• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone else see the WoW TV ads?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime I see one or an ad for the latest and greatest console game I am disappointed with EA's marketing of UO over the years.

I know that ads are expensive, but come on. Do something the next time you have a new release or expansion.

If you really want to go on the cheap, you can skip TV altogether. Setup an AdWords campaign and get the product advertised...it won't break the bank...I promise...la

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I agree they dont sell their expansions in boxes anymore which advertised sales visually in store. i wish they would even make youtube videos if they made a professional one i am sure a handful of people would share it around on different social networks.

Matthias O'Hare

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What I find even more sad is that WoW released this documentary for the launch of their new expansion and they talk about UO being their inspiration for WoW and how they spent the first week not leaving their office because they played UO all night from their HQ. They even showed the original intro and chest opening with UO music, the wave of nostalgia hit me hard. UO got more advertising on the behalf of Blizzard than they've had in the past 10 years.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Internet advertising is probably the only thing we would ever see from EA about UO, if anything. Even if just some small banners on gaming websites, they really need to do something next time they have a release. Professionally made promo videos shouldn't break the budget either. Getting new players into the game is only way it survives long-term and advertising is needed to accomplish that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UO is not likely to ever have another expansion pack. Ever. Lets face it we have less than 10 people on the DEV team..... ONE who is our engineer. This means we have one who is the Producer, one who does art, the engineer, a tester, and I believe one other guy. Yeah ..... No expansion is ever going to happen with that.

We are highly fortunate that we get updates and new content at all. Now on occasion I think they have interns. But really honestly the game is on extreme maintenance mode.

As for advertising if you are worried about UO getting "air time" start doing twitch feeds. Many folk watch twitch and Youtube... so start doing events and do live Twitch streams... and then post those streams on Youtube when your done. That is the BEST advice I can give on getting some exposure to UO.

And as for Twitch get friendly with folk who do loads of streaming... be sure to do fun things to involve viewers... engage them in what your doing... Show off the many aspects of the game.

Try getting folk to watch the design of a house... Show them how simple and fun it can be. Let them suggest things while you build.

If you are good at PvP show them how much fun it can be.

The more exposure UO gets the better. Don't wait for the DEV's to do things... Honestly how do you think a commercial for UO should look? Up against things like WoW and such UO is going to look so retro and old that most folk would just never see the game for what it really is. There is so much to do in UO that a mere 30 min commercial isn't going to even come close to showing off half the best parts of it. And sadly most folk wouldn't get past the graphics.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social media advertizing is pretty damn free and yet they dont even do that....no any what i have seen

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
UO is not likely to ever have another expansion pack. Ever. Lets face it we have less than 10 people on the DEV team..... ONE who is our engineer. This means we have one who is the Producer, one who does art, the engineer, a tester, and I believe one other guy. Yeah ..... No expansion is ever going to happen with that.

We are highly fortunate that we get updates and new content at all. Now on occasion I think they have interns. But really honestly the game is on extreme maintenance mode.

As for advertising if you are worried about UO getting "air time" start doing twitch feeds. Many folk watch twitch and Youtube... so start doing events and do live Twitch streams... and then post those streams on Youtube when your done. That is the BEST advice I can give on getting some exposure to UO.

And as for Twitch get friendly with folk who do loads of streaming... be sure to do fun things to involve viewers... engage them in what your doing... Show off the many aspects of the game.

Try getting folk to watch the design of a house... Show them how simple and fun it can be. Let them suggest things while you build.

If you are good at PvP show them how much fun it can be.

The more exposure UO gets the better. Don't wait for the DEV's to do things... Honestly how do you think a commercial for UO should look? Up against things like WoW and such UO is going to look so retro and old that most folk would just never see the game for what it really is. There is so much to do in UO that a mere 30 min commercial isn't going to even come close to showing off half the best parts of it. And sadly most folk wouldn't get past the graphics.
THIS!
WE can advertise UO by doing JUST THIS. I never thought about streaming a house build...thanks for the idea, guess what I'll be doing tonight ;)

The housing is one of the main reasons I play....weird as that sounds..I love tearing down and re-building my house, it's therapeutic! AND fun!

And if you don't want to do that to your house, do it on test.

I just got into the streaming thing and it's so simple...you don't really have to DO anything but play as you normally do, just talk about what you're doing.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha, I don't want to scare people off with them watching me sitting in wait for my next mark...it can be awhile in between steals...especially on Siege...la

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Does that make me the one other guy? ;)

If we were in "extreme maintenance mode" the Traders Quest, Vice vs Virtue, the Global Loot Revamp, Cleanup Britannia Update, EC UI update, Return to Britannia, Advisors, Treasures of Doom, and Huntmaster's Challenge would not have been completed. Maybe some new items would be included for promotional purposes (Anniversary, Holiday, Vet etc...) but not to the degree we have released.

We all still come to work every day just as committed to delivering the very best we can to the world of Britannia :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

If we were in "extreme maintenance mode" the Traders Quest, Vice vs Virtue, the Global Loot Revamp, Cleanup Britannia Update, EC UI update, Return to Britannia, Advisors, Treasures of Doom, and Huntmaster's Challenge would not have been completed. Maybe some new items would be included for promotional purposes (Anniversary, Holiday, Vet etc...) but not to the degree we have released.

We all still come to work every day just as committed to delivering the very best we can to the world of Britannia :D
Yeah that makes you "the other guy" hard to think on like no sleep in 30 hours. But I do understand... and trust me I'm ever so glad you do come to work. But I am right... we won't be having a marketable expansion ever again. We need to be doing our own marketing. And like I said Twitch is the way to go.

Very glad you guys are still working. If you weren't we wouldn't get anything at all. And we wouldn't be playing anymore... I'd be stuck with some crap like WoW and it's panda bear pokemon fest... :p now with Orcs.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

*Lifts a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute to the East. The location of Broadswords home*

You all are doing great keep up the good work.

Actually TV spots do not have to be all that expensive nor the air time. Running a full service marketing agency is what I do in my spare time to get away from the ever evolving world of Sosaria.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran

It would seem like more if 50% of everything added didn't go unused.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya WoW came out with yet another expansion, but just like all the other expansions before it, you will hit max lvl in 1 day, have the best possible gear in less then a week, screw around with other toons for another week or 2 then be bored out your mind. Like i have stated a few times now, most of these people im referring to have never heard of UO, you ask them about UO and their response is one of 2 things, 1. what the hell is UO? and 2. What? that game still exists? If Uo was advertised there would be way more people comming to UO, we wouldnt have 20 dead shards, and you guys would be making way more money. Gotta spend money to make money.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ya WoW came out with yet another expansion, but just like all the other expansions before it, you will hit max lvl in 1 day, have the best possible gear in less then a week, screw around with other toons for another week or 2 then be bored out your mind. Like i have stated a few times now, most of these people im referring to have never heard of UO, you ask them about UO and their response is one of 2 things, 1. what the hell is UO? and 2. What? that game still exists? If Uo was advertised there would be way more people comming to UO, we wouldnt have 20 dead shards, and you guys would be making way more money. Gotta spend money to make money.
Most folk who actually "watch" me play go.. WTF game is this? And then they go OMG the graphics suck... you should try XYZ game.... it's way prettier.... to which I always reply Pretty pictures do not a game make. You can take your pretty graphics and stick them where the sun don't shine for all I care... I play for content and community. You got that in XYZ? OR is it grind, grind this grind grind that? Where you can look at someone and know everything about them in an instant. You know what level they are, know what build they have, know exactly what they could do and could NOT do. Trouble with level games is once your reach the max and have all the spiffy new gear then it's wait, wait and wait some more until they put out something "new". Personally I don't care for that. I don't need to wait in UO. There is always something to do because I role-play. Even if they never added another single thing to UO but merely fixed the bugs and worked on stability and doing the EM events... I would ALWAYS have stuff to do. UO is what you make of it... not what they tell you to do or give you to do. THAT is why UO is still here 17+ years later... That is why I'm still here 16+ years later and that's why I'll continue to be here so long as someone doesn't pull the plug on it's respirator. There simply isn't anything like it on the market. Sure other games attempt to mimic UO... but they lack depth.... they forget about the content and forget or leave out the customizational aspects of UO. They try to make it a level game... or they attempt to make it a shooter game changing the targeting systems to be more shooter style... which then if you don't have the top spot connection and the fastest ever machine you'll never do squat in those games.

I can build a new character with newbie skills and still enjoy UO. I've done it a 100 times over. Sadly though most of today's society likes or needs someone to hold their hands to play. They enjoy the level based games because they lack the imagination required to think for themselves and want a clear cut path set out before them. They don't want a sophisticated game like UO. It's too difficult for them to grasp the concept of being free to do what you want. They don't know what goals to set and often set their sights on having the best of the best and get frustrated when they can't do it in a couple short weeks like they can in other games.

Part of UO's problem is also what makes it the best game... it's depth and sophistication and the requirement to actually make your own way and not have the game hold your hand. Sadly a lot of folk lack the imagination required to enjoy UO at it's best. They can't see the big picture... they fail to immerse themselves in the immersive environment ...... They want the silver platter... and all the trimmings... without any of the creativity. They get in but can't seem to stay afloat because they don't know how to swim only dog paddle or wade... they stay at the shore and are envious of the rest of us swimming freely.

Don't know if that makes sense... but UO is a very complex game... it won't hold your hand. It requires you to use that gray matter located between your ears and behind your eyes. It's not mindless killing and mashing of buttons. It requires forethought to build your template and plot your "goals".

Back when I first started my first "goal" was to own a small tower. I did that. Took me a very long time but I did that. My next goal was to make it to GM something. Then it turned to 7X GM... and then I needed a bigger home... and then it was that I wanted to "finish" all the characters to 7X GM... But then.... that never mattered after awhile... I was into being good at RP.... I wanted to be someone... I needed to defend my lands... defend the Kingdom... Fight those horrible URKs... Rescue that kidnap victim... Then I was "evil" and I kidnapped and needed to hide and secure and kill and destroy... and wound but then I returned to good and defense of the Kingdom... Saving the realm from this danger or that danger... To become a Knight.... pass thru Squireship and earn my Knighthood. Then eventually I had many accounts and many personalities good and bad.... and then my goals changed... building a town saving the history of the township in which I lived.

Eventually my goal was to GM or 120 every skill in the game... I've yet to 120 taming. But I figure I have plenty of time for that. I have another goal to have a functional tamer on EVERY shard. I'm slowly getting there. Piece by piece the parts fall into place.... things like Halloween and invasions are a welcome distraction to the ultimate goal and the grind of working skills and getting my .1's..... If I don't do it this week there is always next week. It matters not. What matters is my friends. Who's online? Who wants to go do a champ? Who wants to maybe do a few peerless runs in the name of the King! Defend the Kingdom from this ill or that group of villains where will the Guards go today? Are we doing a spy mission or a guard mission? Is this something I'm going to want to be the good guy for? Or do I need to perhaps be "evil".... and attempt to steal or stealth about or what? There is always something around the corner.. some job to do. Take a few supplies to Jhelom perhaps to boost the inventory of my fair City's coffers? Yew could always use a bit more gold to keep up the trade deals. Put in my customary appearance at the Auction.. buy a new pair of boots for my porch... Whatever.

Truth is the goal is always changing. But some don't want to adapt to meet the new goals. Many just can't get past the old school charm and look of the game. They want the pretty picture... They want to be led by the nosering around the game. They lack the imagination and drive to join the ranks of UO.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I find even more sad is that WoW released this documentary for the launch of their new expansion and they talk about UO being their inspiration for WoW and how they spent the first week not leaving their office because they played UO all night from their HQ. They even showed the original intro and chest opening with UO music, the wave of nostalgia hit me hard. UO got more advertising on the behalf of Blizzard than they've had in the past 10 years.
Why is that necessarily sad? Kind of a good thing.

This is a good thread to mention to any Netflixer out there to watch Video Games: The Movie, which actually features the enhanced client of UO within its clips. It's mostly a history of consoles, and does not do a really great job of using it's hour and forty-minute plus run time without rehashing things two or three times, but it's worth a look.

Curious enough, unless I missed it, they don't even talk about WoW, just EQ and UO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i am going to start a channel and will make some vids for UO :D
See way to take initiative +1. Now if more will just do it.

I would but I'm technically illiterate. Technophobic... or whatever. Anyway ..... I'm an idea's person.

Think it would be good if folk did "How to..... video's for UO." If I could figure it out I'd do a Twitch class on setting up and using the EC.... making macro's and such ... but I have never been able to figure out how to get the thing to work.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

WOW used Ozzy from Sabbath to promote there game. Go tell the CEO we need a glossy new T.V. ad to slot in during the Superbowl using the Hound from Game of Thrones.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got a link to that?