• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Apologies from EM Seppo -- UPDATED

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
from goldenbrewtavern.com
* updated June 9, 2009

Apologies!
By EMSeppo

Today’s event was a complete mess! Things did not go quite as expected and I would like to apologize for it.

This is what was supposed to happen:
When the red team ran into the blue team, I was supposed to have a conversation with Olin - asking them to withdraw. After that, I was going to summon a Kraken to aid the red team but fail at it causing the Kraken to attack the red team instead.

However, this never happened and the blue team was swiftly taken over by the numerically superior red team. Also the sea battle idea did not really work out so well because once you are dead it is not that easy to come back into the play.

Anyways, I would like to thank everyone for their support and sincerely apologize for the disaster!

To summarize the event:
Gideon’s fleet successfully managed to deliver Lord Casca’s personal shipment. Surely, this will see Gideon’s star rise in Lord Casca’s court. This was a fully player driven outcome event, as in if the Indy Traders’ alliance had managed to stop Gideon then Gideon was going to be flayed by Lord Casca and his merchant empire dismantled.

-------------------------------------------

* Update:
Thanks everyone for your input. I realize now that it was not all that bad after all and the turn out was beyond excellent. However, I am still not happy with it. Based on some analysis, I have came to the conclusion that,

1) The biggest fault with the event was that there were some lapses in terms of information made available to the participants. This is generally the primary reason for things going haywire and I will have to make sure that it does not happen again. For instance, I probably should have made the blue team know in advance that the cargo was being taken to Britain dock so that they could mount another challenge.

2) I scheduled the event too close to another event (player wedding). This made things hectic behind the scenes. I should not have done that

3) Did not react well enough to the unexpectedly high number of people showing up for red team. There were few things that we could have done like placing a gate on blue team’s boats to mainland with a healer to support the blockade.

What can you as a player do to help things out?
The only thing I would ask is to register if you plan to attend. Even if you are not sure, register anyways and indicate that you are not certain if you will make it. This can really help with planning and setting things up.

Having said that, I still want people to feel welcome to show up if they hear about the event 15 minutes before things are going down and have not registered yet. But do make a good faith effort to register if you plan to come.

All in all, this was a great learning experience and I am very excited about employing lessons learned in the future.

PS. I have uploaded screenshots that were taken by me or other players over here

-------------------------------------------

If you would like to leave a comment for EM Seppo, please use this link ... click here

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the red team had enough help, even without the Kraken.

*grins*

I’m sure there will be (many?) ideas on how to improve these events for the future, but if I may, I’d like to preface those comments with a few thoughts:

1. We’re all already incredibly lucky to even have these sorts of events to attend. We should be grateful for them.

2. It was a test run, and while there could be improvements, I’m sure that they will be fixed for future events.

3. I’m sure that a lot of us had a lot of fun. =]

I hope the comments for improvement will stay on the constructive, positive side. Baja is gaining a reputation for being classy, fun-loving and genuinely nice people. Let’s keep it that way, and thank the people who worked hard to design this event for the rest of us to enjoy.

See y’all on the field.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really wanted to attend this event but since I royally stink at PVP, I knew I would be more of a hindrance than a help. I got such a chuckle out of EM Seppo's "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" post on how things went a bit awry. That's what I LOVE about the events on Baja; noone knows what could happen. I couldn't agree more with SuperKen and he's one of those players who make me smile every time I see him (even if I'm shaking with fear) ;). I hope everyone who attended the event is able to see the humor in it as he did. We really do have a wonderful shard and it's the people who make it such. *deep curtsy*

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i SO wished I was there =(
sadly RL calls (work) and couldnt make it.
I think the next time if you do an event like this in fel, to let them know in advance that at one point we will have to sit back and watch the "show" and not act till you hear a certain phrase or "motion"

although so far everyone that I've talked to who went had a HUGE blast! so good work Seppo!
*flashes a "I Love Seppo" doublet*

C

Cymidei Fier

I had a great time playing on the red team. I was worried that the red team wasn't going to have enough people because the sign ups looked pretty grim but the turn out was great. Here are a few pictures I took of the red team.

Here we are signing on with Lord Gideon's crew and reporting for duty.

Here we are arriving to the port safely with our cargo after wiping out the fleet of independent traders and their kraken too. Lord Gideon's mercenary wizard Magnus said that the kraken sunk his ship!

Group hug as all the red team arrives, not so much of a box of Lord Gideon's loot was lost.

After our arrival on the docks an epic street fight broke out between the red team and the blue team. Fun times. Sorry I didn't get pictures of the action, was a bit hectic being whirled around on a boat and all that.

M

McVie

This event went alot beter then i was thinking it would being in fel..i think u did a great job!! it was fun i hope you do more.. when u do anything in fel there is the wild card off plp just messing it up that didnt hapen and i was shocked :) all in all was a good time... i think that makes it worth it :) i look forward to the next one

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had alot of fun. It was an absolute thrill trying to manuver our craft between all those ships, and escape safely to Britain. I didn't think we were going to make it, as I kept getting our boat stuck on things.

I look forward to the next one. I didn't even know it was broken until Seppo said so afterwards.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Independent Alliance Support Traders (The Blue Team)

The blue team met Olin at Ocllo Docks

where he gave us our team uniforms,

and the instructions for our mission:
'The trade fleet belonging to that poison mouthed Gideon is on the move. That devil is building a monopoly! He believes it will give him favor with Casca!
Gideon's fleet has some precious cargo we will take from them. Precious enough to warrant an entire fleet of ships and a massive mercenary crew. The cargo is likely in the hold of several of their ships. If not, pry it from their bloody, lifeless fingers.'

We then set sail in search of Gideon's Red Team.

A brief battle ensued.

The Blue Team being delayed by 'the kraken' (the bright blue creature in the above screenshot).

This was what I saw upon arriving in Britain, and this also where I encountered mass confusion from both The Blue and Red Teams. No one I spoke with seemed to know if the event was over or not, so I headed to the Felucca EM Office to try to find out more information. (Surprisingly, I was not attacked. I strongly suspect that was due to I am not "orange" to anyone.)

EM Seppo promptly arrived to speak with those gathering at his office.

The players at EM Seppo's office were quite supportive and understanding with our EM, displaying Baja's true class and style,

while discussing some of the issues encountered during the event.

A big Thank You to EM Seppo for putting this together. From the number of both typically Trammel and traditionally Felucca players I saw at the event, I came to the conclusion that more Felucca events would be appreciated.

I, too, had a lot of fun, and am looking forward to the next event. (And, to everyone who has mentioned it, I am going to get a headset so I can listen in on a voice program ... Thank you all for your patience with me and taking the time to send messages during the event.)

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was kinda funny really; we had no idea we had to go to Britain. After the brief boat battle, most of us were stuck on boats and couldn't get ressed.

After we were already delayed by the Kraken, most of the Blue team even assumed the event was over and we had already lost. Me and Yourself figured that if no one had said anything (and truly, nothing had been said!), we would press on. We went to every dock in the nearby area, eventually finding the Red Team at the Britain docks. It was really a hit or miss at that point. Most of the Blue team was already dejected and were on the verge of leaving, unaware that the Event wasn't even over yet.

Upon arriving at the Britain docks, we finally saw the red team. We did try to find cargo in Britain, at this point refusing to believe the event was over. Again, we weren't told how, where, or even what we were supposed to do. From what I understand, the other team was just as confused, and I heard that people were gated in that had nothing to do with the event, just to come fight. For the record, that wasn't us; every one of our team had been there from the start.

I wonder if Event teams could be set up in the future? Two distinct colors that would allow event players to target each other without restriction; but event players would not be able to interact with non-event players. Several people on our team were unable to heal us, and our poison fields during the boat battle flagged our own team's pets on us.

Event colors, in a system similar to Factions, would reduce the chance that outside help is gated in to fight, and could also do away with Stat Loss (by essentially making us all part of one guild, just with two different colors). The robes and shoes were not insured by most people, making it difficult to differentiate the two teams after a person had died and could not retrieve his or her robe/shoes.

I witnessed an instance of someone killing another person on the other team just to take his robe, even after the event was long over. This was very disappointing and is the sort of greed we don't want to promote at these events. I have trouble believing that some people openly stated that they were looking to sell the robes and shoes crafted by EM Seppo as collectibles.

Also, I'm not sure if EMs can do this or not, but GMs can send direct messages to people, right? It seems both teams suffered from a bit of miscommunication.

Lastly, registration is probably a good thing, to keep the numbers about even. A leeway of about 3-5 would have been fine, but as anyone can see from the above pictures, the blue team was outnumbered at least 2 to 1. This doesn't take into account the people who were gated in.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SuperKen said:
From what I understand, the other team was just as confused, and I heard that people were gated in that had nothing to do with the event, just to come fight. For the record, that wasn't us; every one of our team had been there from the start.
I may be wrong, but I was with the Red Team from the very beginning and never saw any of my team mates gate new folks in. I noticed a couple people towards the end switching out of their uniforms to their shrouds and veteran robes, but as far as I know everyone on my team was there from the start.

Edit: I stand corrected.

My apologies to the Fleet of Independant Traders (Blue Team).

M

Millie

Although I was at work and could not attend the event I'd like to say to EM Seppo.
All events have a chance to go not as expected. EM Seppo there is not Need to Apologize, But since you did it only shows what a good Em you are.
I Play on 2 different shard and this shard by far has the Best Em's and the most fun events out there. You take the time to Try to Let everyone participate and enjoy the events and That says a lot about you.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

I completely agree that Baja is an AWESOME shard (I believe it is THE best shard, hence I play there).

However, I disagree with the entire premise of creating events to take place in Felucca.

Hold your "FLAMES!"

Like you I am entitled to state my views.

Trammel never needed to be created. Simply converting Felucca to "consensual-only" PvP combat would have stopped the mass UO exodus without dividing our lands.

Sadly, that option was not chosen. With that missed opportunity the need for Felucca passed away. Also sadly, since the creation of Trammel, the game developers have endlessly attempted to lure as many folks back to Felucca as they are able. A total waste of time and resources.

There, I've spoken my piece. I'm not looking for rebuttals and will not debate facts. Others have equal right to differ or agree.

I look forward to more appropriate events outside of Felucca.

Elladan of Baja

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Elladan.

And actually, I agree with you for the most part. The majority of events ~should~ take place in Trammel.

I would love to see more and more people venture into Fel; realizing it's not that bad a place and there certainly is its own style of fun and adventure to be had. But first and foremost, attention should be paid to Baja as a shard. And the majority of those players who enjoy these sorts of events are in Trammel.

I think in the last few weeks, there has already been quite a few events in Trammel. The more the merrier! None of us Fel-based players are unhappy with the constant stream of quality events in Trammel. Several of us have even attended these events for a nice change of pace. I think it's especially rewarding that many of the events being hosted in Trammel lately have been the hard work of ordinary players like ourselves, and not just our EM.

We appreciate EM Seppo and others' attempt to throw us an event every so often. Not only does it give us something else to do, but it is one of the few times when traditional enemies in Fel can band together for a greater purpose. We look forward to more, but by no means do we expect a monopoly on the events.

So I would hope that people who prefer the Trammel events don't mind sharing an event with us Fel-based players once in a while. Y'all do know how to share, right? =]

EDIT: btw, very nice screencaps, all. They capture the fun of the event perfectly.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I missed it!! Some doofball in our complex decided to mess with the cable connections to steal cable and left us without internet all weekend!! Well glad it still seemed to go well. There would have been another for the blue team had I been there, but oh well. Next time.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a few of us are in the works of another player run event *Grins*
I know I promised a few months ago something Baja hasnt seen in some time, but its hard trying to set up ideas and get everyone together at the same time! lol

The Festival of the Way was a small glimpse of what I have in mind for Baja, things will only get better and more fun for everyone!

Which brings me to my next question....does anyone have any fishing nets for trade/sell? I can promise you they will go to a very good cause *Grins*

T

Turdnugget

Also sadly, since the creation of Trammel, the game developers have endlessly attempted to lure as many folks back to Felucca as they are able. A total waste of time and resources.
Coming from your Trammel sided thoughts sure, it's a waste of time. For the rest of UO players who love and enjoy what UO once was, way to say 'screw everyone else'. I want a carefree game, where I can only be killed by monsters, have unlimited pixel crack and be happy with it.

If I wanted something like that, i'd play a game with better graphics. The only reason I really play UO is because the PvP is unlike anything else i've ever played.

I'm tired of Trammies complaining about Fel based events, where there are numerous Trammel only events. Where's the justice in that? Not allowing reds to participate. Not everyone cares to play blue characters so they can attend those kinds of events.

This is a fantasy game. The time period it is 'set', there was no consensual PvP. If you were raided, you didn't have to stop and ask, 'Wouldst thou like to spar to the death good sir?'

The last major Fel based event I remember is the SL Faction event... and guess what, factions are meant for Felucca PvP, not for Trammies farming points and using faction arties in Trammel, where there is no RISK of being killed within a system designed specifically for PvP.

I look forward to more appropriate events outside of Felucca
With that missed opportunity the need for Felucca passed away
Wow... biased much? Sure glad you aren't a game Developer.

I'm afraid UO might turn into http://www.hellokittyonline.com/us/

Side note: Too bad I missed the event, woulda been fun to kill some people in this event. Woulda been a somewhat fair playing field...can't really use the life saving programs while on a boat... your boat only moves so fast :danceb:

D

Deathy56

That event was awesome. The only real complaint I have is that no one knew when the event was over. A message to player next time would solve that. Seppo...no apologize needed at all. You done good.

As far as the Tram vs. Fel thing...can't we all just get along. No need to be mean unduly. There are Trammies who don't want to go to Fel and Fellies (we need a better name) who don't like Tram. As long as the events aren't mandatory (they never are) then it's ok not to go. If you won't go to the other facet to do an event, then you really don't want it that badly. I'm a Trammie who only ventures into Fel when necessary (spawns and events) and it's really not that bad fellow Trammies. Just insure everything you have and if you die call the guy who killed you a cheater (trust me...it's cathartic).

Keep the pixel candy coming...I finally have my pixel diabetes under control.

T

Turdnugget

I'm a Trammie who only ventures into Fel when necessary (spawns and events) and it's really not that bad fellow Trammies. Just insure everything you have
If more people had that attitude we wouldn't see nearly as much of this ' Why does there have to be Fel based Events' and such...

Kinda hard having a 'battle on the high seas' if you can't attack people in Trammel. Kinda hard to have a battle if everyone can't attack each other.

Keep the pixel candy coming...I finally have my pixel diabetes under control.
That made me chuckle.