• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Fiction An Ancient Evil; Part Two

EM Obsidian

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Francis nervously paced around the basement of the Vesper Tanner, waiting for his accomplice Jayce to arrive. The two had become separated while fleeing from a lich near the Cove graveyard. Francis kept replaying the day’s events in his head, as he grasped a red skullcap in his hand; trying to figure out why his fence Mikhail would betray him. Francis exhaled a deep sigh as he slouched down onto a chair, and took a small loaf of bread, and bottle of wine out from his pack. A few moments into eating his meal, Francis heard hurried steps crossing the floor upstairs. With a hand on his dagger, Francis turned his attention to the stairway to see whom was coming down. A look of relief came across his face, when he saw that it was Jayce making his way down.

“You made it! Thank the Virtues!” exclaimed Francis, as he tossed the half-full bottle of wine to Jayce.

Jayce caught the bottle, and angrily threw it against the wall. He then stormed over to where Francis was sitting and proceeded to knock him to the ground with a swift punch to the jaw.

“You fool! You nearly got me killed!” exclaimed Jayce.

Francis turned himself over on the floor, and sat up; rubbing the side of his jaw. His attention was drawn to Jayce, and how he was nursing a rather nasty looking burn on his shoulder, most likely obtained while fleeing the lich’s fireballs. He then reached into his pocket and took out a vial of yellow liquid. He then held it and the red skullcap up to Jayce. Jayce hesitated for a moment, and then took the crude bandage from Francis. Francis stood all the way up and motioned for Jayce to join him at the table. Jayce paused for a moment, and sat down as be began to nurse his wound.

“My sincerest apologies, Jayce. I did not know what we were getting ourselves into. Mikhail is the one you should be throwing punches at.” Said Francis with a smile, as he rubbed his jaw once more. Jayce sat in silence as he tore the skullcap into two pieces and poured the vial of yellow liquid onto it. He then took the sodden skullcap and held it on his shoulder.

“After thinking about it… Mikhail wants us dead for some reason. Perhaps it has to do with the Celeste artifacts we obtained from him back at the docks, but honestly, I am not sure.”

Jayce sighed as he put the crude bandage down onto the table. He then replied:

“Is he still over at the docks? I think we should go ask him a few questions about that grave-robbing job.”

Francis shook his head, and replied:

“Nay. That was actually my first stop when I made it back to town. I checked around his usual spot, but he was gone. Inquiring with one of the sailors, Mikhail is on the way to Buccaneer’s Den. Most likely with the month’s haul of fenced goods.”

Jayce nodded and thought for a moment he then replied:

“I don’t think it would be the best idea to head over there and look for him. Definitely would be met with a dagger in our backs… as opposed to an angry lich.”

Francis smirked, and reached into his pocket. He took out the last remaining bits of gems and jewelry from the heist a few weeks ago, and dropped them on the table in front of Jayce.

“Take these. It’s the last of them that I saved… for a rainy day perhaps. Truly, I am sorry for involving you in something that I obviously did not expect to turn out this way.”

Jayce smiled as he scooped the valuables into his hand, and put them into his pocket. His eyes then scanned the table, looking for a beverage. Francis smiled as he pointed at the shards of broken glass, and the red stain on the wall from the bottle Jayce had previously broken. Jayce looked for a moment, and began to chuckle.

“Sorry about that Francis. I suppose I could get us some more…” said Jayce as he patted his pocket.

“Don’t bother. We have much more important things to worry about. We need to go into hiding now, at least until we have the opportunity to confront Mikhail. Jayce, head for Skara Brae. Take the long way, the Northern road through Yew. Much less chance of running into someone that may be looking for you… or us.”

“What am I to do when I get there Francis?” inquired Jayce.

“Wait for word from me, and keep a low profile. Those gems should be able to keep you fed for a couple of weeks, at least. You should hear from me before then. If all else fails, take up fishing.” Replied Francis.

Jayce chuckled as he nodded his head. The two stood up and made their way back upstairs. As they left the fur trader, they nodded to each other, not knowing what to expect next…