• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another open letter to Casca

I

Irvyn

My Lord,

It is my sincere hope that you do not take this amiss, but I am compelled to express my concern over some of your recent actions.

The force sent to form a buffer zone between Vesper and Minoc is welcome, but, as was inevitable, it has inflamed passions in Vesper. I will send an envoy to them in an attempt to persuade the city to a more peaceful course, but in truth I hold out little hope. I fear we must prepare for further unrest.

An internal statement released in Trinsic by my cousin Ikus offers the following in addition:

The Duchy of Trinsic is deeply saddened to see war has been declared on the kingdom. As loyal subjects to the kingdom we have always aided in the most suitable way to all parts of the kingdom that has needed it. This war will not be different.

As the military opposition against Vesper is already strong enough, we will aid in other areas. The two areas we will concentrate on are:

- A field hospital
- Resources to areas affected by attacks

This aid may be subject to change based on needs by the kingdom.
I will also take this opportunity to remind everyone of the Trinsic Cottage Hospital, which is open to all at no charge.

Turning to the matter of the census and tax of 1000 gold per person, I assure you that I fully appreciate the necessity of financing the Royal Guard. However, the amount is high and may cause significant hardship amongst the poorer people. I feel strongly that this flat rate is inequitable, and Trinsic shall levy only what each citizen can manage. It would be good if you might reconsider the matter.

Nevertheless, I can assure you that the tax will be fully paid following the census. Trinsic has the good fortune to be a prosperous city, and whatever a citizen cannot pay shall be made up from the Duchy coffers. Less prosperous cities may not have the ability to do this, and there is the potential for the tax to lead not only to hardship, but consequently to discontent and yet more unrest – which the Kingdom can ill afford.

With regard to the summary dismissal of Nathan Hawke from his position as Commander, a fuller (and public) explanation of your decision would be welcomed. It has taken some time for Nathan to be accepted, and his sudden removal must cause uncertainty and confusion just when the general populace were gaining confidence.

My lord, I am sure that you have good and sufficient reason for all of your actions. But as I have warned you previously, there is still great distrust of you, and a lack of understanding. For the sake of the Kingdom, I urge you to be honest and open with us.

May the Virtues guide you, and all of us, in the days to come.
Irvyn
Trinsic

The personal seal of the Duke of Trinsic:
An eagle flying, holding the branch of a thornbush in its claws; surrounding are the words "Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me, and my life is done."