• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone know why Gmail isnt working on Firefox?

• Thread starter Stupid Miner
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Stupid Miner

We're sorry. It seems there is a problem. Please try using Gmail with a supported browser. If you're encountering this error while using a supported browser, we suggest alerting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) that a proxy is failing to accept cookies on HTTP redirects.

Click here to return to Gmail. You'll need to sign in to your account again.
Checked their compatibility page and they included Firefox. Works on IE but i hate IE.

Also, closing an Adobe page tends to slow Firefox to a halt and/or crash it. Anyone know how to fix that?

J

JPDefault

I just checked and GMail is working flawlessly on my v3.0.13 Firefox/Linux and even on IceWeasel.
I'll try on Windows as soon as I can, but did you try disabling your add-ons? Maybe it's some script getting blocked.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gmail is currently working fine in Firefox (v3.5.30729) for me. When I get something weird like that on a web page that worked fine previously, I usually delete the browser cache, cookies, and flush DNS (at command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns) for good measure. Most of the time that resolves the problem and no further troubleshooting is needed.

If you still have problems you can start disabling add-ons, going back to default settings, etc.

-Skylark

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Works fine for me and so does google docs ver 3.5.4

S

Stupid Miner

Yea, clearing history worked.

I'm curious... what exactly does clearing history do to change anything like that?

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, clearing history worked.

I'm curious... what exactly does clearing history do to change anything like that?
I am far from an expert on this, but in my experience, a lot of problems with pages are related to browser caching issues. Internet Explorer offers a setting in the options menu, and I finally did a manual tweak of the Firefox config to force it to download a fresh copy of pages on each visit. This eliminated a lot of problems for me, particularly when working in web-delivered databases. The drawback to doing this is speed of loading pages. It is much faster for your computer to pull up a cached copy of a page from your hard drive than download it from a web server each time, but if there are session related portions of the page (such as with login security) or small changes are made to the page layout, the caching can cause problems as the local version no longer matches what is on the server.

To force your browser to load a fresh page each time you visit a site, follow the steps listed below.

INTERNET EXPLORER

From the top menu, click Tools --> Internet Options

This is the interface in Internet Explorer 7 & 8. If you have an earlier version of IE, it might look a bit different. Click on the General tab and click on the Settings button under the section labeled Browsing history.

Click the radio button next to Every time I visit the webpage, if not selected, and click OK

MOZILLA FIREFOX

Unlike IE, Mozilla Firefox does not have a friendly & accessible way to change this setting as it is considered an "advanced" configuration option.

In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.

You will get a terrible warning screen, as follows:

Click the "I'll be careful, I promise" button, even if you don't really mean it

Scroll down in the alphabetical list of gobbly gook settings that is opened, until you see the entry:

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

Double click it and in the little popup box that opens, change the value to 1. (This screen shot is of mine, which is already changed, and as a result appears in bold type. The default value is 3, and the entry is not bolded when it contains the default value).

Close Firefox to make sure the change goes into effect.

-Skylark