• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

anti-paralyze technique

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Fel back in the day, one would have a bag of magically trapped boxes to open in the event they were ever paralyzed by another player in pvp. Today, the same method produces severe damage to the player opening the pouches. What dictates whether another player can para you or not ? It seemed the para worked without fail every time. I'm not talking about the para fields later thrown, just normal paralyze.
Is a trapped box the only way out of that situation 'these days?'

C

Cloak&Dagger

What? If you mean the para spell, their magic resist vs the attacking players Eval int is what dictates how long it lasts. Trapped boxes do not do that much damage......and Yes that is the only way I know of.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1631501 said:
What? If you mean the para spell, their magic resist vs the attacking players Eval int is what dictates how long it lasts. Trapped boxes do not do that much damage......and Yes that is the only way I know of.
hmm ok so if resist is 120 and eval is 120, should they still be able to paralyze you or is the time limit paralyzed less ?
thanks Cloak !

S

Scratch

120 resist will negate paralyze everytime
120 resist doesnt do sheit for evil omen paralyze

however, you can use a box made by a tinker of of low skill that does minimal damage after you are paralyzed....or....you can use the box to break the omen before you get paralyzed.....

i prefer the latter since a good group of mages only needs that split second to efield you, so break the omen and the paralyze will fail and they dont get the opp to efield you......

old skool dayz we drank lesser poison pots...the ticks were fast and the para got broke, not to mention you cant be deadly poisoned if you are already poisoned with lesser.....

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 resist will negate paralyze everytime
120 resist doesnt do sheit for evil omen paralyze

however, you can use a box made by a tinker of of low skill that does minimal damage after you are paralyzed....or....you can use the box to break the omen before you get paralyzed.....

i prefer the latter since a good group of mages only needs that split second to efield you, so break the omen and the paralyze will fail and they dont get the opp to efield you......

old skool dayz we drank lesser poison pots...the ticks were fast and the para got broke, not to mention you cant be deadly poisoned if you are already poisoned with lesser.....
thank you Scratch! :thumbup1:

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Fel back in the day, one would have a bag of magically trapped boxes to open in the event they were ever paralyzed by another player in pvp. Today, the same method produces severe damage to the player opening the pouches. What dictates whether another player can para you or not ? It seemed the para worked without fail every time. I'm not talking about the para fields later thrown, just normal paralyze.
Is a trapped box the only way out of that situation 'these days?'

Magic trap spell on a pouch will do way to much damage especially if you are 120 mage.

As posted below Resist will stop para from working, and lessens it a bit with EO cast on you but not by much.

I personally think they should remove the ability for the pouch to release para. A player should have to have magic resist to get around para, not tinker trapped boxes. Sadly this wont change so just have a large supply of tinker trapped boxes.

I use about 40 tinker skill to make them.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magic trap spell on a pouch will do way to much damage especially if you are 120 mage.

As posted below Resist will stop para from working, and lessens it a bit with EO cast on you but not by much.

I personally think they should remove the ability for the pouch to release para. A player should have to have magic resist to get around para, not tinker trapped boxes. Sadly this wont change so just have a large supply of tinker trapped boxes.

I use about 40 tinker skill to make them.
I could not agree with you more o2bavr6. the only thing/s that should be able to para us are the high stat'd spawn bosses. The time paralyzed (EO'd) really needs to be addressed imho, if i had zero resist i would not have posted this in the first place, but over gm serves little purpose as well it seems. trapped pouches worked just fine, why was it ever touched in the first place ...

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could not agree with you more o2bavr6. the only thing/s that should be able to para us are the high stat'd spawn bosses. The time paralyzed (EO'd) really needs to be addressed imho, if i had zero resist i would not have posted this in the first place, but over gm serves little purpose as well it seems. trapped pouches worked just fine, why was it ever touched in the first place ...
It is a bit weird how dexers can forgo magic resist and even stuff like meditation or Focus and still be a viable PvP template. All they do is use trapped boxes, petals, potions and everything else the game offers.

Yet a mage does not really have the same ability. Meaning:
A mage with no resist is in big trouble fighting against another mage.
A dexer with no resist can still hit the mage he is fighting so he is not at the same disadvantage.

A mage needs a -20 mage weapon and really high dci to effectively fight a dexer, or have parry, tactics and a weapon skill. Yet a dexer needs no magic resist to fight the mage.

A mage cant even properly use a spellbook as an offensive weapon against dexers. So the mage is forced to have multiple items for combat. Yet dexers dont have to do anything to fight anyone.. yes they can and do change weapons, but they get a bonus with each weapon in form of a special move.

Mages have to have wrestling to do a special move but they do not have different special moves for different types of spellbooks, we are stuck with stun and disarm.

I think that it would balance the game out a bit more if templates were required to have magic resist for PvP in conjunction with the removal of the ability to use trapped boxes to release any form of paralysis.

Here is a list of some of the main differences between mages and dexers.
Mages-----------------Dexxers
Int--------------------Int
Str--------------------Str
Dex-------------------Dex
FC--------------------SSI
FCR-------------------HCI
DCI-------------------DCI
SDI--------------------DI
-----------------------HLD
-----------------------HLA
-----------------------Hit Spell
-----------------------Hit Area
-----------------------Hit Leech
LMC-------------------LMC
MR--------------------MR
LRC-------------------LAC
Spell Chan-------------Balanced
Spells------------------Weaons
Mage Armor------------Mage Armor
-----------------------Special Moves
-----------------------Hit on the Run

Edit:
One other thing that I would like to see changed is the inability for a mage, if he has fencing and tactics, to toggle a special move if they are casting a spell. This is just wrong and should be allowed.

Edit 2:
I would also love to see the polymorph spells get special abilities like ninja animal form. Example, Demon form gives you a boost to SDI in PvP. But if this was to happen, it would be nice if they changed a couple of the forms up, we don't need ogre and ettin and troll.

D

Divster

make the resist spell skill actually usefull beyond simply countering para and i would have no problem with being "forced" to use it, a it stands all the other things it counters can be done with pots/ petals/ apples.

The previous poster obviously has a bee in his bonnet about dexers being able to drop certain skills, but conveniently chooses to ignore how a mage weapon provides them with a free 120 weapon skill!

and giving polymorph animal form like abilities? hell why not just make magery incorporate every single skill in the game!

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make the resist spell skill actually usefull beyond simply countering para and i would have no problem with being "forced" to use it, a it stands all the other things it counters can be done with pots/ petals/ apples.

The previous poster obviously has a bee in his bonnet about dexers being able to drop certain skills, but conveniently chooses to ignore how a mage weapon provides them with a free 120 weapon skill! And if you think about it, lets say the mage gets the extra 120 skill points, well so does the dexer when he doesn't have resist... Right?

and giving polymorph animal form like abilities? hell why not just make magery incorporate every single skill in the game!
I agree, the magic resist spell needs to be like it used to be and should not be able to be forgone via petals potions and trapped boxes.

Read my third paragraph, I did not leave it out. If you play a mage you would know that the -20 mage weapon is almost 100% for defensive purposes. We can not do specials with them, even if we have tactics. And the moment a mage gets disarmed he is in major trouble. Which a dexer can do almost at will when fighting a mage. Also why is it not ok for a mage to get an additional 120 points with the mage weapon, but it is ok for the dexer to get the extra 120 skill points by not having resist?

So the benefits from animal form that Ninjas get is fair but not for mages? Funny how most Ninjas are dexers.

Here is a thought: Other than the Mage weapon, do the opposing templates of mages and dexers truly seem balanced to you? When i say balanced I meant as in in game items that go along with the skills.

To me there is a huge discrepancy between what damage modifiers dexers have vs damage modifiers a mage has. Heck mages are even stuck at a max of 15 SDI (without Inscribe) yet a dexer can go to 100 DI.

A

A Rev

Plus a mage can be disrupted wheras a dexxer cant.

You can slow the swing of a dexxer IF you can stop being hit long enough to do damage...but then they drink a refresh and are full stam again.

Almost all dexxers weapons are much MUCH faster than all effective high damage mage spells [name a mage spell that can do 35 damage to someone in all 70's every 1.25s?] and get this, now mages can even miss there spells!!!

Oh, and you can break EO para by casting magic arrow on yourself, if you miss the EO you will insta break the para. Less damage than a trap box too.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Plus a mage can be disrupted wheras a dexxer cant.

You can slow the swing of a dexxer IF you can stop being hit long enough to do damage...but then they drink a refresh and are full stam again.
So true, but dexers don't seem to take this into consideration.

Almost all dexxers weapons are much MUCH faster than all effective high damage mage spells [name a mage spell that can do 35 damage to someone in all 70's every 1.25s?] and get this, now mages can even miss there spells!!!
Again, so true... except i hadn't realized that mages can miss spells now.

Oh, and you can break EO para by casting magic arrow on yourself, if you miss the EO you will insta break the para. Less damage than a trap box too.
I try to weaken myself if I don't use the trapped box to break the EO.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wait wait wait ... a dexer doesn't need any resist ? :wall:
Well, most of the dexers I know who mainly PvP don't run resist.

It has been my experience that around 25% of dexers have resist, while 95% of mages have resist.

ham349

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this thread is stupid. for the most part, only the crappy dexers play without resisting spells. this is a known fact. aside from that, i see a lot of crying going on here. the only thing that needs to be fixed with mages currently, is 15second apple timer needs to be bumped to at least 20seconds. fyi i play dexers and mages. learn to adapt!

p.s.
that list was dumb, since when do mages not have area affect, leeches, ect?
leeches on a wep do didley squat in pvp. you vamp someone on a mage, and youre gonna take most if not all of his mana if he has no resisting spells, and omen vamp for those that do have resist.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that list was dumb, since when do mages not have area affect, leeches, ect?
leeches on a wep do didley squat in pvp. you vamp someone on a mage, and youre gonna take most if not all of his mana if he has no resisting spells, and omen vamp for those that do have resist.
Point is that dexers get extra damage modifiers on their weapons that mages don't get.

A mage has them as spells and has to cast them. These spells in most cases are slow casting and will target any other red or gray around as well at a farther tile distance than the leach on a weapon.

Also due to pots, petals, trapped boxes and apples, a player almost doesn't even need to have resist which givers that player 120 extra skill point advantage over someone who has resist. So mana vamp should be an Achilles heal to it.