• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archery is Overpowered!

Exgirlfriend

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They shouldent be allowed to spam motalstrike and moving shot over and over. I mean when 80%+ of the pvp players use archers is a clear sign this is overpowered. What is the plan to address this issue.

C

Chaosy

80+ % of PvPers also have a crafter. It's clear crafters are overpowered. Nerf that mining!

As for your complaint: I believe they're looking into balancing specials.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, archers are not the only ones who can spam mortal blow.
In any case your post =

:bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh:

P.S. Did I have enough :bdh: here? Not sure if I put enough.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG. Not only can other temps do mortal, if u aren't carrying apples that's your own fault. To shoot mortal they hafta stop in place too. Maybe you should work more on your temp and supplies so u can stay and fight instead of running away from moving shots.

Exgirlfriend

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im starting to figure out why nobody plays UO anymore. The game is really unbalanced and the dev's work way to slow. I'd rather have balance then more items in the game.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Please.
Mortal is virtually useless unless you're using it on someone's pet.
Carry apples if someone is using mortal on you.
Join factions and get some faction bandages.
At 120 archery 110 tactics and anatomy I miss more often than is imaginable on my archer.
If anything is overpowered/unbalanced it's defense chance increase.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im starting to figure out why nobody plays UO anymore. The game is really unbalanced and the dev's work way to slow. I'd rather have balance then more items in the game.
Maybe you just need to work on your template? In a game where you can basically customize your character, naturally one set-up is going to work a lot better. Just learn to adapt. If you get hit too much, increase your defense chance or add in parry. An archers and most dexers worst enemy is parry and high defense chance. As suggested here, problem with curses? Remove curse or enchanted apples. Don't forget about disarm. Can spam that too. Use everything to your advantage.
Adapt, adapt, adapt. ADAPT
If you don't want to adapt, just keep doing what you are doing now, going online to complain, lol.

Exgirlfriend

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's more then archery, i fight these guys that not only play mortial spamming archer's but they use medic scripts and the hack....The very worst part of UO is they ignore these type's. I used to think the weakest people in the game where the cheaters, but now im starting to think it's the game's GM's and the dev's also.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They shouldent be allowed to spam motalstrike and moving shot over and over. I mean when 80%+ of the pvp players use archers is a clear sign this is overpowered. What is the plan to address this issue.

Why not plan to create an archer?

I love these threads "The (Insert skill) is overpowered!" Do you guys only have one character slot or something?

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm more concerned at the 1.5 moving shots with a heavy hitting for 60 at all 70's.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Archery is not overpowered its just... well have more advantages over melee in the current UO setup. Archer is indeed one of the most powerful templates out there for PvP and PvM and is easy to play.

P

peanutbutter

we aren't "nobodies"
the devs work the way they've always worked, there's just fewer of them
make an archer. they have "balanced" items. it's fun.

i learned a long time ago "if you can't beat em, join em". all but 5 of my templates across 2 accounts and 4 shards have magery. of those 5, 3 are archers. i made multiple necro/mages after coming here and complaining that they were overpowered and ended up rather enjoying them.

make an archer. get a few balanced bows (buy them from me... i'm overstocked). you'll enjoy it. trust me.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet! I am overpowered, now I know why I dont die as often as my carpenter. I just like not having to chase my targets around once they start running. If you think Archers are overpowered, try one out for yourself. Then if you think you are too tough, play something else for more of a challenge.

Here is the link to the Archery FAQ, so you can begin to build your own:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=31292

Stayin Alive,

BG

O

Old Man of UO

It's more then archery, i fight these guys that not only play mortial spamming archer's but they use medic scripts and the hack....The very worst part of UO is they ignore these type's. I used to think the weakest people in the game where the cheaters, but now im starting to think it's the game's GM's and the dev's also.
I'm confused... is your complaint that you think archery is over powered or that cheating makes archery overpowered? Would you be able to compete with them if they didn't use "the medic script and the hack?" Those are really two different subjects.

I agree that EA needs to fix the cheats, but we have to stop nerfing templates if you want anyone left in the game.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm more concerned at the 1.5 moving shots with a heavy hitting for 60 at all 70's.
How do they do this? Even with a double hit spell on a heavy x-bow I wouldnt reach 60. I do 20-30 with almost 100 DI, Max Anatomy, around 115 Tactics and 110 Strength.

P

peanutbutter

yeah. i doubt that. you're getting conced and you don't realize it or you are Eo'd and dont' know it.

explain further?

B

Bouche835

I'm confused... is your complaint that you think archery is over powered or that cheating makes archery overpowered? Would you be able to compete with them if they didn't use "the medic script and the hack?" Those are really two different subjects.

I agree that EA needs to fix the cheats, but we have to stop nerfing templates if you want anyone left in the game.
Yes please stop nerfing. Yeah I die lots to a archer on my mage but I am fixing that. I am adding DCI and other skills to help...go figure, its called adapting to your surrounding.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He isn't getting Concussion hits.
DCI doesn't help you and neither does Parry, go find older threads about this and you'll get a clue. Archers missing more than normal is beyond High Fantasy, sorry. It's all normal, that's word after they said they'll look into it some time ago.. Remember?

If you cannot pull off that high damage don't expect me to tell you how, I hate Archers straight out. Go experiment or ask your gimpy buddies.

Chasing your targets around is crappy but UO is built around that. Big mistake and the whole system needs re-work but now a class is capable to bypass this, making it OP just for that, to begin with.

Anyway I'm done discussing Archery, EO, this or that.. You guys are impossible and I'm not playing. Plus I already have logged more than twice this week trying to explain a few things... And for what?..

You win, have your game. :loser:

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the plan is:

Less QQ more pew pew

you people could b**** about anything.

::walks off muttering something about how no one who plays UO will ever really be happy with UO::

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think archery is overpowered. It's impossible to get one of the hard hitting bows to 1.25.

I do think the special moves need to be evaluated. There are archers who can mortal/conc over and over, and never seem to run out of mana.

In the end it comes down to knowing your enemy. Before we field fight we will scope out who the enemy is. If it's a bunch of mages we hop on our necro mages.

If it's a fleet of archers with endless mana we all made parry mages with 70 DCI to deal with it. We went with 3 mages with that template, and man handled 6 archers. We didn't even have to off screen to heal.. apples, pots, and cross healing.

But something worth mentioning - the damage output on the parry mage is incredibly low. In 1 v 1, the chances of killing an archer with faction bandies, pots, and a balanced bow are extremely low with this build. So for 1 v 1 situations, everyone shouting "Just make a parry mage and adapt" doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apples cure mortal and can be used fairly often. Moving shot should be (if it isnt already) subject to reflect physical. With less GZ and more reflect physical, you should start seeing less archers.

To the comment by another poster that other weps can spam this; you didnt include that those weps are all melee too. Melee is one tile, ranged is up to what...ten? No comparison sir.

U

UOKaiser

Better thought all skills are underpowered!!!!.You see nerf mortal strike then the next strongest abilitie will be over powered cause then mortal strike will be underpowered so the nerf next skill comes in and so on so on it never ends till there are no skills left in game and mongbats own sosaria!!! Balance up! Balance Up!!!!!!!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good method to fend off archers?

1) reflect physical suit
2) low physical resist
3) EO+ mana vamp the archer (forces them to shoot without specs)
4) stand still...curse Exp FS
5) still stand still...chug (heal if you have to)...eat apple (if needed)...do what you need to do (to stay up for just 2 more seconds!)
6) they die from suicide and you collect the insurance.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better thought all skills are underpowered!!!!.You see nerf mortal strike then the next strongest abilitie will be over powered cause then mortal strike will be underpowered so the nerf next skill comes in and so on so on it never ends till there are no skills left in game and mongbats own sosaria!!! Balance up! Balance Up!!!!!!!
would you like a side of crack to be served up with your lunacy today sir? :D j/k

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for me archers are not the problem the combination between archer and tamer with rideable cu-shide is bad, and unfair overpowered. a pet which can bleed and heal himself and if you want to kill it, with the new follow me command it comes and you can isntalty mount up. That really sucks!!

U

UOKaiser

would you like a side of crack to be served up with your lunacy today sir? :D j/k
Nah maybe some diesel or white widow :) But you know am right they need to increase the power of skills so they can balance each other like that.

U

UOKaiser

for me archers are not the problem the combination between archer and tamer with rideable cu-shide is bad, and unfair overpowered. a pet which can bleed and heal himself and if you want to kill it, with the new follow me command it comes and you can isntalty mount up. That really sucks!!
Something I never used but would like a conformation. The confusion pots they work only on monsters would they work temporaly on tamed pets?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good method to fend off archers?

1) reflect physical suit
2) low physical resist
I play a template like this, and I had to change it up a bit. Make sure you have spellweaving with a circle so you can cast attunement (it absorbs the dmg but still reflects it back).

I wouldn't go low physical, because if 2 archers are on you your screwed.

I ran one with 44 phys and I died in 2 hits, each archer conc blew me and i died.

I changed my suit to be 100 RPD with 65/75/60/70/60 and I like it much more.

G

Gandie

Its not really archery i see as a problem. Its more balanced bows being uber lame!

Why dont let all 2hands pot then?

Archer
Melee two hand weps
mages WITH book and shield.

Would be fair?

Or best idea... MOVE the that ****ing lame prop.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rarely any melee dexers using 2handers and rarely mages using both shield and book because pots have become such a big part in PvP...

But oh well.