• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone affected by the latest Yahoo fiasco?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm just wondering about the best alternative options for Yahoo users. If it's true that one billion users may have been compromised, I'd say it's likely the majority may be looking for a clear and safe exit right about now.

Any thoughts on this? Or experience to share?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This was 3 years ago. I have been using the same yahoo account for over 20 years and have never had an issue...of course I use very long complex passwords and change every one of my passwords every few months...never use online password programs like fastpass etc. You just have to be smart about it.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This was 3 years ago. I have been using the same yahoo account for over 20 years and have never had an issue...of course I use very long complex passwords and change every one of my passwords every few months...never use online password programs like fastpass etc. You just have to be smart about it.
Unfortunately, many appear not to have been as wise as you. In September of this year they announced the first admitted breach of 500 million users possibly compromised in 2014. Then last Wednesday, December 13th, they revealed a separate (and even earlier) breach that occurred in 2013, and that involves one billion user accounts. It sounds pretty ominous to me... IT HAPPENED AGAIN: Yahoo says 1 billion user accounts stolen in what could be biggest hack ever

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yup, I got a message to say my account may be compromised - but it's an email address for 'petra fyde', who has no bank account, not being a RL identity. I use it only for a forum, likewise the associated password. Access to it leads nowhere.