• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another wasted opportunity for much needed Income for the game

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just saying...I myself will NOT be reopening olde accounts to claim MORE holiday gifts...Ive talked to other olde school holiday trader too and they are in the same boat....Even making the towels in solid undyeable colours [aka the old bells/statues hues] may have swayed me....but simply stuff like something USEFULL like a soulstone shard token ..or a new style heritage token WOULD have generated so much more much needed Income for our slowly dying game which the devs could maybe have then reused back into the game

[whatever]

waits for the normal and quite acceptable ''ungratefull trolls''

THP [ Legendary Idoc Hunter ]....retired

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, i have to say that this time and the last one also, have broken the holiday trading at all. It makes people to meet others, from others shard, meet new people , great great ones, and also start to know new shards that havent been before.
But the last 2 times( including this) the way they do it or the items that they give make this undoable, and its a pity :(

Im not saying nothing bad, and im grateful for the gifts, but i only want them to change a bit , to make holiday trading viable again and enjoy doing it as i did, and a lot of people did as well.

Last edited:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this unstackable, deco only/house only stuff ... would be ok, if it would have been one set per account per shard. But so?

The 16th anniversary horse was a real nice idea as the various token of the past. Tickets usable by anyone had the benefit of keeping the lockdown count low until one wanted the item - and be it for the Cleanup points.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont need to open accounts, RTB will come along with WW Publish.
LOL...U dont get it...its lost income for broadsword..etc etc...RTB account will not receive gifts....if the gifts were acyally a collectable collective or there was a token were u could choose something that was actually useable and different instead of all the same!!!...then olde school holiday collectors would have reopened old accounts to get more....thus maybe increasing the income for broadsword to double for one month...[whatever].. bound to get the ungratyefull troll posts anyways..

....alas....[devs....please use some/ have some common sense next time]....huge lost opportunity...AGAIN!!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing valuable is the problem, I think.
Dont even get me started on that one...I think the EM Event program as got ''this well covered''.....LOL

U can snipe all u like...Its a wasted opportuinity for broadsword to get people to reopen more old accounts....hence its a lost opportunity for more income from the game ....[whatever]

sits back and sips a dram of 15 year oak casked whiskey...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it doesnt make sense to ever open an account just for holiday gifts.... gifts arent meant to be valuable, they are simple momentos. considering the cost of opening an account, and the time it takes to go thru characters, it would make more sense to buy the gold and buy the items you want, even the rare holiday gifts hardly ever surpass 50mil, well under the cost of 1 month sub price.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know what everyones problem is with the gifts. The towel is for the "play house" people, the sword for people more interested in weapons / fighting. I think its a perfect combo.

I would have like to be able to imbue the sword, but like i said, the majority of this stuff gets dumped by the bank anyway. it really doesnt matter.

I would also like an option to turn gifts off. its very annoying having to dump gifts everytime we have one of these things.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just saying...I myself will NOT be reopening olde accounts to claim MORE holiday gifts...Ive talked to other olde school holiday trader too and they are in the same boat....Even making the towels in solid undyeable colours [aka the old bells/statues hues] may have swayed me....but simply stuff like something USEFULL like a soulstone shard token ..or a new style heritage token WOULD have generated so much more much needed Income for our slowly dying game which the devs could maybe have then reused back into the game

[whatever]

waits for the normal and quite acceptable ''ungratefull trolls''

THP [ Legendary Idoc Hunter ]....retired
Stay retired and ungrateful.
Nobody is reopening and paying for old accounts for no other reason then holiday crap.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah..its a bit underwhelming. I do not think I will go through the hassle of even logging onto the characters on the shards I do not play. Doesn't seem worth the time unless something pops up. There is a report you can rarely get a towel with "your name" as a rare. I think that kinda junk that your name would be considered a rare as you'd be the only person who wants it. If they continue that policy I guess I need to delete all my holiday characters and remake in my main guys name.

Don't get me wrong..the bar would be cool as 1 per account..but flooding it like this was not very useful.

Reactions: THP

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no-ones ungratefull...i even stated in the OP that the trolls would attack that...why wouldnt they ...lol...its a free troll for the trollers....hey a gifts a gift...no doubt....bur refer make to the OP

like i say..i know at least 30 folks [bound to be many others ] that maybe would have reopened old accounts for a awesome collectable collection or whatever....

Its simply lost revenue for broadsword....simple as that!!! [whatever]

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least all the players who are unhappy with their gifts will have something to wipe their tears with.
not saying unhappy...not saying ungratefull....read the bloody post!!! Its lost revenue for the people /company that run UO....[jesus !!!!]

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Agreed. I am not ungrateful at all. With storage limits on houses and with most people having more than one full account I just cannot see saving 21 complete bars knowing that everyone else got one as well. I am thinking the Caverns of Discard are going to be littered with bar pieces. A token that would allow you to select (a random bar piece, random sword name, or a random towel) would have been a better and more restricted choice. People would have had fun trading to make a complete bar and everyone who wanted one would have been able to get one.

Again, not being ungrateful but I cannot store 200 items of this nature in my house for a long period of time. I find it a bit sad (insert the picture of the Indian dude crying) that I am going to delete these, along with all the horses and stuff from year 16, all the bunnies from Easter and so on lately. (I will of course keep a complete bar..I just do not need several).

Blood Ghoul

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
And they had worked so hard to get your account back... the collectors/deco people got hosed on the new Clean Up Rewards, so take your turn and put a sock in it.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no-ones ungratefull...i even stated in the OP that the trolls would attack that...why wouldnt they ...lol...its a free troll for the trollers....hey a gifts a gift...no doubt....bur refer make to the OP

like i say..i know at least 30 folks [bound to be many others ] that maybe would have reopened old accounts for a awesome collectable collection or whatever....

Its simply lost revenue for broadsword....simple as that!!! [whatever]
I am sorry but I call total bs on that my friend.
You personally know of at least 30 people that may have reopened accounts for nothing other then different holiday gifts?
Why again do you think that nobody takes anything you say seriously?
Shouldn't you be out wandering all the shards taking census btw? There is a noble and fact based endeavor lmao

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah..its a bit underwhelming. I do not think I will go through the hassle of even logging onto the characters on the shards I do not play. Doesn't seem worth the time unless something pops up. There is a report you can rarely get a towel with "your name" as a rare. I think that kinda junk that your name would be considered a rare as you'd be the only person who wants it. If they continue that policy I guess I need to delete all my holiday characters and remake in my main guys name.

Don't get me wrong..the bar would be cool as 1 per account..but flooding it like this was not very useful.
You never know when those towels will be worth 10000 clean up points. I would log in and grab them regardless of the potential worth today.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Win win for all I'm pretty sure with rtb all these people who won't open there accounts can and it will be free.

Sorry but there are more worthwhile things UO can do to generate more money then some yearly reward.
the gifts arent important. and they shouldnt be. its the game and playing that matters. RTB dont get gifts, im not even sure if an account that hasnt been active for 30 days would get gifts either.

point is, no one should re-activate an account for holiday gifts. waste of money. if gifts are the only reason someone would come back they probably shouldnt be "playing" (using that term very loosely) at all.

I like the gifts! Everyone on UOhall wanted a stuff for their tub (which i think is really dumb btw) and the devs gave it to them. and still poeople complain LOL.

I propose no more gifts of any kind. waste of dev time. time spent better devoted to bug fixes. (there are many new bugs that need fixing and im sure many more to come)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stay retired and ungrateful.
Nobody is reopening and paying for old accounts for no other reason then holiday crap.
I would have opened many old ones IF we got things like neon boxes. When those came out me and all my friends did just for a chance at a neon box. Some accounts stayed opened. Most did not.

We have not opened old accounts since the neon box season & will not this time. That being said I like the 17th items, just not enough to pay more for them. The furniture is best.

Tamergirl

Journeyman
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mercy, Its the 17th Annv.. and the gifts Im sure were not intended to get players back in game, The RTB coincides with the ANNIVERSARY and the changes in game, loot, VvV etc, not the gifts. The Gifts were a thank you to those who have been playing. I swear, I agree with Zuckuss "At least all the players who are unhappy with their gifts will have something to wipe their tears with." No one is making you stack up the gifts..if you dont want them give them to a friend who does! I for one, love the gifts we receive, some, yes, in previous years I couldnt use, but its the Thank you that it says is what counts. SO Thank you Broadsword, Mesanna and Devs..ignore the trolls who wouldnt be happy unless you paid for their accts and Gave them their gifts on sterling silver platters.(inscribed with their names of course)

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I would have opened many old ones IF we got things like neon boxes. When those came out me and all my friends did just for a chance at a neon box. Some accounts stayed opened. Most did not.

We have not opened old accounts since the neon box season & will not this time. That being said I like the 17th items, just not enough to pay more for them. The furniture is best.
I hate neon boxes... so there ya go. Never gonna make everyone happy.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lots of people would have reopened old accounts for definate!!! for neon boxs and the likes of olde holiday gifts....it used to be a happy time holiday trading through all the shards....another playstyle now defunct!!!...total waste/loss of what could have been a lot of extra revenue for the game producer...and i mean a lot of extra revenue....as as happened many times in the past!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry but I call total bs on that my friend.
You personally know of at least 30 people that may have reopened accounts for nothing other then different holiday gifts?
Why again do you think that nobody takes anything you say seriously?
Shouldn't you be out wandering all the shards taking census btw? There is a noble and fact based endeavor lmao
Belive want u want to belive and call your ******** whenever u want..

I have in the past opened several old accounts to collect holiday gifts for free happy trading with other shards....and i have well over 30 people on my traders icq list that used to do the same

so call all you want....troll away to your hearts content

ITS LOST REVENUE [FULLSTOP] FOR THE PRODUCERS OF UO

i will not respond further on this thread [no point] ive made my point....if the Devs want some pointers on how to increase there turnover then please pm me...happy to help to help our UO.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Belive want u want to belive and call your ******** whenever u want..

ITS LOST REVENUE [FULLSTOP] FOR THE PRODUCERS OF UO
its not. its lost $$ for EA. the producer of UO (mesanna) or the people who actually produce the content (broadsword) most likely would never see any additional resources from what EA already gives them.

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would rather people reopen their accounts for VvV or the Global Loot changes than to see them reopen just for 17th Anniv gifts.
But why miss the Opportunity when they were releasing this many changes, especially when the #1 focus for broadsword was on trying to attract returning players. Throw out a soul stone fragment, a heritage token, etc. Maybe even do 1 piece of a Suit of armor with 100 durabillity that's a step up from a Sorcerer Suit (70's, 40 lmc, 100 lrc, 6 Mr, 30 dci ) so players could take 6 toons and try to swap armor pieces to make a decent Mage suit to test out VvV with and Players could also get a mage suit they could utilize on other servers for VvV.

This isn't about not being grateful for free things in a game we pay a monthly subscription for. This is about a missed opportunity, for adding pixel crack to attract new players during RTB, to try and get them to drop a subscription.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate it when they feed the hen to the cow becuase they want French Toast. The world needs more Easter Eggs. Not happening if the chicken is a cow pie.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the gifts are nice, the bar makes houses a bit more realistic. However I'd personally rather see the game repaired or updated as a holiday gift for a while instead of random trinkets. Deco and trinkets are great, for a couple weeks. Devoting time to fixing in game bugs, or preventing 3rd party programs from being used improves the game forever.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lost revenue because you didn't think the gifts were good enough? Wow...kind of a shallow outlook on this game.

Personally, I would rather them devote time into more long-term improvements to this game that would draw more people back or encourage new players to come to this game for more than just one month. That would be more important than a one-time, temporary, increase in profit by a group of players opening up accounts for one month just to collect a few pixels, lol.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Always amusing when ONE PERSON (or 2 or 3) think they know what EVERYONE ELSE wants for gifts or whatever, lol. *rolls eyes* The new publish does little for me. But before that I got vendor search, which was awesome. It all equals out. If they do a tamer patch then everyone not a tamer is going to be disappointed. But they have to better the entire game as a whole and can't be catering to a few random posts. That's what's good for the game, even if it's not what I want. I'm mature enough to accept that. No matter what they do they will never make everyone happy. I have 17 years of proof, lol. I'm very happy we aren't recycling old items and hope we never do. Ruins the rares market. Makes things that were special not special at all. When I first heard towels, I admit it stuck me as very odd. But I've warmed up to the idea and I'm excited about them now. They will work nice in a tavern or a bathroom. 2 or my houses have bathrooms and it will be a nice addition. I think we'll have everything but a toilet now. Although a nice 2 square mirror above my Elvin wash basin would be nice. But if I don't get those I won't be posting here about what a fortune EA would have made if they had only made those toilets, or how EVERYONE would have came back from miles away to get one, lol. Cause we all know it's nonsense...

Last edited:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they don't implement hide and seek, UO will be dead within the year

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait so there are people out there in the past who opened accounts just for holiday gifts?

LOL.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont even get me started on that one...I think the EM Event program as got ''this well covered''.....LOL

U can snipe all u like...Its a wasted opportuinity for broadsword to get people to reopen more old accounts....hence its a lost opportunity for more income from the game ....[whatever]

sits back and sips a dram of 15 year oak casked whiskey...
I mean if you just cared about collections you could just collect the different names on the items. There are no rares, and thus nothing to sell/covet.

Last edited:

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I cant even get those who have an active account to log in to look at the Gifts in the past years never mind get people to pay for them. People who have homes and their accounts still being paid for and they cant be bothered to log in for ANY gift. So I just don't understand why people would be opening up and paying a month subs just for a gift which may or may not be the one worth collecting.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant even get those who have an active account to log in to look at the Gifts in the past years never mind get people to pay for them. People who have homes and their accounts still being paid for and they cant be bothered to log in for ANY gift. So I just don't understand why people would be opening up and paying a month subs just for a gift which may or may not be the one worth collecting.
They wouldn't, so your state of incredulity is reasonable. :D

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, there have been times, I reopened some accounts earlier than intended for still getting the gift - this will not be one of the times (even if there would be no RTB lurking around).
I won't even log in my gift collectors, since some of them already stand overloaded now with minimum strength and semi full backpacks. Heck, one gift package 23 ... 30 stones?
Therefore I agree with the OP in this sense.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
After seeing the 17th year items today, I can safely say I wont even bother to log in any more than the one char to collect them. After 17 years they can only think if giving us a hand towel, a useless sword and bar?

Am I being ungrateful? You are darn sure I am ! After 17 years of game play and this is what they come up with.

Complete and utter tosh!