• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And UO slowly changes into a FTP without being one.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I started and for many years you paid your fee and enjoyed everything in the game for the monthly sum. Everyone had the same options, the same mounts etc. Slowly things have changed and increasingly you can have things others do not have IF YOU PAY EXTRA. As always once the thin edge of the wedge is introduced this has increased- now it is. Want a Rainbow Unicorn? sure - PAY. - Extra stable slots used to be increased slowly FREE. Want more today? sure- PAY. I uses to think I would be playing UO till the lights went out, now I am not so sure. I might as well go play a FTP which actually is and then pay for what I want without the danger of losing what i have if for some reason I do not pay my regular fee on time and have no access to the internet.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All true. And a blatant cash grab by EA.

Thing is enough people will be willing to pay (insert Dot Warners seal clubbing analogy here) and EA will realise that they have an audience who will pay to win on top of their monthly subscription.

Rest assured they will milk this cash cow for all they can so don't expect anything other than the right to log in with your monthly sub. Anything else will cost extra.

As the OP said ... may as well go F2P.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can't go FTP before they have enough stuff in the store to make players without a sub spent at least the same amount as us sublings on a regular (i.e. monthly) basis.

The FTP accounts will be poor people. 100 backpack slots, +10 backpack slot token for 200 sovereign, up to 7 times or the like. 3 character slots, +1 character slot token in the store. That's the shape of things to come for FTP players! You read it here first :p

I'd guess the stable slots are hardly anything a new player would want to have in his first months or even year.

Belmarduk

Adventurer
I have no problem as long as there are no game-breaking differences is the UO-Store --> stable-slots is borderline..

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Bobar I agree 100%! It used to be you either paid a subscription and got the full game content or you played for free with a cash shop and you made choices as to how much you wanted to grind and how much you wanted to buy. Charging a subscription and quite a substantial one at that compared to other games, but then introducing a cash shop on top is just bad form and very greedy! Most of the MMO's that wanted to bring a cash shop in for extra revenue also went free-to-play to some extent at the same time. Quite often using a tiered payment system with a range of options from free to a reduced monthly subscription was the chosen way to go. EA want to have their cake and eat it too....

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
FTP players could be restricted to set classes. They wouldn't be able to choose and pick their skills like subscription based players can. Also limit them to 500 skill points. They could unlock an unrestricted character slot token from the UO store for $50.

No housing for FTP players unless of course they buy a $50 token from the UO store.

:)

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not going to lie, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be regarding how UO was slowly turning into a File-Tranfer-Protocol (FTP).

So I'm a little disappointed to find it's about it turning into a Free-to-play (F2P) business model. I'm not sure I have much opinion on the matter. I want UO to stay open so I understand it needs to milk it's player base as best it can but at the same time I don't want to be nickle and dimed at every point.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm not going to lie, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be regarding how UO was slowly turning into a File-Tranfer-Protocol (FTP).
Me too *laughing*

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO/FTP is something new for mee too o.0
There are U/FTP, F/FTP, S/FTP, and SF/FTP - foil shielded twisted pair cables.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I uses to think I would be playing UO till the lights went out, now I am not so sure. I might as well go play a FTP which actually is and then pay for what I want without the danger of losing what i have if for some reason I do not pay my regular fee on time and have no access to the internet.
I have to admit this turn is also really turning me off as well. I don't mind F2P games, they aren't my thing really, but I have no issue with them. This Sub+ trend is just not cool for me.

Either switch to some kind of F2P model or put stuff in the game rather than in the store.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem as long as there are no game-breaking differences is the UO-Store --> stable-slots is borderline..
I don't think it's game breaking but it sure as heck is lame. Especially coming with the taming upgrade.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no one tells you to buy it. if its just shinies, not like u need them.

last i looked EA is a publicly traded company.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be thrilled if eventually they just dropped the subscription. But they have to fill the store with more stuff first. As mentioned above.. store sales have to generate more revenue before subscription free play can be profitable.

Turbo

Adventurer
As long as you all keep paying for overpriced pixels while still paying a sub they will just keep going down this path. If nobody bought stuff like stable slots because it is an overpriced cash grab they might need to reconsider the value for money side of it to generate sales.

Everyone is complaining about the prices but you dont have to buy anything if you dont like it. Im sure you can get by without being an obsessive pet collector. Seriously how many of them do you actually use anyway and how many do you have just to say you have them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I see FTP as something that would KILL the econom
As long as you all keep paying for overpriced pixels while still paying a sub they will just keep going down this path. If nobody bought stuff like stable slots because it is an overpriced cash grab they might need to reconsider the value for money side of it to generate sales.

Everyone is complaining about the prices but you dont have to buy anything if you dont like it. Im sure you can get by without being an obsessive pet collector. Seriously how many of them do you actually use anyway and how many do you have just to say you have them.
Don't plan on buying it... but it doesn't matter.... others already have bent over that barrel... so now we'll all be expected to.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
In my opinion the extra pet slots are vanity items. A full blown Tamer that is up to date has 21 slots, I believe. That should be enough to cover gaming needs, again that is my opinion. There really is no need to "collect them all". I do not get that attitude any more than I get the attachment to 'pixels'. Just because the profile says wonderfully happy does not mean the pixels share any emotions or attachment.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FTP players could be restricted to set classes. They wouldn't be able to choose and pick their skills like subscription based players can. Also limit them to 500 skill points. They could unlock an unrestricted character slot token from the UO store for $50.

No housing for FTP players unless of course they buy a $50 token from the UO store.

I really hope you aren't being serious. 720 skill points is fine, the idea is to get people to play, not immediately pay a sub. You can even limit the number of characters on newly created accounts (returning vet accounts should be able to access old chars without a sub), but housing should still be ok on a limited basis. Open up land not currently place-able, then make it open to 7X7 placement with manual refreshing.

The idea here, get people away from the free shards and back onto official servers, create interest in the game by having more people in it, create revenue by giving the option of a paid sub or value ridden store to those who return or already play.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my opinion the extra pet slots are vanity items. A full blown Tamer that is up to date has 21 slots, I believe. That should be enough to cover gaming needs, again that is my opinion. There really is no need to "collect them all". I do not get that attitude any more than I get the attachment to 'pixels'. Just because the profile says wonderfully happy does not mean the pixels share any emotions or attachment.
So we should go ahead and get rid of housing, cause 175 item bank box is more than enough to cover gaming.

Sorry, but the idea that we shouldn't collect stuff in UO is flat out ridiculous. People collecting stuff and their attachment to the pixels is the ONLY reason this game still exists.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The Endless Journey ;). Let's hope it happens, UO's version of F2P :)

Ultima The Endless Journey Account?
I'd rather it didn't, I'm not confident that they can successfully convert UO to a F2P or Freemium model there are just so many things that are integral to game they would have to eliminate for Free players that would quite honestly make the game not worth it at all when you look at the alternatives out there. Also with what we're seeing makes me think they haven't figured out how such models work. You can't go and milk subscribers for money for things that have an effect on actual game play, vanity items sure make us pay. On the other hand with free players, absolutely milk them for what you can, that's the point of F2P, but subs should be getting either get a monthly Sovereign allotment once this Endless Journey to irrelevance begins, or straight up access to things like the stable slot boost without an additional cost if not both. If this is planned then putting this out here now is nothing more than a cash grab and brings up serious questions about the state of UO.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You seem to have missed the part where changes in UO really do occur because of 3 or 4 people. They're not hard to find either, just read this and other threads. We could all boycott the purchase of these stable slots, but those 3-4 people will buy enough of them to make BS not regret a thing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You seem to have missed the part where changes in UO really do occur because of 3 or 4 people. They're not hard to find either, just read this and other threads. We could all boycott the purchase of these stable slots, but those 3-4 people will buy enough of them to make BS not regret a thing.
Exactly ...... as I said those that have already have forced the rest of us to either bend over the barrel and take it.... or go without.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I apologize

I feel they will up the stable amount after all this negative feed back at least I'm hopeful they will.

Once again sorry

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I apologize

I feel they will up the stable amount after all this negative feed back at least I'm hopeful they will.

Once again sorry
I certainly hope your right.

Not holding my breath though.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't so much mind the slots for purchase because otherwise they would likely have never budged on that. What does really rub me the wrong way is that they could have easily given tamer characters 10-15 free slots while making the rest sold on the shop. I think the extra slots are great for non tamers in the event they ever start doing collectible pets again, like the purple bunnies a lot of people threw out due to lack of stable space...
I don't want to see any more core game mechanics appear on the shop, it should only be for clothing, mounts, and other fluff items.

But the cash incentive is there I guess. They were "unsure" about the pet slot issue till a week before live, then someone at one of the meetups suggested putting them on the shop and blam so it was done in less than a week...

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I'd rather it didn't, I'm not confident that they can successfully convert UO to a F2P or Freemium model there are just so many things that are integral to game they would have to eliminate for Free players that would quite honestly make the game not worth it at all when you look at the alternatives out there. Also with what we're seeing makes me think they haven't figured out how such models work. You can't go and milk subscribers for money for things that have an effect on actual game play, vanity items sure make us pay. On the other hand with free players, absolutely milk them for what you can, that's the point of F2P, but subs should be getting either get a monthly Sovereign allotment once this Endless Journey to irrelevance begins, or straight up access to things like the stable slot boost without an additional cost if not both. If this is planned then putting this out here now is nothing more than a cash grab and brings up serious questions about the state of UO.

#23Nexus,
^^This, a thousand times, this.

Cheers,
Conny

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
or make it a requirement that all the F2P people must play Siege =) No insurance, so when they get looted they have to go back to the store and buy the same things over and over and over!!!! we could triple the size of the team!!!!!!!!!!

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
or make it a requirement that all the F2P people must play Siege =) No insurance, so when they get looted they have to go back to the store and buy the same things over and over and over!!!! we could triple the size of the team!!!!!!!!!!
You know, there is some merit to that suggestion! When I started out, most people were hanging out at Britain bank and the instant you stepped outside the city limits? BAM! Murderers and thieves were just waiting there for you. It was an adventure, and a challenge. (That said, I'm a proponent of both Tram and Fel rulesets).
Start the 'never ending journey' on Siege/Mugen...I think most folks who are here for the long(er) haul will migrate over (at least in part) to enjoy all game play aspects.

Cheers!
Conny

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
one step closer to proper UO being FTP... like all good FTPs present and past .....u just Play and buy the upgrades u want.

having Extra housing the obvious ''next token upgrade''

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense to UO, I recognize I'm here as long as the lights are on but...

With all the games out, all the latest graphics & engines that run them, all the games scheduled to come out.....
nickel & dime-ing players in a F2P environment then charging a sub on top could be the nail in the coffin guys.:(

If this goes to a F2P Model exclusively & I have to also pay a sub??....:coco: *turns off the lights & closes door*

PM me for my Xbox & PS names if ya'll wanna game sometime.:party:

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

With all the games out, all the latest graphics & engines that run them, all the games scheduled to come out.....
nickel & dime-ing players in a F2P environment then charging a sub on top could be the nail in the coffin guys.:(

If this goes to a F2P Model exclusively & I have to also pay a sub??....:coco: *turns off the lights & closes door*

How about you log in sometime cochise and hop into vent?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
42 slots wouldn't allow you to "collect them all". It wouldn't allow you to collect half of them. When you consider colors, variations, rare and vanity pets, 42 probably wouldn't allow you to collect even 1/4th. And that's just visual differences, not factoring all of the situations where two or even five pets in a stable really function as 1 in terms of how they are used, or making use of the new system to tailor different pets to different situations like warriors tailor different swords to different situations.
I really don't get why people see under 50 as such a massive number when I would wager a good percent of people critical of "pet hoarding" (as having more than 21 pets is referred to) most likely have collections of some random item that easily eclipses that number, if not multiple collections, if not many many collections.

My house for example is packed full of junk and probably 10 or more different collections, not only do I not get criticized for "hoarding" these thousands of items, I often get praise from strangers on my collection.

Are extra slots essential? No. Then again, nothing is really essential. It's all about how people play and what allows them to have fun "in their opinion."

When a system is implemented that activly encourages people, (people the developers know a vast number of whom already have full stables) to add more pets to their stables is it really so much to expect at very least a few extra slots so people can try out the new stuff without sacrificing any of the pets they may have accrued over the course of nearly 20 years? I really don't think so. In fact I think it would be a completely reasonable expectation that such a free boost would come along with such a change.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but the idea that we shouldn't collect stuff in UO is flat out ridiculous. People collecting stuff and their attachment to the pixels is the ONLY reason this game still exists.
I don't get why more people don't understand this. We should want people to be excited about getting out there and collecting a million pink and polkadotted pets. It gives them a reason to log on, and a reason to interact with others in game/online community.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran

No way, I would pay then 50 USD and have housing..... much cheaper than 2 x 6 month codes.... so no it wont work here. Housing will still be bound to full subscriptions most likely if not then they have seriously screwed up!!

I really hope you aren't being serious. 720 skill points is fine, the idea is to get people to play, not immediately pay a sub. You can even limit the number of characters on newly created accounts (returning vet accounts should be able to access old chars without a sub), but housing should still be ok on a limited basis. Open up land not currently place-able, then make it open to 7X7 placement with manual refreshing.

The idea here, get people away from the free shards and back onto official servers, create interest in the game by having more people in it, create revenue by giving the option of a paid sub or value ridden store to those who return or already play.
I like the idea of the vet having access to the old chars, that would help older players back for sure, without having to make an initial investement and see if the changes made to the game appeal to you.
About Free acc having housing, I dont think they should, same as they shouldnt be able to enter Fel either, if they even go close to an IDOC, 50 tiles away they get teleported away to a random place each time.

I dont get why they dont use the ESO scheme, F2P, and if you want to be top end, you need to start paying for subs and extras.
About making the sub players have benefits over the F2P, well as you said, give them soverigns each month so they can spend in the store, same as the ESO crowns.

You and many others for sure would leave not even looking back!!

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No way, I would pay then 50 USD and have housing..... much cheaper than 2 x 6 month codes.... so no it wont work here. Housing will still be bound to full subscriptions most likely if not then they have seriously screwed !
I agree subscription based players should have an advantage. F2p players could be limited to a very small house. Dont give them the luxury of house customization.

Maybe limit f2p players to 1 or 2 designs. More unlockable house designs could be available from the UO store.

Small houses shouldn't be the only restriction. They should also be limited in selection of skills and max skill points. Would be better than limiting the number of characters since ppl can just make new accounts for extra characters anyway.

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I agree subscription based players should have an advantage. F2p players could be limited to a very small house. Dont give them the luxury of house customization.

Maybe limit f2p players to 1 or 2 designs. More unlockable house designs could be available from the UO store.

Small houses shouldn't be the only restriction. They should also be limited in selection of skills and max skill points. Would be better than limiting the number of characters since ppl can just make new accounts for extra characters anyway.

No houses for F2P, as then IDOCs would be filled of free accs with houses, although not the nicest thing to speak about its still part of the game and the livelihood for some

I think F2P accs, if they wanan go that route, only have 1 char, no 120s skills, no ethys, basically nothing, they should buy it all up that they need or pay a sub, only way it will incentive people

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
DOES F2P MEAN FREE TO CHEAT, DUPE, USE EXPLOITS, ECT...? I SEE SO MANY BAD THINGS THAT CAN/WILL BE DONE. WAITING TO SEE HOW MANY ACCOUNTS CAN/WILL BE USE TO DO EVENTS(20 or more?) AND OTHER THINGS IN GAME. CAN SCRIPTING OF RESOURCES/LOOT BE DONE? I WILL QUIT THE GAME BEFORE I PAY FOR MORE PET SLOTS. IM AMAZED THAT THE DEVS ADDED SO MANY NEW PETS AND NOT ADD ANY PET SLOTS, U MUST PAY FOR THEM LOL. TO FUNNY AND SAD AT THE SAME TIME.

Turbo

Adventurer
I can see how people would open up a ftp account and run scripts 24/7 to farm stuff that they can pass off to their normal accounts without risking a ban on an account that matters. I dont know how you would restrict enough to stop this.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think most people have assumed that it will be the same rules as a trial account but will last longer than two weeks. Hard to see people wanting to play for any length of time with those restrictions though. I'm not even sure what all the restrictions are on a trial account. Since they have not released any details yet, nobody really knows...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes there are info of the Trial account we have now.

Trial Accounts – Ultima Online
Trial Accounts
Trial accounts allow prospective new players to ‘sample’ the game for two weeks without cost, but with certain significant restrictions. Anyone can get a Free 14 day trial account here

Trial Account Restrictions:
  • Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
  • Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
  • Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
    • Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
  • Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions –
    • Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they’d otherwise qualify for better types
    • Will not receive sand or stone when mining
  • Trial Account Misc. restrictions –
    • Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
    • Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
    • Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
    • Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
    • Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
    • Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
    • Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
    • Cannot use Commodity Deeds
    • Cannot do Community Collections
    • Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
    • Cannot use Pet summoning balls
    • Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
    • Cannot use the Bag of Sending
    • Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
    • Cannot acquire BOD’s
    • Can only join the Help Channel of Global Chat

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can see how people would open up a ftp account and run scripts 24/7 to farm stuff that they can pass off to their normal accounts without risking a ban on an account that matters. I dont know how you would restrict enough to stop this.
That's what I said... that and using them to watch champ spawns etc... all sorts of "shady" practices... but I was told I was wrong and that this will help the game... as all these new players will come... FROM WHERE??? The "woodwork"???

UO doesn't advertise... UO doesn't do much of anything...... most the interviews by the DEVs (Mesanna) are closely guarded secrets that only a select few seem to know about or find out about and share with the rest of us...

I fail to see how this is going to bring in new players... I can seriously see how this will be abused... and has a potential to totally kill UO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hard to see people wanting to play for any length of time with those restrictions though.
Yup, that's the idea. The free accounts in f2p games that also have subs are really just to give the chance to try the game, and give them just enough room to get invested in playing and wanting to sub/spend money in an item shop. You can see much of the game with a trial account, but you can't get any of the stuff that keep people paying for accounts, like scrolls and housing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, that's the idea. The free accounts in f2p games that also have subs are really just to give the chance to try the game, and give them just enough room to get invested in playing and wanting to sub/spend money in an item shop. You can see much of the game with a trial account, but you can't get any of the stuff that keep people paying for accounts, like scrolls and housing.
That's not true in general. Take Star Trek Online (around since 2010). You can grind everything a subscription player has out. It just takes you enormous amounts of your time. Even the store cash that people buy with their money can be grinded in tiny amounts.

The idea of having free players only "check out" the game is IMHO very flawed and will hardly make anyone play UO on this basis. The idea should not be to force them into a subscription but into the very more lucrative UO store on a regular basis.

I only doubt Mesanna has any vision there. She will just make sure her friends don't get too much of a shock (i.e. keep FTP accounts useless) and then keep milking whats there to milk.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not true in general. Take Star Trek Online (around since 2010). You can grind everything a subscription player has out. It just takes you enormous amounts of your time.

The idea of having free players only "check out" the game is IMHO very flawed and will hardly make anyone play UO on this basis. The idea should not be to force them into a subscription but into the very more lucrative UO store on a regular basis.
Right, but the end goal is to get you subbing/spending. The grinding of store currency is to give you the technical freedom to never pay for anything, but unless you want to sink in ungodly hours grinding boring tasks you are probably going to spend money. That time spent grinding is usually going to lead players to think "I'm invested, so maybe I'll spend 20 bucks" etc. It's really only there to create frustration/investment that leads to paying money while still allowing them to say "it's totally free! you can get anything in game! in ads"

I have some experience with that kind of set up with Marvel Heroes, and I eventually spent the 5 bucks to get the hero I wanted because the grind was taking too long.