• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone know how to fix a monitor from overheating?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're a little crazy, you could remove part of its cover. That's assuming there's nothing obvious, like a 2 inch layer of dust on it.

Depending on the make of monitor that might not work out so well, and regardless, you'll want to make sure nobody you care about comes along and starts licking the inside...

Monitors aren't really the most DIY-friendly pieces of equipment.

Disclaimer: Monitors can hold a charge after they're unplugged, so remember, safety first. Be sure to be touching a second caseless monitor at all times so that you're at the same voltage potential.

Disclaimer #2: Previous disclaimer may be fatal. Check with a parent or guardian before killing yourself.

G

I got a fan blowing into it atm and it keeps the color but makes the screen wavey.

G

If it is a CRT, and it is actually overheating, and the vents are not obstructed, unplug it, and face the fact you will be replacing it. Repair is usually not cost effective these days on a CRT unless it is a really expensive or special model. And an overheating monitor can catch fire very easily. DO NOT open it or mess with it yourself. As Wulf says, there is a capacitor in all CRT models and it can hold enough charge to kill you (literally) for a LONG time after it has been unplugged.

If it is a flat panel monitor, LCD or TFT, it might have some warranty left on it depending on how old it is, and if it has an external A/C adaptor that seems to be the part that is overheating, you can replace those sometimes, and the monitor is fine.

-Skylark

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you put your cell phone next to your monitor it makes wavy lines too.

D

Dor of Sonoma

*nods*

You can get it to make pretty colors with a magnet, too.

Hasty edit: Don't try this at home :p

T

Toodamndrunk

First look at your vents if no obvious dust, dirt, or other materials pull the cover and use a can of air on it. May or may not help some.

B

Bulldog

Dont use an overheating monitor its dangerous
... dont try and fix it as theres a massive amount of current running across the back of the tube and you could get seriously hurt or even killed. Throw it away and buy a working one. Second hand CRTs are about the same price as a bag of sweets.

G

<blockquote><hr>

First look at your vents if no obvious dust, dirt, or other materials pull the cover and use a can of air on it. May or may not help some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am afraid to unscrew anything lol.

R

Rykus

bah, you timid naysayers! bah I say!

Ive got a 21" MAG CAD/CAM monitor here, circa 1996. Ive had that thing open for surgery at least 5 times and its still running like a champ. Sure, it puts out enough heat that we need to run the AC in the winter, and yes it weighs about 90 friggin pounds, but I love the damn thing.. Shes got a black hole on the back side from where she was shooting out flames about 3-4 years ago. A few trace wires and solder repairs later, back online again. The PCB in that thing is crazy thick and apparently fire resistant..

Anywho.. Ya Rumpy, unless you have emotional attachment to your CRT (I presume, since a nearby EMF source causes wavy lines) replacement is really the way to go these days.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Shes got a black hole on the back side from where she was shooting out flames

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote of the day!!

G

I don't always agree with Bulldog, but in this case I do. Don't mess with it unless you are REALLY sure what you are doing. 30-40kV is used to accelerate the electrons, and you most definitely don't want to touch that.

Apart from that, several gates are charged with a couple of hundred to over a thousand volts and these can indeed be charged by a capacitor long after you have turned off the power.

Can I ask what made you conclude it overheats in the first place?

Kind regards

T

Timothy_SP

<blockquote><hr>

I got a fan blowing into it atm and it keeps the color but makes the screen wavey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the oscillations from the fan motor are causing EMI. Like I told you in ICQ, that might or might not work.

And like I said before, and most people here, I wouldn't recommend opening it up. The flyback on the CRT can kill you very easily if not properly discharged.

Your arm-to-heart-to-leg-to-ground is NOT the proper discharge method. No need to get WTFPWNED by your monitor.

G

Go to Goodwill and buy a used one for under $10.

No, seriously.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't always agree with Bulldog, but in this case I do. Don't mess with it unless you are REALLY sure what you are doing. 30-40kV is used to accelerate the electrons, and you most definitely don't want to touch that.

Apart from that, several gates are charged with a couple of hundred to over a thousand volts and these can indeed be charged by a capacitor long after you have turned off the power.

Can I ask what made you conclude it overheats in the first place?

Kind regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when it cools down, it works fine. When it heats up, it loses color. It isnt the cables or the color tube.

G

Just like Timothy said, its very dangerous to open up a monitor, monitors and PS's are the dangerous parts of your computer, since they are AC and run more current than any DC parts. Voltage wont kill you! Current will! I know, I was hit by -90,0000V and im still around. Best bet is just to do what everyone else said, get a new one, thats what I tell people that ask me to fix monitors, TVs, VCRs, its just as cheap to buy a decent new one that to pay what Id charge to fix it.

T

Toodamndrunk

Its not the Volts that PWN you its the amps
Just use rubber grip screw driver whast the worst that can happen really hmmm (after remembering the pretty light show of blowing out a craftsman screwdriver hitting a live wire)

Ok if you dont have any handyman skills and a large amount of life insurance with me as the beneficiary I would invest in a new one because no matter what you do far from a complete overhaul (which is more expensive than buying one) it will be gone soon anyways.

M

monggl

I remember watching a short vid on someone breaking these old monitors for recycling, they implode i think, extremely nasty and dangerous!
Just dont touch the insides if you dont know what you're doing!

I

imported_Varka

Take a vacuum cleaner and turn it on high and try sucking the dust out of the top of the monitor.

Otherwise, get a new monitor...

Varka

M

MeMn0cH

<blockquote><hr>

Take a vacuum cleaner and turn it on high and try sucking the dust out of the top of the monitor.

Otherwise, get a new monitor...

Varka

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember someone taking a certain leaf blower to their moniter to blow the dust out, their lil kid had put a yo-yo in the tube of the leaf blower..

Ka-POW

Yo-Yo traveling 60mph at the monitor for the win!

PWNT!

C

craftingqueen

buy a new one or take it to a repair shop.
they are not DYI friendly at all, but a skilled repairman could possibly fix it.
as for the shock potential.....the thing I'd worry about is if it DIDNT kill me. Spending a lot of time in hospital with 3rd degree electrical burns, knowing that any moment may (or may not) be my last, while writhing in pain and going through the normal stress of hospitalization (trust me, I'm a nurse....very few people really want to be there) is not my idea of fun.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you overestimate exactly how much charge a monitor can hold.

It'd just be a quick, relatively painless discharge.

The problem is that your heart is along the path that the discharge is most likely to take.

You either walk away from it or you don't, no pesky hospital bills to worry about either way =]

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I HAVE NO PLANS TO OPEN IT

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you should really come up with a plan first. It's not the sort of thing you wanna wing your way through.

=p

M

MeMn0cH

I say you hit it..

If hitting it with your fist dont work, gradually move up to bigger things.. next would be like, a baseball bat..

If hitting it doesnt work, then well.. You released all your weekly stress eh?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know when my truck over heated adding water to radiator worked. Maybe it just low on water.

S

Slacktard

Spray it with the garden hose and then sprinkle it with baby powder.
Always works for my son, why not??!!
Rumpy, you telling me that you don't have any friends that have upgraded to
fp's or something and don't have any crt's laying around?
I have like two or three sitting in my garage waiting for me to get pissed enough
to smash my 21" so they can get into the game!
I'm kind of luck though in one respect because at my job they are constantly
replacing systems and monitors and I can usually scavange some fairly decent
stuff for frees!

G

Tell the truth Slackie.

You moonlight as a cat burglar.

<blockquote><hr>

I can usually scavange some fairly decent
stuff for frees!

[/ QUOTE ]

...from peoples homes while they sleep.

*hugs Slacktard*

D

Dirk Straun

Hey Rabid,
I have a spare monitor if you want it. Let me know.

G

Heh, I need to get something. Lemme know about that monitor. You live maybe an hr or two away from me.

I

imported_SavageSP

<blockquote><hr>

*nods*

You can get it to make pretty colors with a magnet, too.

Hasty edit: Don't try this at home :p

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, sooo... does that mean it's perfectly acceptable to try this out on your co-workers monitor while hes hiding in the bathroom for 30 minutes?