• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any doctors in the house? (pics)

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No idea wtf this is from. Noticed something felt funny Sun afternoon, put my fingers up to my face felt some bumps. Thought hmmm. Went in the mirror and shat little green apples. I have washed it 3 or 4 times, wiped down with 91% IPA, treated with Neosporin. Do not think its infection though. After looking at some pics online, I am thinking maybe Carpenter Ant bites and they were very liberal with the Formic Acid ? Occipital Lymph node, right side was sore until this morning, now other than the area itself, only just under the ear is giving pain signals. I stopped taking Motrin/Alleve, just to see how bad it hurt. Answer: There was a 10 pt scale Corpsmen or Docs would always ask about. Right now I would say it is a solid 8. Consistent mildly hot feeling, sometimes that sensation increases and at the same time the area around the ear on my scalp pulses with pain. Every so often it feels like it is on fire, and someone is punching me in the face. Oh, scalp kinda tingles. This is day 3 after I noticed something. 43 yr Male, NKA, no relevant prior history. The only thing I have ever had hurt like this, was when I used to work at a chemical plant. Was distilling Cyanogen Bromide (it is about as nasty as it sounds). As I recall it came out at around 73 Celsius, I f*cked up and a bag broke and it got all over the top of hand and 2 fingers. Was working with a guy that was 6'4" nearly knocked him flat on his a** omw to the safety shower. Anyway.

The only exposure I can think of would be something biting me in my sleep but not waking me, which is VERY unlikely. I spray for bug regularly (Florida).

The other would be an eye exam I had Sat afternoon. There was 2 phases. One was the helper to the Doc, who did the "look at this lil house picture" machine, and the air puff machine. I did not think of it until later that day, but the devices where I put my face and eye were not wiped down in my presence. When I saw the actual Optometrist he specifically wiped the devices down in front of me and said something about "I don't want to share anyone else's skin oils with you". I did to a trail run 5k, rubbing on all kinds of ****e, but that was 8 days ago. So this was my long wahhhhhhh post. This too shall pass. I can suck it up, salty old sailor here. But seriously, at fukkin hurts. A lot. Feels much worse than it looks. WTF_1.jpg WTF_2.jpg WTF_3.jpg

Regards
Lord Loren Soth, Knight of The Black Rose.

P.S. - I THOUGHT undeath provided immunity to disease. Damn you Paladine.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Dude. Don't wait for an answer here, get to the docs! if it hurts, especially if its 8/10 pain. Sorry, i know this post doesnt really answer you, but i worry about people.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
May be shingles. But Seelendolch is right, 45 year olds who live in their mother's basements are not the ideal source for medical advice..... go see a doctor.

Last edited:

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Oh no, I'm not that crazy. A little crazy but not that way. I am headed to a doc today. It is shingles, and there is not anything they can do. Well, they can give you anti-virals to slow it down, and maybe halt the spread. But otherwise they can only treat the pain, and you wait it out. I refuse narcotics as a personal rule. I would accept a nerve block or steroid shot. But when something attacks your nerves, there is nothing OTC that will touch it. I hesitate to pay office fees, copay, scrip pay, just for pain meds. Checking in with Optometrist too, so it doesn't jack up my eye. This too shall pass. If you guys thought I was waiting for an answer here, oh hell no, I handle my business ;)

-Loren

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear you have to deal with Shingles, hope you feel better soon.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks everyone. I caved and took the scrip for 5mg oxycodone. The primary doc, and the optometrist both told me 'you will need them'. I just don't like to feel 'high'. Because reasons. It takes the edge off and I can function. So thats cool. Did you all know chicken pox = shingles = Herpes ? Same virus or same family. So I ask thee....WHAT THE HELL, OVER? Not fair at ALL that I got herpes, and I didnt even get to see a titty. :)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i got shingles on my back when i was 8 months pregnant. i never had chicken pox according to my mom. i didn't have much pain from the shingles b/c i was too busy dealing with a horrible, miserable pregnancy.

then at 5 years of age my daughter gets chicken pox even tho she was up to date on all her immunizations. while at the pediatrican's office i was told that nowadays they are seeing more and more cases of shingles in children as a result of the immunizations. don't ask me why but i found this information quite fascinating.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i got shingles on my back when i was 8 months pregnant. i never had chicken pox according to my mom. i didn't have much pain from the shingles b/c i was too busy dealing with a horrible, miserable pregnancy.

then at 5 years of age my daughter gets chicken pox even tho she was up to date on all her immunizations. while at the pediatrican's office i was told that nowadays they are seeing more and more cases of shingles in children as a result of the immunizations. don't ask me why but i found this information quite fascinating.
Did the pediatrician tell you this, or someone in the office? I do not understand why people argue with scientists about science, and biologists about biology. No one argues with a plumber about unclogging a toilet, or an NFL quarterback about throwing a football.

Immunizations, as a whole, save lives, and prevent disease. It is a proven fact, time and time again. Shingles in children is exceedingly rare, I also find this interesting. If we end up fighting about immunizations, I would say lets make a separate thread. I will be polite, but pull no punches. Anti-Vaccine folks are pet peeves of mine. Vaccines dont give you foolproof armor against a disease, they lessen the chance to get it, and increase your bodies ability to fight it, if you do. Not being a parent, I have an entirely different viewpoint.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I share Angel's sense of caution, having seen a bad reaction (seizure) in one of my grandchildren. Granted, most children handle the immunizations well; however, there are some who are much more sensitive and react in unexpected and often frightening ways.

For Loren... I do hope you have a fast and full recovery!

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is chicken pox vaccin mandatory in USA ?

Over here it is only given to people in risk groups (ex weak imun system)

The question to make it mandatory have come up a couple times here and the main argument is that it is very expensive to have parents be away from work for 7 days with sick childs

Also as far as i know (i m no doctor) it is possible to get a second round of chicken pox as an adult if you have a mild disease as a child and chicken pox (i m not talking about shingles) as an adult can be dangerous
Is that not what the vaccin is mild chicken pox ?

I m not anti vaccin but I´ m sceptical about making chicken pox vaccin mandatory

Also hope you get a fast recovery loren

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Is chicken pox vaccin mandatory in USA ?

Over here it is only given to people in risk groups (ex weak imun system)

The question to make it mandatory have come up a couple times here and the main argument is that it is very expensive to have parents be away from work for 7 days with sick childs

Also as far as i know (i m no doctor) it is possible to get a second round of chicken pox as an adult if you have a mild disease as a child and chicken pox (i m not talking about shingles) as an adult can be dangerous
Is that not what the vaccin is mild chicken pox ?

I m not anti vaccin but I´ m sceptical about making chicken pox vaccin mandatory

Also hope you get a fast recovery loren
All 50 US states have laws regarding vaccines. Hopefully these links will help answer some of your questions:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/basic-school-daycare-req.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/laws/state-reqs.html

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for all the well wishes. I am over the worst of it, and just need to wait about another 2 weeks to see if I have lingering effects. I look very human again, albeit you can tell something was going on that damaged my skin. Still perty though ;)

Loren