• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any Good Shards To Steal From?

M

MrShortBus

Im new to being a thief and just want to know where i can get the most luck, im currently on great lakes and dont seem to be getting much luck. what do you guys think is the best/most rewarding shard to steal from?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Siege is where you'll probably find the most stuff outside bandies and pots up for grabs, but if you are dead set on Standard Production shards like GL etc...

Pretty much any of them with a active PvP/Spawning scene have potential. Take some time to observe folks, find out the odd times when small groups like to sneak in spawns, I've had my best luck at spawns right before sever down, and right after server up when it was a small group trying to avoid the zerg.. Look for signs of people having just left, gold in Despise sometimes winds up in unreachable places, if it's still there it means someone spawned not too long ago. Get Abyss access for you thief, if he's blue (I prefer being blue) take him into the Abyss spawn areas via the abyss sides not the Felucca entrances people seem to find those less of a threat.

Make a regular run through Heartwood, see if anyone is there trying for recipes, or runic fletching tools. This has died off a lot since Imbuing hit, but you can still occasionally find someone after recipes.

Look for places folks will go thinking they are safe to "Roll" for scrolls, guilds with mixed noto don't always run to a house for this, if you can find them you can stalk them.

Check for the PvP Hot spots, Yew Gate on Chessy and Atlantic can yield good rewards, Silver sells ok on a lot of shards, and folks always seem to be toting it around with them, not to mention the odd 110 - 115 scroll. I've even nabbed a few doom arties from folks who went AFK in the gate GZ.

If there is a global event that's happening in Fel, this is GOLD. You'll not only see your normal crew of Reds, but you'll often find a few of what would best be described as "Trammies" trying to dodge the crowds, take advantage of them..

There are few circumstances where you can steal in Tram as well, and it's worth making use of them. If an EM is actively attacking a player while RPing some type of monster, you can steal from the EM if he has anything in his pack. I took a pair of pants, shoes, a shirt, and 1000 gold off an EM playing out the part of Virtuebane in Tram Yew during the funeral of Dawn bit a few weeks back. You might not get anything good but you get to say you robbed an EM.

Listen out for anywhere that known scripters are active in Fel, sure it might not be the same robbing a bot, but killing them and dry looting a full pack of their goodies is always fun and profitable.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Atlantic became really thief-heavy for a while, so I went to Europa. Thieves are apparently pretty rare on Europa. Had a good time. I think, though, that the thief density has declined on Atlantic lately, so perhaps you would have more luck there than I did.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
still plenty of atl thieves from what i see. I'm making one there. I've been seeing thieves on a lot of shards because they're making killings. With all the gargoyle throwers on, you see fewer mages at spawns and that means easier to steal and escape.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I don't like shards with too many thieves. The clumsy ones ruin it for the rest of us.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
frankly, I find thieves are improving in tactics. it's genuinely hard to die on a stealth thief.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Dying isn't the issue. The issue can be illustrated as follows:

1. I'm patiently waiting for a 120 at a champ. No one notices.
2. Newb thief is also lurking around. (S)he sees an ankh pendant fall into someone's pack. That's got to be worth a fortune, no? (S)he swipes the pendant.
3. Spawners are now alerted to the presence of thieves. They start EQ, whither, and para fields up the wazoo. I have to make my exit. All for an ankh pendant.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh. we can't win every time. fortunately, most of the people who pop thieves are weak and die easy.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dying isn't the issue. The issue can be illustrated as follows:

1. I'm patiently waiting for a 120 at a champ. No one notices.
2. Newb thief is also lurking around. (S)he sees an ankh pendant fall into someone's pack. That's got to be worth a fortune, no? (S)he swipes the pendant.
3. Spawners are now alerted to the presence of thieves. They start EQ, whither, and para fields up the wazoo. I have to make my exit. All for an ankh pendant.
If it's a good guild doing the spawning, sometimes that can be a good thing. I wasn't the best spawn thief, but if a guild new what they were doing and had detectors, EQs, Hiding Stealth (for protectors), it was impossible for me to get anything.

When some newb trips over himself and dies, they usually all start laughing, and sometimes let their guard down with all the anti-thief stuff.

But yeah, it depends.