• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Am I crazy?

MemnochSP

Visitor
So I've been lurking this forum recently... And while I quit UO (and Siege) about 10+ years ago (I think I quit roughly after the game had just decided to destroy Mag and well before any imbuing or anything)

I am, for the first time ever, having serious thoughts about what it would be like to come back. I wouldn't have my old toons (accounts were always shared with my father who plays prodo, still, to, THIS day... and so I'd just log on, loot the accounts, and make my own account)

Is there any life on the server? Are there any guilds that can field more than 5 online at a time to achieve things? Am I just yearning for a game that doesn't exist?

For those that don't remember me I was Memnoch[REV] // Whispers [REV]

Played a lot with the REV guys, against WAKA, VMP, etc etc etc..

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mem it's crunch from VmP. If you want a real UO experience again icq me. 225199884. There's still very much life to the game and you could join us if you'd like.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say there is life here just not abundance of it. It may be the times I'm on to. Only time I've ran into players was at the Dev Meet and Greet. Other than general chat you can go days without seeing another player. This is about true for most shards.

I'd recommend making a free 14 day account. Play around and see if you still have the itch for UO.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Who you going to call!!

1. PvM action

Gilfane is a very active guild. Maybe take a look at your forums. www.gilfane.com
2. PvP action

Mem it's crunch from VmP. If you want a real UO experience again icq me. 225199884. There's still very much life to the game and you could join us if you'd like.
Welcome back to UO.

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mem you will find what your looking for on Siege. The question I would have for you is what type of play style are you looking at playing? Depending on if you want to go the PK'r/RED route or Blue we (the forums) can point you in the right direction.

And to answer your question on the title. Yes you're crazy. Just as crazy as everyone else still playing UO.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My thoughts:

Siege doesn't have a lot of the pixel shiny that Atlantic does. But it it's the only shard that even gets close to that old UO feel for me. When I solo a monster like Griz here, it feels like a legitimate accomplishment. When I put together that final piece of a luck suit that took over a year to develop, I still get stoked on Siege.

There are things about the game that can be super infuriating, but if you want an oldschool feel, this is the best shard for it. As for folks to play with:

GIL = large group, lots of resources, heavy PvM slant. Has some really great folks. Also has a few dickheads. Nature of having one of biggest member list. At times accused of unduly exerting influence on the shard, but also responsible for a lot of Siege goodness. Love em or hate em, you are going to interact with these folks.

L*H = Ally of GIL, kinda "good guys". I only know Susie, but she is awesome enough to warrant a high regard for the group. Again, almost totally PvM I think.

HI5 = Relatively recent addition, strengthened by several Siege vets from other guilds. Will PvM if necessary, but seem to prefer PvP far more. If you want to kill folks, and get better at it, this is a good start. Be advised, membership here automatically excludes you from GIL services.

B^A = On a lull atm, smaller group but has some really great folks like Talia. About an even PvM / PvP mix.

Vice Alliance = includes a bunch of small personal guilds like IPKU, you could always start your own guild and ally with these folks. Very active PvM but a few good PvP folks are members as well.

TDO = not sure who is left here, some recent drama, probably Mish and a few others still around. Lot of VvV here if they are still doing that (I think it has died at the moment). Very limited PvM.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I should have mentioned most folks are silent solo players here or only loosely affiliated with one of the above. Perfectly legit playstyle here as well.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The honest truth is, if you're looking for that old school feel that you're reminiscing about...this is not the place. As unfortunate as it sounds, it's just not here. These guys will say there's life, but it's not what you, or I, are used to playing. I don't even bother hopping on my PK'er due to the large land mass and never being able to find anyone.

It's basically become a big carebear fest.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Freelsy isn't wrong to an extent, but my argument was it is the closest you'll get among available shards. Because you can lose stuff here, 99% of the activity is hidden from non guild members or non allies. All that crazy stuff that pops up in the GIL auction (like this months banners) doesn't just fall out of the sky. It takes people playing (or in the case of some items, lots of people), to get those items. So people get down because they don't see hugely obvious activity, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
TDO = not sure who is left here, some recent drama, probably Mish and a few others still around. Lot of VvV here if they are still doing that (I think it has died at the moment). Very limited PvM.
We are still here, we lost a few new members, who could not handle TDO being neutral with friends in both GIL and HI-5. We are still around 10 active players :) We are not so good at group actions but we try to some PvM if enough on.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts:

Siege doesn't have a lot of the pixel shiny that Atlantic does. But it it's the only shard that even gets close to that old UO feel for me. When I solo a monster like Griz here, it feels like a legitimate accomplishment. When I put together that final piece of a luck suit that took over a year to develop, I still get stoked on Siege.

There are things about the game that can be super infuriating, but if you want an oldschool feel, this is the best shard for it. As for folks to play with:

GIL = large group, lots of resources, heavy PvM slant. Has some really great folks. Also has a few dickheads. Nature of having one of biggest member list. At times accused of unduly exerting influence on the shard, but also responsible for a lot of Siege goodness. Love em or hate em, you are going to interact with these folks.

L*H = Ally of GIL, kinda "good guys". I only know Susie, but she is awesome enough to warrant a high regard for the group. Again, almost totally PvM I think.

HI5 = Relatively recent addition, strengthened by several Siege vets from other guilds. Will PvM if necessary, but seem to prefer PvP far more. If you want to kill folks, and get better at it, this is a good start. Be advised, membership here automatically excludes you from GIL services.

B^A = On a lull atm, smaller group but has some really great folks like Talia. About an even PvM / PvP mix.

Vice Alliance = includes a bunch of small personal guilds like IPKU, you could always start your own guild and ally with these folks. Very active PvM but a few good PvP folks are members as well.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I should have mentioned most folks are silent solo players here or only loosely affiliated with one of the above. Perfectly legit playstyle here as well.
LH: I think, you mean Sarah. Susie is in GIL.

VICE-Alliance: Mr Sinister is the most active PvM-leader here, almost daily hunts. He is on vacation for 2 weeks. Also 2 public PvM-hunts each month led by me.

GIL: Best advice for the classic Virtue- PvMer who prefers social interaction, rich guildlife and lots of events.

Last edited:

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I was writing about GIL and Susie was one of the good folks when I made my list, when I got to Sarah I remembered she was in a different guild and started her section but transposed Susie in the description. My bad!

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you a Treasury Agent or FBI agent yet, Mems. You were studying law enforcement back in the day. ;)

Hopefully the posts above have drawn your attention to my advice via PM. :)

MemnochSP

Visitor
Are you a Treasury Agent or FBI agent yet, Mems. You were studying law enforcement back in the day. ;)

Hopefully the posts above have drawn your attention to my advice via PM. :)
Saw your PM, starting over again is just sooo o.0..

And no, I applied for the FBI/CIA but never heard back, wasn't crazy about the CIA anyway though since I would have had to move to D.C.

Just a lawyer for now.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One doesn't "apply" for the CIA. You have to be in the loop or on a list.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you want to PvM you can find something to do. Obviously. Hehe. PvP action is extremely limited... non-existent on some days. There are whole groups of days where all of the Lost Lands spawns (and Despise) go without being popped. But, if you are part of a group you can always make something happen. Get a person or two and go do some VvV while announcing your presence in general chat. Someone may show.

If you're going to try to come back, get with a group. The guilds here like to keep things to themselves. I run solo; if it weren't for gen chat there would be days where I'm certain I'm the only one logged in. If for some asinine reason you want to run a thief, let me know. :D

Garth: Career Opportunities — Central Intelligence Agency *shrugs*

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Memnoch!
Long time no see, said the blind man.

Let's see if I've got this right:
We all voluntarily spend our spare time fighting virtual monsters, sharing/trading/stealing/looting virtual things, and getting rather severely worked up by actions of other folks in an equally virtual world... and you want US to judge your sanity?
Well, if you're really, really sure...

My last few years have consisted of "keep the accounts active and occasionally lurk" a lot. I've joined in one, maybe two hunts a year.
But, over the last couple of months, I've found myself in-game again.
I'm currently sitting at work, wishing I was back home, exploring all the things I've missed out on over the last few years.
I've even found myself starting to write again - and I've had severe writer's block for a while. After I've been in-game, I generally feel happier.
I still die a lot. I would probably die a lot if I was a GM, with a dev following me around as my own personal healer.
But, after being away for so long, there's a lot of new things to explore, a lot of things to learn, and a lot to do - solo or in a group.

Personally, I'd say you're crazy to stay away. I think I was crazy to stay away as long as I did - but sometimes we need a break. If your break is over, welcome back!

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Here to if you ask a question in general chat you will get an answer (comma say what you want to say hit enter). There is also guild chat (\) and alliance chat (\shift key). That is if you use the classic client. Ive been on other shards and its hard to get an answer from anyone even they are chatting away in the gen chat.

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Memnoch!
Long time no see, said the blind man.

Let's see if I've got this right:
We all voluntarily spend our spare time fighting virtual monsters, sharing/trading/stealing/looting virtual things, and getting rather severely worked up by actions of other folks in an equally virtual world... and you want US to judge your sanity?
Well, if you're really, really sure...

My last few years have consisted of "keep the accounts active and occasionally lurk" a lot. I've joined in one, maybe two hunts a year.
But, over the last couple of months, I've found myself in-game again.
I'm currently sitting at work, wishing I was back home, exploring all the things I've missed out on over the last few years.
I've even found myself starting to write again - and I've had severe writer's block for a while. After I've been in-game, I generally feel happier.
I still die a lot. I would probably die a lot if I was a GM, with a dev following me around as my own personal healer.
But, after being away for so long, there's a lot of new things to explore, a lot of things to learn, and a lot to do - solo or in a group.

Personally, I'd say you're crazy to stay away. I think I was crazy to stay away as long as I did - but sometimes we need a break. If your break is over, welcome back!
I think what he is looking for is pvp action, and if that is what he wants, sadly...he will no longer find that dopamine/adrenaline rush on SP . I feel I know how old pvper's feel on this topic. You want to find good,intense pvp more than once or twice a week. I remember the days long before "the yard" I remember UDL/Glowembers/Jerry Springer/Man O'War/Hel/KGB /Darkmane/Meshach/Akasha/Dyanmite Boy/Faithless/The Syndicate days and much further back..that Those were the days when 90% of the population pvped and the only Good guys seemed to be DTA and CWS, then we were flooded by the "feel Good people" and a mass exodus of pvpers left..I loved SP but what Memmers is looking for will not be found on SP, but who knows maybe he is looking to pvm and craft these days.actually it is much easier to remember those that did not pvp and just talked **** on forums...But who knows he could have a crafter lurking in his heart.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
problem today is that you need to farm and craft in order to pvp. long gone are the days where you could buy a suit of armor and a weapon for rather cheap and start pvping.
imbuing has helped with that aspect and has made it possible to build reasonably cheap suits with a reasonable ammount of time involved for farming and crafting. Anything high end however requires you to run BODs, farm highend monsters and spend enormous ammounts of time to build one suit.

However there have been guilds who successfully pvped using highend equipment and caster templates (mystic mages; still the best for team pvp and high burst damage). Problem with most of these folks was their use of illegal programs. All of these groups left Siege again after a couple of weeks because they found that everyone avoided them (which is rather easy in today's Siege Perilous).

I always wondered if those groups would actually enjoy fighting each other instead of the much weaker groups who don't run highend equipment and refuse to use illegal means to win.

Somehow these people seem to avoid fighting each other though. In some cases they joined forces, in other cases one side decided to not accept the challenge (or was busy with other shards). Hi-5 fought Diablo and TRU for some days which pretty quickly lead to the latter disappearing. I wonder why Arnold and Virem never showed up to fight Hi-5 since they always complained about the lack of challenge that Siege folks presented to them. Could have meant a lot more action...

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
problem today is that you need to farm and craft in order to pvp. long gone are the days where you could buy a suit of armor and a weapon for rather cheap and start pvping.
imbuing has helped with that aspect and has made it possible to build reasonably cheap suits with a reasonable ammount of time involved for farming and crafting. Anything high end however requires you to run BODs, farm highend monsters and spend enormous ammounts of time to build one suit.

However there have been guilds who successfully pvped using highend equipment and caster templates (mystic mages; still the best for team pvp and high burst damage). Problem with most of these folks was their use of illegal programs. All of these groups left Siege again after a couple of weeks because they found that everyone avoided them (which is rather easy in today's Siege Perilous).

I always wondered if those groups would actually enjoy fighting each other instead of the much weaker groups who don't run highend equipment and refuse to use illegal means to win.

Somehow these people seem to avoid fighting each other though. In some cases they joined forces, in other cases one side decided to not accept the challenge (or was busy with other shards). Hi-5 fought Diablo and TRU for some days which pretty quickly lead to the latter disappearing. I wonder why Arnold and Virem never showed up to fight Hi-5 since they always complained about the lack of challenge that Siege folks presented to them. Could have meant a lot more action...
Wow, this is sad news that one must farm on SP in order to pvp...sad news indeed, I Guess I will stick to that forever place and not worry about the whole need to farm to compete.

BTW, I also remember all of the blackoaks too

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, your crazy u always was!

Stopped by to see if anything good, like if PKing a thing again...Does not sound like it is I'm not seeing the bitchin and crying like in the old days LOL, makes me sad:( Anyways, Hi everyone
I see some old school names and figured I'd say hi :heart:
Really miss killing you all ;/

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh there still is crying and drama, just not as much as there used to be.
how many murder counts did you accumulate again? 10k? good to see ya!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Good to see you Krystal. Sure the world have changed a lot.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[QUOTE="

I always wondered if those groups would actually enjoy fighting each other instead of the much weaker groups who don't run highend equipment and refuse to use illegal means to win...[/QUOTE]

They complained that there was no pvp but they all were in the same guild. Maybe they should of invited other pvp guilds to join siege or split up their group.

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the older pvper miss the shear volume of guilds that used to pvp. There was a time when you could easily find 10-15 guilds ranging in size from 3-4 people to 20-30(shadowclan), make rounds, get into fights, and win or lose get back at fairly quickly.
Item based pvp slowly killed pvp as we knew it. I always wished they had left the items mods for pvm and left the pvp alone. Dismount also has been an issue and really changed what uo pvp used to be. Don't even get started on the advent of ninja/stealth pvp..of course combined with dismount ganking. I still hold to this day that this server would fill up with real players and not just house holders if it were a classic uo server like some free shards out there. I enjoy the game for what it is but that pvp game I loved and got an adrenaline kick out of is long gone. Honestly, if you want to pvp, Atlantic is probably the place. I will get roasted but the game we are playing pvp wise was designed to be played with insurance. You can pvp all you like on an insurance shard and only worry about your potions /regs/ etc just like the old days. Hell you don't even have to have regs with how easy it is to get an lrc suit but you can certainly really pimp some suits out if you forgo lrc as well. Obviously the meer thought of insurance probably rankles most anyone reading this and there is a compromise....VVV arties, increased legendary drops, in crease imbuing drops, etc. Make it easier for the crafters/ pvmers to get this crap which makes it easier for them to support a pvp community. As it sits now, it appeared to take most of the community to hook up one high end pvper for 10 deaths. I know how much it takes...I used to do work for myself, a couple guild mates, and a couple "friendly enemies". ALOT of time went into building suits, weapons etc. That's broken imo.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Siege is different than it was. That Siege will never come back.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bah !! Kelmo siege was a place to DIE !! Tis why I first came there cuz trammmmmmmmel sucked and then insurance ! Before all the i was in Order and factions too on chessie! Then it all became carebearlands ! Bah !!! :) waves to memmers yes yu were always nuts dont change too much ! And to vile Krystal whom til we got allied meh. . yu exterminated my Miranda ! :) Then I upset some pks cuz instead of frustration at being pkd and looted and dying I just turned me into my comic dead dancing ghostie !! Lol

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* Those are wonderful memories.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep I will always keep those memories fondly especially all my years on Siege....Perilous ! Oh and Aeric Horn went after Krystal. to kill her for going after me !! Lol it felt weird being allied Guardians of Myth to TNT ..thus Krystal too in that big alliance I kept saying this sooo wrong kystal is supposed to kill me !!! Lol But yeh I still pop in on this forum too see what's going on in UO on Siege ! I did look for Return to Britannia Uo, last fall but nope didn't see it !

Last edited: