• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archery vs Craft Skills

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
[ Characters – Vaide (Sword/Archery, Verriel (Fire Mage/Unarmed), Verrai (Werewolf/Unarmed) ]

Early in December Vaide was trying to complete the dungeon under the pink crystal and the Crypt and struggling with both. I found that I only had level 1 archery skills on my hot bar because I didn't have the arrows needed to use them, unlike sword skills which were automatically increased to the highest level.

I tried to get fletching skill to the level where I could make basic arrows as one basic arrow cost 7 gold. Someone had sold advanced arrows to Therese which I bought for 4 gold each using all my gold. At that time oak wood was only available south of town and was not plentiful but I got to level 6 carpentry which should have let me make the fletching box necessary for making all arrows. The information in the skill window was in error with the trainer showing that level 16 was needed.

I stopped playing Vaide when the advanced arrows were used up.

Before Christmas the Myconian dungeon opened and with it came a very large increase in oak wood availability. I started again to work on carpentry and had got to level 14 when the requirement was dropped to level 10 at the end of 2013. During this I twice found that items from other crafts were needed for the latest carpentry item. The first was hoops for a firkin, but I can't learn Blacksmithing till Armor Repair is at level 25, and the two needed cost 200 gold. The second was a roll of leather, but the only places where skinning has been successful for me is in dungeons, and at the time a roll of leather wasn't for sale anywhere.

The fletching box let me make beginners arrows which are easy to get from drops. By this time I only wanted to get this all behind me and found a simple, but probably unintended, way to raise level. A flint rock costs 1 gold and gives 10XP when used to make arrowheads. I bought all I could and clicked away in the recipe window then gathered fish and mushrooms to sell and did it some more ending up with more than 200,000 arrowheads. Eventually I got the skill I wanted though the basic arrowheads require orange crystal which I had never heard of but I found I could buy the arrowheads.

All the above led me to think about how I feel these skills should interact. I think the most important thing is that when a new skill is gained it should be useable soon afterwards. A quick fix for archery would be have the Fletching NPC give a few hundred basic arrows with the warning that there would be no more when they were gone but this doesn't appeal much to me and may just put the problem off.

I think a better way is to encourage the use of carpentry with my first thoughts below:
- Increase vendor price for wood chips so use of skill adds gold (oak wood and chips both sell for 5 gold)
- Add a cooking recipe like smoked crab that is better than the boiled crab so that chips have a use and value ( I don't think there is a low level smoked cooking recipe)\
- Lower Fletching Box skill level to the original 6 or less (My guess is most archers will be below Carpentry 6 when they get Level 2 skills)
- Replace the first arrow skill (Beginners) with Basic using materials found in Serbule ( beginners arrows are widely available from drops and have zero in game value)
- Possibly have the NPC give away beginners arrows commenting “ trainees failures but better than nothing”
- Add to the carpentry list some interesting items ( I may have missed the point but I saw no real value in making furniture)
{ Bow staves with the string from cloth or sinew from skinning/leather.
{ Shield with the rim and boss from blacksmithing.
{ Staff with end pieces from blacksmithing.
{ Knife handle using Lawaras whittling knife for a better skinning knife.
- Allow learning Blacksmithing with Level 5 Armor Repair
{ make XP for armor repair only when armor is zero.
{ Currently using Armor Repair out of combat on undamaged armor gives XP – first aid too.

I think one or two other players have got Carpentry to a high level based on the large amount of furniture in NPC inventories. If this was done to get fletching skill what do you think of the above?

Soltanis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I recently started playing and have been using Archery, my adventure has been a bit different. I suspect this is due to the remake of the starter area and beginner zone.

When I picked up the bow I was also given 2000 Arrows along with it. and has been more than enough for first 22 levels or so of Archery.
The Fletcher trainer is really obvious and easy to find which made me happy, I thought yes I can keep my arrow supply.

The problem I had was The Fletcher Trainer makes a point of warning you that you need carpentry skills but does not give information on where to go to learn it.
- I think this could be remedied by letting the Fletcher trainer teach you the basics of carpentry but to the level to make the first set of arrows.

Last edited:

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The 2000 arrows you get in the Tutorial Cave are Beginner's Arrows and only work for Basic Shot 1, Aimed Shot 1, Multishot 1 and Blitz Shot 1 going by the information in my Skill window. At Level 22 you should have some skills that require Basic Arrow, Beginner's Barbed Arrow or Beginner's Long Arrow. If you don't have these improved arrows the game will not put the improved skills on your bar, and the skills will be greyed if you manually put them on your bar.

Soltanis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, that is correct I didn't feel the upgrade was that much of a problem. but now I am on the third set of skills I am feeling the harm of not finding the carpentry trainer early.