difference being using the 3 Skins so far, for EC has not altered the performance for that computer.

So if the Engine is the same between them, then for certain the interface to the Engine is different.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just thought I'd update this. I'm still having problems with ground textures blinking in and out, and objects as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be annoying. It happens even with no overclocking, and I know there are other reports of the same thing. So I'm guessing it's a fairly common problem that hopefully they will fix.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Adding another update to this. Switching to full screen mode seems to have finally fixed the problem of the disappearing tiles, as well as improved the stability of the client. I still have problems with objects disappearing though. My guess is however that these are two separate issues.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have big problems with that traveling around in Felucca especially the old Dungeons are a big problem, Destard and Terra Keep are very buggy!

Sometimes it happen that a complete screen blacks out.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm still having disappearing ground tiles, but not as many as before. Running in full screen has improved the situation.