• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone know how to get microsoft windows for free?

D

DVI

i use a mac and ive read most of the tutorials both here and on other sites about how to run uo on my computer.

sadly i still need a version of windows and cant justify paying as much as it seems to cost from what ive seen on various sites etc.

anyone have any ideas or know of any way to get it for free or very very cheap?

ill be checking ebay after this post is finished...

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no free lunch. If you are a student you can get significant discounts on Microsoft products for the most part, and if you buy a PC normally Windows is included (often OEM is greatly discounted) but again, certainly not free.

WINE is an open source software package that allows you to run programs designed for Windows on other operating systems (Linux, MacOS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris according to the FAQ). It is not a Windows emulator like other products that run as a virtual machine within your existing OS and fully simulate a Windows environment (and actually require a separate Windows license). It simply creates a "Windows like" layer (simulates the Windows API) for your existing OS, with which the application can interface. One advantage to that is you don't need the extra robust hardware environment a virtual machine typically demands.

As you will see in that linked thread, it is possible but not totally straightforward setting up UO to run via WINE on Mac OS. IanJames recommends a program called Crossover Games to make it easier. It is not free, although at around $40 USD is significantly cheaper than an OS license, and it does have a free trial. I noticed that Crossover currently only officially supports the older versions of UO, up to and including KR. Sounds like it would be worth trying, with a trial version, if it doesn't work then you wouldn't be out anything but your time.

-Skylark

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, that is not correct.

Many universities tech departments have access to windows for free (or for like $10). For example, when Vista first came out, Winthorp University had boxes of Vista disk that were for students.

Here is a link to a good article on ways to get Windows 7 cheap/free.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1533&page=3

Also, if you are a student/teacher Microsoft has it's dreamspark program where you can get alot of good software for free as well.
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Another example is www.ultimatesteal.com where students can get
MS Office Ultimate for 59.95
Windows 7 Professional 29.95

W7.... for $30... that is one heck of a deal.

You just have to be a student.... or know one.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both clients run VERY well in the current version of wine. Go to Wine HQ and follow the mac install instructions.

D

DVI

i looked into crossover but im pretty sure you need a version of windows for it, correct me if im wrong.

i checked out wine too but it looks pretty bloody confusing and im not that mac saavy.

ill give it a go i guess though

D

DVI

so i just tried to figure it out and im totally confused, so i guess wine is out of for now, heh

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, that is not correct.

You just have to be a student.... or know one.
At the very beginning of my post, I mentioned Microsoft products are available to students at a discount.

-Skylark

D

DVI

aye, i saw that sadly im not a student any longer, but i did try wine and ran into some problems so i switched to crossover and im attempting to run uo with the free trial....im patching now so we'll see how it goes...wish me luck!

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, crossover works very well and it's easy to deal with, but it's just wine with a front end.