• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Any Nitre deposits found yet?

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if anyone has found any Nitre deposits yet, and if so, are there any visual cluse to look for or is it totally random when you dig?

Also, does the Abyss qualify as "dungeon" locale for such?

Regards!

O

OK Lumberjack

Found one in the Delucia passage. No identifier. Just suddenly had a nitre deposit. It went through several stages, huge, large, and a few others. Gave 35 saltpeter.

N

Noie

I've gotten 8 so far. It seems to be on about the same rarity as getting a particular gem or blackrock (8 dark sapphires - 8 small pieces of blackrock - 8 niter deposits). On average, that seems to be about 300 strikes for me (human, GM mining, 0 luck, regular shovels set to ore).

You get a message when you mine one up and the deposit appears on the ground next to you. I didn't think to write down exactly what the message said, but it's something like - "You have mined up a <small, large, huge, massive> deposit of niter. You can mine it to obtain saltpeter."

I've gotten massive and huge so far. As you mine it, it decays to the small size. Maybe it does this over time also? Huge seems to be in the 50-60 range total; massive seems to be 60-100. On any strike you can get 0-4 saltpeter.

I've gotten them in both the Trammel and Felucca classic dungeons - seems to be near the same rate, but I don't really have a large enough sample size to say for sure.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info!

I soulstoned Mining over to my Tamer wearing a 1475 suit and went prospecting in Abyss near Cavern Of the Discards. On about 5th try, hit a massibve deposit - got 128 saltpeter from it!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
found some in Stygian Abyss dungon tram and fel dungons.

They all gave the same random numbers for saltpeter. one through four.

no sence going to fel for it.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried the Delucia passage tram for two hours found nothing and gave up.
How much luck you wearing? Well I just found a spot in the Del passage 10 minutes ago that was "gigantic".
It gave me 203 pieces of salpeter..My miner wears a 1944 luck suit

O

Old Man of UO

I've got between 170 and 266 saltpeter from the massive deposits so far. My luck suit is 1475/2225. Luck must play a part in the size of the deposit.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got between 170 and 266 saltpeter from the massive deposits so far. My luck suit is 1475/2225. Luck must play a part in the size of the deposit.

Yes it seems so I am running a 1244/1944 suit and when my statue bonus runs out I seem to find only max a "massive" deposit with the statue bonus on I got 2 "gigantic" deposits the max was 268

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had around 1500 luck suit on (wasn't my complete suit)

O

Old Man of UO

My luck suit is 1475/2225 luck, and I am getting 4 to 10 deposits and hour with 140 to 266 saltpeter per deposit. Luck definitely plays a part (finally - works like it should!).

I haven't seen any difference between Trammel and Felucca... anyone?

B

Banner

Was out just under 30 min last night and gotten 1 big Niter chunk... (54 saltpeter) Had to quit after that. Just wanted to see if I could get some?? That was minning off a boat north of minoc with 1252 luck... Going to try again today.. Will update

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining+Abyss+ plus 800 Luck was about 800 Saltpeter in half a hour.:)

B

Banner

Mining+Abyss+ plus 800 Luck was about 800 Saltpeter in half a hour.:)
NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!! sweet though!!! ok were at in Abyss????..
I boat mined today 1000 luck 425 Saltpeter just over 3 hrs.... n of Minoc.... But were in Abyss did you go??

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just south east from Slasher. There is a area with a forge and anvil .

And With Sutek there is also a forge and anvil. Just incase you don't have a fire beetle to melt ore. :)

Some Niter rocks give about 200 Saltpeter.

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone gone mining for it without any luck on yet?

My miner has never been a lucky fellow .. and i don't think i can enhance his fancy shirt and pants with luck ... is it even feasible to take him out hunting for deposits, or will i need to build him a suit with heavy luck on it?

Thanks

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My experience so far is same as many above:

1600 luck suit: massive deposits, avg 150ish each

2200 (statue rub): Gigantic deposits, avg 220 each saltpeter

I usually mine just outside front porch (was fortunate enough to win Abyss rat house) and Sutek area. I also average 600-800 in a half hour. Once my Fire Beetle bonded, I'll range further afield.

Instead of building a Luck suit for Miner, I just soulstoned Mining to Tamer. I can now work Cavern spawn and mine at same time. I generally mine until statue luck runs out...