• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Animal Lore

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My animal lore is about 106/107 with a 110 cap. I was is the best animal to use lore on to gain. I would be most thankful for any help.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest I never had a problem raising lore, just by vetting my pets, and using lore on them as well as everything I was fighting/taming.

But maybe someone else has a chart or something, I really don't know ....

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not tried healing them, was just using lore on animals. I will try healing my pets.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every time you tame or vet a pet you gain lore also, that helps a lot to raise lore very quickly.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lore raises without a difficulty check so you can train by using the skill directly to lore a creature, or let it raise as you train your other taming skills. I always preferred to train it by vetting and taming rather than work on lore specifically, because then I was gaining in two skills at a time. I tended to take my tamer out and hunt and get the gains through vetting steadily at a spawn. Once you can vet well enough to keep a pet alive, you may as well use it out "in the field" and pay for those bandages :)

Wenchy

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vet and Animal Lore are alot easier to train than Animal Taming. When I was training my tamer, I would go to dungeons and offer to vet others pets, since my pets were not that good. Most folks don't turn away free heals and give you a fair return.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been healing my pets to gain lore though I feel it is going to be a painful process going from 107 to 110. It feels very slow.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah yes at high level it's always slow unfortunately. You would have to heal poison to really gain efficiently. I'm not even sure if all poson level would work or just the highest.
In fact I think it would be easier to raise lore while taming at that level.

What you could do to be sure you're getting the best chance to raise lore is:

1- get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge that is a quest reward given by Ortlem the Mystic in Tel Mur. He asks to bring him 100 dragon blood and daemon bones.

2-Once you get the ball, keep it in your inventory and activate it.

3- go tame pets that would be at the right difficulty to make you gain taming at 107 skill level (something that would give you 45 to 50 % chances to successfully tame at 107 taming/lore skill level).
Each time the taming check will use a skill the ball of knowledge will tell you if it was the right difficulty to gain in each skill used (taming/lore).
Adjust the taming difficulty depending on what the ball tells you, it has to be optimum (or optimal I don't remember) at best, or challenging/easy could work also. Any other difficulty level won't make you gain fast enough or at all.

If your taming level is to low to let you try and tame the pets at the right difficulty level try finding a ring/brace to raise it, otherwise it doesn't matter if you always fail your taming attempt, the only important thing is to be able to try. At each successful taming attempt there are several automatic lore checks (I don't remember exactly how many though) so each taming attempt is a nice opportunity to gain some lore skill points.

In fact I guess the ideal would be to find a pet not too dangerous, that you can "begin to tame " without too many tries but that you'll mostly fail to tame so you don't have to bother killing it or releasing/finding another one.
Except of course if you want to gain taming at the same time than lore, then find a pet that gives you optimal chance at both.

I hope this helps you, but don't worry lore will raise eventually !
I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's taming that is a huge pain to raise at high level and in doing so your lore skill will be legendary in no time without you doing anything special for it. ;)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the best option at that level is just play your tamer and hunt plenty. You're at a high level of skill so it will be slow, but for all you've got to train I really really wouldn't even think about it. I certainly wouldn't do anything special to raise it, because just using your tamer and vetting will do it so "training" can be integrated into your normal play. Especially with 3 points to go heh.

What I'd do in your shoes is find a pet I want to train and go out and train it in dungeons hunting spawn you'd want to hunt. Then you get usable loot/resources, your pet gains are there for you to focus on instead, and by vetting the pet you'll raise lore without thinking about it. I always take the approach of how much can I achieve/gain skill in simultaneously because it saves time and frustration if one skill is slow. Where if I'm just working on one thing then I can't help but curse at it ;) I aim to maximise the loot, and train as many pet and player skills at a time so the time is always productive.

Wenchy

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'd do in your shoes is find a pet I want to train and go out and train it in dungeons hunting spawn you'd want to hunt. Then you get usable loot/resources, your pet gains are there for you to focus on instead, and by vetting the pet you'll raise lore without thinking about it. I always take the approach of how much can I achieve/gain skill in simultaneously because it saves time and frustration if one skill is slow. Where if I'm just working on one thing then I can't help but curse at it ;) I aim to maximise the loot, and train as many pet and player skills at a time so the time is always productive.
This plus eleventy thousand. People spend too much time worrying about training rather than getting out there and playing!

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, just go out with your pets, go hunt, go explore or go by yourself to tame some stuff for fun. Your animal lore will raise without you even noticing and in no time it'll be at 110.

I like to tame Cu sides I always hope I'll get a colored one with good stats, or even the very special fire one !
So every time I tame one I run check the new spawned to see what I got, that way it doesn't seem like a chore.
Or I also spend some time taming unicorns and then donating them to the zoo, I can dream about the reward I'll be able to claim one day, that makes it funnier also.
Or I go for drakes in destard, easy to tame (peace/tamer) but I'm always on the lookout for the GD's that I can't calm, it's not funny per see but exciting, and as long as it's not boring I'm all for it. And who knows ? Maybe I'll spot an extremely good GD there ! That would be a treat even though I already have a good one.

See what I mean ? My taming and music skills are raising and I'm not training but playing. I could already have got 120 music by spending an afternoon just playing instruments, but how boring would that be !ull

Still some people like to get it over with by training until the skill is maxxed, not my thing but if they prefer it like that, good for them ! Then the ball of knowledge is very useful.
And also with some skills like fishing, you are fishing anyway, but best to do it where you'll gain in skill.
And some skills are also almost impossible to raise without training, like most crafter skills.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know the sad thing about me is that I have never tamed any of the pets I hunt with. Never tamed my dragon, white wyrm, nightmare or fire steed. I was always too afraid and someone in the guild was always willing to help me. Someday I should try :)

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well those aren't easy pets to tame, they are aggressive and they also are in dangerous places....

What is your template? and the race of your char ?
Maybe we can give you some tips on how to tame some pet by yourself without ending dead... or at least not too often :p

The hardest is the first, once you have solo tamed your first aggressive pet, usually it becomes easier to go and get the others. Not safer mind you, we all get dead sometimes, but easier to get the nerves to try ;)

Last edited:

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well those aren't easy pets to tame, they are aggressive and they also are in dangerous places....
Indeed. It is indeed a proud moment when, alone, you've traveled deep into lethal territory and convinced a dangerous beast to agree to be your companion... But myself, I've never turned down a gift or have been too proud to ask for assistance or looked down on someone who frequents the stalls of New Magnicia.

The mark of a true tamer is how he trains and treats his companions, not how they came to be in his stable.