• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Announcing A Public Charybdis! (20th July 8pm UK)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all,

After Nimuaq and I started trying to quantify the fishing rewards, we're finally in a position to start hosting Charybdis events, as I rolled the Oracle Of The Seas on a 130 point quest turn in today!

Charybdis - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

So we were thinking of holding the first tomorrow, Friday 20th at 8pm UK/GMT time. There's no cost to coming along, but if you could bring cannon-firing materials it would be helpful. One or two people prepared to risk their own boats being sunk and needing full repairs would also be appreciated, in case we need to move between boats to resurrect each other. Apparently we will need ranged damage as Charybdis doesn't close with sunken ships...

I shall try and host more public ones until the Bait runs out... after that I don't know what the odds are of just the Oracle alone, or even if it's possible, as this is new to me too! But if it is with just the Oracle, I hope we can make this a regular thing.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhoh ... that sounds sooo tempting. I will see if I can make it ... would love to!!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tempting indeed. :D I'll try make it! Reading UOGuide seems a tamer with GD wouldn't be helpful, So I'll bring my mage.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I was wondering about what char would be the most helpful ... mage sounds good. I am doing not too bad at the Void Pool, so maybe this could work out too for my mage ....

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh oh ! I will try to make it as well. Do we need more boats with cannons etc, or just more boats to move between?

But.. hmm at what time? Is it GMT or is it BST aka UK time? It`s a one hour difference during summer.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
8pm UK time, so on BST I guess... at the time of posting this it's nearly 1pm UK time, so 7 hours from this post.

Meeting place, I was thinking of locating the general area first and moving one of my boats to it, and then gating you all out to save time. Councillors Hall if you like as a gathering spot, but I'll also be in General Chat a fair while before to round up as many as I can who want to see it, and I've a fair amount of runes all over the place.

Cannon firing may be useful, so bring ammunition; I'll take my Ork boat for extra damage, from what I've seen though on YouTube a Brittania ship is big enough to fight at range away from the tentacles, so if you've got one of those... But depending on where he spawns it could be miles from another healer, so I was thinking a few boats just to allow us to resurrect somewhere close if things go wrong.

And most importantly of all; COME FOR THE FUN! From what I've read, his loot is terrible (Epiphany Armour seems to be it) and death is plentiful... it also seems you DO need the bait as well as the Oracle to spawn him, and after hundreds of fishing quests we've only got a little of that between Nimuaq and I, so I can't promise many cracks at him from us, for now.

If you've got your own bait, I think I can locate Charybdis for you to fish up on your own character? That is, using the Oracle puts him on the map, but using the bait at that spot raises him? So let me know if you've got any, the fish oil isn't exactly expensive, so I'm happy to pop Oracle charges off in the future for all you baiters.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm deeply and terribly sorry about this. We have previously spawned Charybdis in TC1 at the first try using the fisherman armor set and the bait. After months of fishing quests, we finally had the items needed to spawn this thing so were very excited about this. We're still not sure if it was the guard zone or the ships, but somehow we couldn't spawn it. After we ran out of baits, I asked people from other shards about the bait, told a friend to get it and even buy it if necessary, pm'd online EMs about it, paged GMs and even tried to contact Mesanna, but they were either offline or couldn't help.

Sincere apologies, we will make this up to you!

T

Tazar

Sadly, it is not a guaranteed fish-up for Charybdis. With 5 bait, I am surprised that you were unable to get it to rise. Were you getting the "Bubbles" message? If so, you were in the right spot and it could have spawned.

We have done it with many ships around before. We have also done it at the edge of a guard zone before so I do not think that those were the issue.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need for an apology. It worked well with Scalis, since Charybdis didn`t want join the party. Thanks for the white nets used, and thanks for holding the event. I for one haven`t fought Scalis before, so it was an all new experience. Haven`t seen Corgul either for that matter. Since Charybids is the meanest one, good with practice. If the bait is locked to the same rng as all the other baits, it is no wonder it did not spawn. Out of 150 baits for holy mackerel, I got 3 of those a few days back. Then I was using the suit as well.

Next time!

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No problem, always next time :) Just make sure we have more bait next time! Still had fun with Scalis

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly, it is not a guaranteed fish-up for Charybdis. With 5 bait, I am surprised that you were unable to get it to rise. Were you getting the "Bubbles" message? If so, you were in the right spot and it could have spawned.
We tried without the fisherman suit before and wasted 10 baits without fishing-up Charybdis. Then, Minerva suggested us to use the fisherman armor set and we managed to spawn it at the first try with that. We thought 5 baits was enough and since it takes forever to get even one of these baits, we didn't have more (in fact, we thought we had 5 more).

We have already documented our last 50 orders, the average order size is 3.4 and none of them yield a charybdis bait. This is 3.4 x 20 fish x 50 orders = 3400 fish which takes 3400 x 8 seconds ~= 7 hours to fish. We will, however, make sure we have more than 20 before announcing another event. :(

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought Scalis was the strongest boss in the game? Haven't heard about anyone fighting Chary tho

T

Tazar

I thought Scalis was the strongest boss in the game? Haven't heard about anyone fighting Chary tho
Once, we tamed about 100 Kirins and Unicorns and released them on one of the Brit Boats and then took off to conquer Charybdis... 3 of them actually survived the fight. They did a good job of keeping the tentacles tied up.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We have done it with many ships around before. We have also done it at the edge of a guard zone before so I do not think that those were the issue.
Thanks Tazar, that's somewhat reassuring; yes I got the "Bubbles" message on all 5 casts... the Pinco UI actually auto-placed the marker 2 ship-steps to the east from the exact Oracle co-ordinates, and I tried to fish there on the third cast... but bubbles and nothing more again. I am guessing though that Legendary Fishing also expands the catch area for Charybdis to 4 squares, just as it does for MiBs, in order to bubble in 2 separated spots; so we learned one thing today at least! The only other thing I can think of as to why he didn't say hello, apart from bad RNG results, is that he needs space to spawn. When Nimuaq and I can locate some more bait, we'll keep the sea clear around the spot....

My deepest thanks to Escaflowne for sharing his bag o'maps, which saved the day for entertainment at least. I didn't die once during 2 Osireadon and 4 Leviathan, despite being a roleplay character with a cutlass and not much else; He he, I just concentrated on clearing the decks of snakes and resurrecting people, took me to GM healing and beyond ye dyin' dogs did! But yes, Osireadon is much harder than almost everything else, but not if you hide and let everyone else hit him instead! I also got Admirals Rum for casting one of the maps, which was nice to see. But waaaaait a moment, I see chests in that last screen shot of me broken Ork ship! I forgot to check for them! I hope someone looted them, those are semi-rare (marbled peach) chests as they only spawn from these fiends, and they have resources inside them! And look at me, running off after a snake again! Bah, mateys!

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty sure you were tossing nets unless you were trying to cover Scalis in soggy maps :p

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But waaaaait a moment, I see chests in that last screen shot of me broken Ork ship! I forgot to check for them! I hope someone looted them, those are semi-rare (marbled peach) chests as they only spawn from these fiends, and they have resources inside them! And look at me, running off after a snake again! Bah, mateys!
I took them just before second Scalis spawned. There was some common peerless resources inside.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fish-net stockings be the "map" to heaven, ye lubbers! That's my excuse, an' I'm stickin' too it! Nim's still asking around after more bait, so if we can find some we can try again and I'll post it publicly once more... for now though, back to the fishin', the next two quests were 1 liners, and the third was of course bound to be the crab I'd ran out of, gah.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I had bad weather last night and could not play.
I was the fisher on RAAMs both Charybdis hunts. Leg fisher with suit . It was long ago but I think I never used more than three baits. I think that was horrible as its sooo hard to get them.
Once we had a Britannia ship and it kept us fairly safe. It didnt take too much damage . The boss wasnt that hard to kill. The other time we had a normal big ship and we were very close to lose it , we could have needed ores to get to the shore. Cannons. .we had no luck using thoose as Charybdis turned the ships around and dived under the ship and came up on the wrong side.
It was a fun and different fight but no loot really. The fisher get an armour piece and there are several sets so it will take years to get a set as the bait is so rare.
I got a bait the other day thou, and I have some spare as well. Nimuaq once gave me baits that I didnt deserve so I have not used them eighter. I have 17 baits in total . Count me in next time .

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Minerva, as you have the bait, why don't you pick the next time for an event, and we'll all come along together! I can swap to a more combat capable character then too...

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing wrong with the time., Just I live in the middle of nowhere and thunder is a prob. Smashed equipment and power cuts can happen any day. I can hand ower baits to Nimuaq just in case.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I had a blast!! Thank you two for the hard work getting the bait and nets and all! I didn't die that often in an hour since ... well, since before Renaissance I think. Imagine what would have happened if the Big One would have shown up! I probably could have switched my screen for a b/w one without knowing the difference ... *G*

Thanks again and I am looking forward to more crazyness soon ...

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i can't wait for the next one :) If everyone with their chary bait comes together we can get one up for certain! I have 43 fabled fishing nets standing by just incase!, maybe at the end of Chary we can all throw one off each and die together, or crash the server :p