• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Anyone else have this happen?

E

El_Cid

I moved my GM fisher from catskills to Oceania about 2 weeks ago. at first I drew about 5 serps in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The next day I drew another 3. In the last week+ I have drawn none. I have logged in everyday to check, i get scales, pearl, and small fish but never a serpent. Am I just having a bad run or is something going on?

L

Lord Drakelord

I found that fishing in UO is like fishing in real life, matter of real life luck with what you get.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I had a real good day fishing recently. I don't recall how many serpents but I got 6 maps, 2 nets (plus 2 more in chests) and three sos and 5 pearl and 5 scales in about and hour and a half of fishing from one sos spot to the next for 3 sos. I caught many serpents 2 in a row. After stopping my boat to kill and loot the last serpent I fished up I started fishing again and on the first throw I caught another serpent. I also ran into free swimming serpents around and water elementals that I had to kill, it took a long time to get to the three sos. It was without a doubt the best day fishing I ever had. The last attempt at fishing had depleted my supply of sos because I got no sos carrying serpents. So I guess maybe I caught them all :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The fact that the UO Random number generator is so prone to streaks, is what led to the myth of serpent "Hot spots".

You could go out fishing, and have a streak of rotten luck, or get lucky and get a whole lot of stuff in one small area. People would attribute it to the location, not a lucky number streak, and be confused when the area was crap, days later.

E

El_Cid

Wow that is a great run, lucky bugger :party:

I had a real good day fishing recently. I don't recall how many serpents but I got 6 maps, 2 nets (plus 2 more in chests) and three sos and 5 pearl and 5 scales in about and hour and a half of fishing from one sos spot to the next for 3 sos. I caught many serpents 2 in a row. After stopping my boat to kill and loot the last serpent I fished up I started fishing again and on the first throw I caught another serpent. I also ran into free swimming serpents around and water elementals that I had to kill, it took a long time to get to the three sos. It was without a doubt the best day fishing I ever had. The last attempt at fishing had depleted my supply of sos because I got no sos carrying serpents. So I guess maybe I caught them all :)

E

El_Cid

Glad you shared that, its like skill gain used to be might take forever to get from 99.5 to 99.6 on something then you might get from 99.6 to gm in a few mins, makes sense

The fact that the UO Random number generator is so prone to streaks, is what led to the myth of serpent "Hot spots".

You could go out fishing, and have a streak of rotten luck, or get lucky and get a whole lot of stuff in one small area. People would attribute it to the location, not a lucky number streak, and be confused when the area was crap, days later.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I read that when I fish an SOS, that my being just slightly above 80 skill level, there was a much greater chance that I could pull up serpents, and that it would take me longe to actually pull up the chest.

1st SOS - no serps, and chest pulled up after about 5 casts
2nd SOS - no serps, and chest pulled up after 3 casts
3rd SOS - no serps and chest pulled on 1st cast

K

Kallie Pigeon

Well, I read that when I fish an SOS, that my being just slightly above 80 skill level, there was a much greater chance that I could pull up serpents, and that it would take me longe to actually pull up the chest.

1st SOS - no serps, and chest pulled up after about 5 casts
2nd SOS - no serps, and chest pulled up after 3 casts
3rd SOS - no serps and chest pulled on 1st cast
When I fish an sos I fish all the way to the spot and most of the serpents are gotten doing that. Once you are at the sos location you only have a few casts and aren't likely to get a serpent on them although it happens. The number of casts that you had at the sos spot are typical for me at gm fishing