• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer/Tamer

J

Jest

Having been away from UO for a while, I came back charged up to play a Tamer which I had never done before. After a week of play I can say my Tamer is easily my most fun character to play, however I feel it is lacking just a bit. My current spec is Mage Tamer. I've toyed around with incorporating some of the other casting skills such as Mysticism, etc, however in all my play it feels like the Mage Tamer is a waste. One of the most enjoyable things to do on a mage is to create summons, which is completely nullified with a Tamer. So I'm looking into a possible change.

I've been researched the Archer Tamer, but I've found very little mention of it on these forums, so I'm wondering if its even feasible these days. I like the look of the Archer/Tamer spec at Professions - The Tamer: Character Templates mentioned in the FAQ, but it is 2 years old so I'm curious if it still holds up.

I know it may come down to personal preference, but I'd love to hear from other Archer/Tamers about your experiences as one.

Likewise, I'd love to get some help for Str/Dex/Int caps. And I could use some help on what sorts of armor stats I should be focusing on. Lastly, with a character like this should I only wear medable armor or does it not matter?

J

Jest

Awesome, thanks. I'd seen a few of those buy wasn't sure if the information was still relevant. I'd missed the post about Str/Dex/Int though so that was also really helpful.

It looks like I'd end up having some Meditation in my Skills so medable armor will be required, and it looks like FC/FCR of 4/6 will be a must. Any other priorities for armor after that? I saw HCI mentioned a few times, will capping this also be a must?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Medable armor should be pretty easy to come by, fortunately, as most imbuers are using leather armor. 4/6 is pretty important if you're using chivalry heals. Yes, definitely cap HCI (i.e., 45 HCI), as this will influence the liklihood that you will hit your target (as will your skill level in archery).

5% Luck

Its kool to see players trying out difernt tamer templates.

What I thought about while diciding my warrior tamer was weight and vetting. Since an archer has to carry around all those arrows and bolts it gets kind of costly in tras powder sending the gold more often. That and not being next to your pet to vet sice archery has that range on it.

What I did was drop on macing. Then it was maxing damage so chiv was logical. After that there still is a bit of play room depending on the items you want to use. I found I still had the room for 99 necro to vamp and still yet enough for some bushido. Now what I have is a ~ full blow sampire less the parry but thats what a greater dragon does best!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Would you mind sharing your sampire/tamer template? I'm very intrigued.

5% Luck

Its been a while and I never got to the imbuing yet.. But here it goes:

120 macing (105)bracelet+15
120 taming (105)ring+15
110 lore(85)ring+10 +15 bracelet
100 vet
100 tactic
90 bushido (for crits and heals on the run+leaving HCI off the suit)
99 necro (60) midnight bracers"+20"ring"+15" +4 bracelet
65 Chiv

The suit was never "complete" was 70s but for poison which was 58. Now with imbueing Id bet i could squeeze off all 70s and maybe even finish the bushido
AoE casters still got me occasionally no invisi is tough to get used to! Runners would get me too.

But thats the gist of it I did have an alternative setup where I kept 6 points of magery(book/crystal ring/brace/trav/tali to get into wind to tame GDs unhassled and Id carry another 15 chiv ring/brace to res with but ehh... thats my brothers char now and since hes been playing again Ive got the itch too! So I bet Im pretty close to where I was with this.

Its a very powerful template

Edit HeHe I got on the account

the actual temp was
92.7 bushido
65 chiv
99 necro
9 magery
100 vet
116.3 mace
100 tactic
119 tamin
110 lore
ring 11 necro 11 tactic 11lore 12 mace 1 FC
braclet 12 necro 6 med 14 taming 18 DI int +5
Jakels collar, midnight bracers, mace and shield, stormgrips, order shield conjorurs trinket, crystal ring +15 magery braclet 15 mage book(lost it) +5 mage tali(lost it) 14/15ring/brace chive set old school CC valor vet robe and Melisisa cloak death was over 7k
70/70/70/48/68
I was close i guess

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was my older Archer Tamer Template.

110 Animal Taming
110 Animal Lore
120 Archery
60 Chiv
100 Healing
120 Resist
100 Tactics

His Suit:
Mana Regenation: 14
LMC: 40
HPI: 25
MI: 26
SI: 32
Int Bonus: 19
Str: 11
Dex: 5
HPR: 2
Hit Lower Defense: 30
Damage Increase: 80% *No Wep On*
Hit Chance Increase: 45%
Defense Chance: 45%
Enhance Potions: 50%
Swing Speed Increase 5%

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All really depends on what you are doing with your tamer?

:next:Archer tamer is what you see often in PvP they can dole out a ton of damage in PvM also.

Consider suits first -

you can make a great medable suit and tailor it for spell casting or dexer? form there you work the skills.

As a caster Tamer a magery really isnt all that great anymore -
so you can free up Eval, and Meditation right off the bat.

Magery can be high enough to cast greater heal an cure in a bind but that is all i really use magery for.

Now add in Mysticism and Spell Weaving and you have a very strong caster who can dole out a TON of damage.

Archer Tamer allows you to stand behind you pet and let it tank add in Chiv and you can completly lose magery.

Tamer, Lore, Vet, Arch, Tact, Chiv, Anat and now with skill imbuing prob even get Mysticsm in there also.

Of course I still have my old tried and true 6 x legendary tamer mage with which I do most of my playing on but that is just because I refuse to change him. :thumbsup:

hes has Taming, Lore, Vet, Mage, Eval, Med.

Have fun tweaking tamers thow i also have a;
Red Stealth Archer Tamer - cheap shots all around
Necro Tamer
SW, Mystic, Mage, Tamer CRAZY damage dealer
and another tamer just for holding and transferring pets around.