• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Archers, whats the strategy for roof?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Getting a little bored of running roof with my sampire. I wanna try an archer. Trying to figure out what is the best template for roof. Anyone have a legit strategy to do the encounter as an archer with just one other player (probably a tamer)? Tamer's dragon will most likely be the tank and my archer will be DPS and crowd control with the AoE mastery.

The problem I'm seeing is....the bosses run at horse speed and will eventually retarget to you. How do you avoid dying in those situations? I'm brainstorming and the options are:
1) vamp form + HLL or healing + HLL and hope to tank the boss
2) get magery and cast invis with protection buff on
3) hiding skill?
4) ninjitsu - mirror form (requires being on foot)
5) invis potion (how well does this work?)
6) get magery and somehow keep E-field up at all times (doesn't seem possible because there will always be a few seconds when E-field goes down)
7) peacemake? (never used peacemaking but this fails on bosses a lot, right?)

Last edited:

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maby you will just do fine without vamp form, if your team invis u as needed?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem I'm seeing is....the bosses run at horse speed and will eventually retarget to you. How do you avoid dying in those situations?
Smoke bombs.

If you can't smoke bomb have the other player with you have invis ready. Once they target you (especially Virtuebane) unless your friend can invis you fast enough its pretty much going to be certain death.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Positioning. Basically get the monster to walk on to the same tile as the pet, then stand adjacent to them both, don't move even if you get hit.

Monster AI targets (& re-targets) the nearest mobile that has aggro on them. So even when the monster does some area attack and hits you once or twice it will still re-target the pet if the pet is on the same tile and has attacked.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Positioning. Basically get the monster to walk on to the same tile as the pet, then stand adjacent to them both, don't move even if you get hit.

Monster AI targets (& re-targets) the nearest mobile that has aggro on them. So even when the monster does some area attack and hits you once or twice it will still re-target the pet if the pet is on the same tile and has attacked.
I didn't know monsters and pets can share one tile. Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
M = Monster
P = Pet
X = Where you start
Y = Where you move to when you get hit for the monster to walk on the same tile as pet
0 = Empty tile

Picture 3x3 tiles centered on the pet:

00M
0PX
0Y0

In the above setup if the monster is on a diagonal to the pet you have to move diagonally.

0MY
0P0
0X0

In the above setup (if the monster is N, E, S, or W of the pet - as per the in game radar axis where N is the upper right corner) you would need to walk on to the same tile as the pet then out the opposite side to the monster.

As long as the pet is attacking it's quicker to do this than anything else. On ones like Juo Nar you can do the same but will want to disable your melee (Holding a weapon you have 0 skill in, that isn't a Mage Weapon, or a Mage Weapon that is an Archery weapon with no Bolts/Arrows on you - this way still provides you with melee defence, as would Eval+Anatomy instead of Wrestling) as hitting it will cause spawn and counter attacks. You can use Protection if necessary, pots/apples if you struggle with casting.

Positioning yourself on the same tile as the pet and using commands well also means you can use pets as giant shields for things like Champion Spawns.

Also, having good positioning and commands allows for one of the best powerhouse templates: Tame/Lore/Vet/Wep/Tact/Chiv/Necro, 4/6 Chiv/Vamp Form/Dexxer. Whirlwinding/with Hit Area under a pet shield for spawns so the casters can't hit you. Or piling on the damage with other pet dexxer combos. Including where you tank and 5 Frenzies/Hounds chainsaw it to death (I prefer Frenzies), or Beetle/2 slot combo for Armor Corruption.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I also notice hitting Anon/Ozy/etc cause spawn. It's quite unbalanced since two tamers can easily do roof with little spawn to deal with. Everything you mention about positioning is awesome! I'm excited to try this out, next chance I get. Been too busy training skills...

Btw, in the 2nd example, did you mean since Y is where you want to end up at?
0MX
0P0
0Y0

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I also notice hitting Anon/Ozy/etc cause spawn. It's quite unbalanced since two tamers can easily do roof with little spawn to deal with. Everything you mention about positioning is awesome! I'm excited to try this out, next chance I get. Been too busy training skills...

Btw, in the 2nd example, did you mean since Y is where you want to end up at?
0MX
0P0
0Y0
Yeah I did, they're the wrong way around on the second example. If you just moved down the monster would usually just follow you around the pet, so you have to step on and out the other side.

Yeah they all counter, though I find Juo the only one that's really an issue on with the skill loss.