• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Alrighty, How do I Run UO on an Apple

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
R

RavenWinterHawk

I know the game doesnt come with a compatiable version.

The must be a way.

Please enlighten me.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have a newer apple with an intel processor?

I personally do not deal with Apple computers, but I know that with parallels you can run windows xp inside the mac and run UO that way. However to my knowledge that only works with mac computers running intel processors.

R

Rykus

I am not a Mac guy either, but IanJames posted this in the "Post your rig" thread:

IanJames said:
Computer 2:
MacBook Pro v3,1 Santa Rosa
2GB Ram
Runs KR and 2d through wine, also Dual boots to Ubuntu JJ
MacOS 10.5
I would be interested to see how he would suggest this be done. I too would suggest Parallels from my limited knowledge of Macs, but I suspect WINE would perform a bit better in this case.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Its a brand new IMAC off the shelf.
I still have my standard comp.

Got this new one for pictures and writing but liked to have uo on it.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I am not a Mac guy either, but IanJames posted this in the "Post your rig" thread:

I would be interested to see how he would suggest this be done. I too would suggest Parallels from my limited knowledge of Macs, but I suspect WINE would perform a bit better in this case.
Thanks to both
But what what is WINE? and how do i find it?

R

Rykus

*edit* - Now that I'm home, and can do a proper search, here ya go..

WINE is a self-recursive acronym for "Wine Is Not and Emulator". It is a set of applications, and libraries that allow the execution of Windows applications on non-Windows platforms. Here are some useful links:

FAQ about WINE
http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths

A very nice walk-through on how to Install WINE on Mac OSX
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

WINE for Linux, just in case. Also the main WINE site.
http://www.winehq.org/

HTH

G

gjohnson5

Wine is pretty nice.
It can basically emulate Windows XP.
It creates a chroot type enviornment with a Windows style filesystem and you install programs by running the wine executable on top of the windows program in Unix or MAC OS (which is based of FreeBSD)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your'e mac is intel based (most recent versions are). Give virtualbox a try (they added 3D support in version 2.1).
It can be found at virtualbox.org and is free for personal use.
The only downside is that you must have a license to winXP or vista or whatever windows os you prefer.

If it works it should be alot easiere than wine. I mostly use virtualbox on my mac for testing server configurations, and stuff like that...Never really had the need to play uo on my mac book pro :) but i can say it works like a charm for that.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're not really a techie and just want to run your game, I can vouch for Crossover Games. This is a user friendly version of WINE that will install and run UO2d and UOKR... In fact, I found they ran better in this than booting into windows on my mac. Running via VMWare/Parallels is ok, but it's not great, it can tend to be a little slow.

I highly recommend Crossover Games it's easy to use and configure especially if you don't want to have to purchase a windows license. They have a free 7day trial that's fully functional. Give it a go.

There are some issues with getting SA to run the installer through WINE/Crossover. One person has reported that copying the files worked for him, but it did not work for me.

If you like screwing around with your computer, then go here and follow the instructions: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can vouch for Wine. I had been running UO via Parallels until recently, and it's not ideal since Parallels is a massive resource hog (RAM in particular).

Wine runs it very nicely.

Has anyone managed to get UOAssist running in Wine also?

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just reading about this the other day.

To get UOA to work via Wine, you need to install IE in Wine, then UOA will work. I guess it uses some libraries or something that IE installs.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Interested to hear if UOAssist works using CrossOver.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all these programs will work, however forget using your rightclick withou having to hold the alt key.
my suggestion and what i did, since you have a newer mac.

run windows as a partition with bootcamp, this program should already be installed on your computer.
its also nice because you can run 2 different OS's on 1 comp.
it also more stable to run the game this way

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Yars said. I have played UO 2D and EC exclusively on my macbook pro since a year now by using bootcamp configured with windows 7. Windows 7 runs phenomenally well on the macbook pro since bootcamp 3.1 drivers were released. UO runs without any glitches. I use a external USB mouse so I regain the normal mouse button function.

Wine works, tried that, gave me headaches configuring though. parallels used to be too slow... I have a question about parallels 5. New release, apparently with much improved gaming properties. Can someone tell me here if indeed parallels 5 and EC are fully functional together?