• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another returning UO fan

M

mongeh

Well it has been quite a while since i last played UO, i think i left just after trammel was introduced so pretty much nothing is going to be like i remember.

i have been playing wow since release day and im starting to really miss a couple of thigns that wow will never have, like houses and boats, just the whole sandbox kinda thing UO offers i guess. so the plan is to play UO on nights that im not doing anything in wow and vice versa.

just gonna ask a few questions that have probably been asked a zillion times before so here goes :)

When i download a client 2d or the enhanced one will i have upto date files? (reason i ask this is because im about to go over to my parents place to download it as im on capped internet right now, and i dont want to go download it, get home and find i have another 500mb to dl still)

Is the Oceanic server worth playing on? or should i find a bigger US one?

When i can actually afford to get a house in UO, is there plenty of room on the oceanic server?

Hmm, well i cant think of any other questions at the moment, i did have a whole bunch i was going to ask but ive forgotten out of excitement ha!

If anyone feels like giving me a helping hand once i get into the game add me on maniac_ricky at hotmail.com there is no friends list / pm'ing in UO is there? i cant really remember all that much of it.

Time to go download the game :D
Hopefullly meet a bunch of UO players sometime tonight
Cheers

E

EveningKiss

Oce is pretty sadly doa. there are people but few and far between most the time.

you will have to update the latest patches so it can take some time depending on connection.

PLENTY of room to build. I got 2 of my old housing spots back when i rejoined last week. Houses are fairly cheap to build. 500k can build you a decent customized house and hunting for gold is fairly easy.

M

mongeh

Almost done downloading at my parents place now :) the 2d client file only seems to be maybe 1 or 2 patches behind, so i think my capped internet will handle it fine.

Do people on oce organise events since there arnt too many of them? or does everyone just solo / play with people they already know?

F

Fink

Right now there is a quest on which I think is having a limited run, so people are farming that and not hanging around where you might see them. There are some collectable items from it plus some sort of lottery type prize? I'm not sure.

That said, normally the place to see most people socially is the city of Luna on the Malas facet. It's sort-of Trinsic Lite, all sandstone and paladins. It has most npcs within a few screens and has nearby housing around it with player shops.

Also, there is a global chat system now, you can access it via the floating menu strip in either client. Pretty much everyone hangs out in the Help channel. As for events I don't think there are any player-run but the event moderators (EA employees) seem to put something on every week.

I hope you decide to stay, Oceania needs some more good people. :thumbup1:

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Almost done downloading at my parents place now :) the 2d client file only seems to be maybe 1 or 2 patches behind, so i think my capped internet will handle it fine.

Do people on oce organise events since there arnt too many of them? or does everyone just solo / play with people they already know?
There are event moderators who organise events weekly. Lucy can keep you updated via a communications crystal at Luna or visiting her at the barracks at Lord British's castle.

The server is definitely quiet compared to years ago however I can't say it impedes gameply at all. The few people that are here work very well as a community.

U

Unsatisfied

It's that quiet that you can place a house at tram Brit moongate if u want. Or I can show you keep spots, maybe even castle? But if your quittig wow for the old uo sandbox experience prepare for a bit of disappointment, it's becoming more and more like wow, and less of a sandbox with every new exp pack

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's that quiet that you can place a house at tram Brit moongate if u want. Or I can show you keep spots, maybe even castle? But if your quittig wow for the old uo sandbox experience prepare for a bit of disappointment, it's becoming more and more like wow, and less of a sandbox with every new exp pack
While UO has gone a little way towards WoW in recent times, it is still so much more of a sandbox MMO than WoW will ever be, and a far superior game too I might add.

While UO was left in a state of dissarray for the better part of last decade (2001-09), since Mythic took over development from 'in house' EA, things have started to get a lot better and the game is reciving more of the right attention.

E

EveningKiss

I know one thing about UO. If it can survive WOWO and all the look alike free games... it will be around for ALOT longer. This is one game that doesn't go down without a fight. Personally I would LOVE to see this game come back and kick WOW's butt. I think in another year or so the game could be great again. Hell id even like to see Mystic and EA start advertising for this game. Maybe a tribute... 13 years strong and growing. =)

Hell 3 more years and it can get its drivers license!

5 More and it can smoke in the US

8 years and it can drink!

lol