• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Apparently there was once an 'Official' Linux Client

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apparently around the Second Age period, Origin actually put out a 'official' Linux client for Ultima Online. Sadly it seems to have disappeared from the internet, but you can find a FAQ about it, and various news reports.

I found a couple of small grainy screenshots.

What I wouldn't do to have this up and running now. Running the game through WINE is OK, but a native client would be amazing.

Last edited:

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All three Linux users would be so happy.
Hey Samus! ;)

I would be :)
Yeah, its disappointing that neither client has that support. The fact that the Classic client got it done over a Holiday break, and that the Enhanced Client has native support in its engine - it begs the question why they wouldn't at least try to expand to this community - especially now that Steam and Linux Gaming is starting to pick up. Theres lots of former players and old timers in that community.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apparently around the Second Age period, Origin actually put out a 'official' Linux client for Ultima Online. Sadly it seems to have disappeared from the internet, but you can find a FAQ about it, and various news reports.

I found a couple of small grainy screenshots.

What I wouldn't do to have this up and running now. Running the game through WINE is OK, but a native client would be amazing.
I agree. I run Linux on several home machines and would love a native EC client. I got both classic and EC working on Wine and CrossOver as an experiment but a native client would run much smoother. Of all the things UO needs, however, a Linux client is probably the LEAST likely to happen. ;)

-P.E.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Lol, I agree. Then again... who's the better target audience for UO? A bunch of old school bash fans, or 3d-twitch-what's the latest game Steam folks? Folks have to be sick of playing Westnoth... I know it was a gateway for me coming back to UO. :p

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, I agree. Then again... who's the better target audience for UO? A bunch of old school bash fans, or 3d-twitch-what's the latest game Steam folks? Folks have to be sick of playing Westnoth... I know it was a gateway for me coming back to UO. :p
They've probably all played it and moved on, like everyone else

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Victim, until I can play UO on my Casio calculator watch, I'm not impressed.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I agree. I run Linux on several home machines and would love a native EC client. I got both classic and EC working on Wine and CrossOver as an experiment but a native client would run much smoother. Of all the things UO needs, however, a Linux client is probably the LEAST likely to happen. ;)

-P.E.
I am running UO w/ UOA via crossover on mac........ i am wondering if its worth it to learn how to get linux on to run that client (i heard UOA don't work good w/ linux client).......... what i got so far aint bad....

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am running UO w/ UOA via crossover on mac........ i am wondering if its worth it to learn how to get linux on to run that client (i heard UOA don't work good w/ linux client).......... what i got so far aint bad....
I think that might depend on your hardware, specifically your graphics card as to how well it runs. I was using a laptop and the drivers worked quite well using CentOS 7. Outside of a little screen tearing now and then on the EC it was very good. I honestly do not know if UOA works or not, though, since I do not use it. If you do get it to work, I'd love to know how it goes since I'm seriously thinking of ditching Microsoft over their more and more intrusive Windows 10 data collection strategies. ;)

-P.E.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think that might depend on your hardware, specifically your graphics card as to how well it runs. I was using a laptop and the drivers worked quite well using CentOS 7. Outside of a little screen tearing now and then on the EC it was very good. I honestly do not know if UOA works or not, though, since I do not use it. If you do get it to work, I'd love to know how it goes since I'm seriously thinking of ditching Microsoft over their more and more intrusive Windows 10 data collection strategies. ;)

-P.E.
i got latest macbook, the slim one, laptop...... i would try doing linux on it but i would need a walkthrough on how to do it.........

but, as i said, i already got uo w/ uoa working on my mac so might just leave well enough alone.....

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
If you have it running on the Mac already, you're likely already doing fine. I doubt you'd have any improved experience getting Mac to pretend to be straight Linux, only to then emulate Windows on Linux on Mac, rather than just emulating Windows on Mac.

Re UOA, In my experience, it is so unstable as to be unusable on Ubuntu. (I've found the same to be true for Razor, for free shards.)

Re: EC on linux, at least for me... running the AMD 64 bit kernel, some of the libs EC wants are less functional when installed using winetricks. EC will install for me, but it can't run successfully.

Re: the CC on linux, there are only really three things that can cause me problems. First, occasionally, the client will get stuck thinking a meta key (shift, alt, ctrl, menu, windows, etc) is pressed. This can make macros and such go wonky, though pressing and releasing each of the meta keys almost always clears the incorrect "pressed" status. Second, the client is horrible at memory management. Go somewhere with lots of items (well-decorated castles, etc), tons of mobs/special effects (event bosses), or the like for a few minutes, and the client will get really sluggish, including slow mouse control, while I can watch memory use just grow out of control in a process manager. @Kyronix The final problem is the one that I most wish could be addressed. Full screen mode on my box is equivalent to "completely lock up the OS mode". I never want it; it doesn't work on my box. But occasionally, the first bug here kicks in, and normal typing soon inadvertently means I accidentally hit the "switch to full screen mode" macro, and UO takes out my OS, requiring a reboot. I can turn off full-screen in uo.cfg, but that's just a saved state; it doesn't actually disable the mode. I would love a way to entirely disable full-screen altogether, so I can never accidentally trigger a switch to that mode.