• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Allow Magic resist on pets to work like it does on human...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By that I mean, the pet gains minimum resists from increasing thier skill in magic resist.

IF...only if the pet has less than 250 total resists.

Why? Diversity. None of the uber pets, even ones with max resists below forty would be effected by this. The most powerful pet that would be effected by this change would be the never used drake.

A change like this could allow people to run a pack of wolves, or bears, that actually have a chance to take a hit or two.

I would be fine if it was even 30 rather than 40 bonus at gm. SOMETHING anyway.

Thoughts?

R

Ravahan

provided that it does indeed not boost the higher end tamabes, which I don't have the inclination to check just now, I'm all for it. My tamer buddies think I'm whacky for not even wanting a greater for my tamer and "wasting" my time training a very nice dragon I found in destard last week.

Now, while dragons wouldn't be boosted by this, I state it to demonstrate that currently a lot of tamers think anything but a trained GD is gimpy. Its not. I'd very much like to be able to take out a pair of firesteeds (pack instincts) or even some of those old frenzied ostards lol.... would make my tamer a lot less boring to have more variety, for sure.

/sign

O

Old Man of UO

Now, while dragons wouldn't be boosted by this, I state it to demonstrate that currently a lot of tamers think anything but a trained GD is gimpy. Its not. ...
/sign
Greaters aren't even the best pet choice in many cases... it's their tanking ability that most people see and want.

I remember seeing packs of frost spiders and hellhounds... it would be nice to make them viable once again. Viable, not over powered.

R

RichDC

Could be interesting to see my chicken running around with 45 in all resists, he mite be able to take more than an ogre!

I would actually vote for this, it wouldnt really affect high end tamables (except hiryus cold resist from 25-45) and could make lower end pack pets more interesting.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
imagine all the spawn and paragons over 100 magic resist

R

RichDC

If there spawning at over 150magic resist then they may become even harder (good thing, the games got too namby pamby anyways) otherwise in humans 120resist equates to 45 resist so its not that big of a deal.

S

Stupid Miner

Sounds like a good idea... my hell hounds could use some love.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ummmmm no super horses thank you. we really dont need horses that can take tons of dmg.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Omnius, what makes a character with that resist ability different from anything else? Heck, if you just had all the creatures below a certain level start at 0 resist skill (if they didn't already), it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cosign!

My guild shares a whole slew of tamers that focus on little used pets. We pretty much have one tamer for each tamable. It would be even more fun to play them if the weaker pets are given this opportunity to improve their survivability.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heck, if you just had all the creatures below a certain level start at 0 resist skill (if they didn't already), it wouldn't be that much of an issue.
I was even thinking that the resist change wouldn't happen until tamed even. But again, its hardly an issue.

Oh no that bear has 10 fire resist rather than 0! The world will be over run by uber bears!!!!!! :D

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In pvp, it is already annoying to kill off faction horses with gm resist. we don't need them able to absorb more damage. resist is great on creatures already, no more bonsuses where they aren't desperately needed, thank you.

K

Kiminality

I like the idea.
Although, I'll admit I haven't done any maths on it, but it would probably make packs a problem in PvP.
No numbers to go on, but I sometimes hear people saying a pack of 5 is effective for PvP. Making them harder to kill would only strengthen them.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah it might be. But the way I look at it, right now damage wise, Im thinking a pack of frenzies is CURRENTLY more dangerous offensivly than pretty much anything, but the reason people dont use them, is that you have to run, and its a pain in the ass to control 5 pets at once.

I honestly thought the bonus for pack instinct was a little high.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In pvp, it is already annoying to kill off faction horses with gm resist. we don't need them able to absorb more damage. resist is great on creatures already, no more bonsuses where they aren't desperately needed, thank you.
War horses already have a stat max at 40. That means the difference would most likely be something like 3-5 points of resist.

The difference between 35 resist and 40 is pretty much unobservable.

And again, I said I would be find with making the bonus 30 rather than 40, which would probably not effect war horses at ALL.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could be interesting to see my chicken running around with 45 in all resists, he mite be able to take more than an ogre!

I would actually vote for this, it wouldnt really affect high end tamables (except hiryus cold resist from 25-45) and could make lower end pack pets more interesting.
Neither Hiryus and cu's which both can potentially have under 40 in a ressit wouldnt be effected, because they have >250 resists on average.

G

Green Meanie

I also like this idea. For the poster that thinks it will make war horses Unkill able at best it will add 10 to each non phy resist if they spawn at min. Personaly i have a horse with 49 phy and all 40s.

As far as packs in pvp you can still kill an ozy wiht 40 cold resists in 2 withers 3 tops. And it already takes at least 2. Same could be said for any pet

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
imagine all the spawn and paragons over 100 magic resist
I believe you are a bit confused on what I think the original poster intended. What they are saying is that pets should gain the default resists that you get from the resisting spells skill. An example would be a player character at 120 resisting spells would have 44 in each resist without armor on. Therefore, they are stating that pets should get this default resist as well if they have the corresponding resisting spells. This also means that pets like greater dragons that are really the only pets that have "legendary" resist would be the only pets that can get the 44 in each resist (which isn't really that high). Most pets that would benefit from this (pack instinct animals) would only attain 40 in each resist which is much better than the 14s and 20s that they currently have.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also like this idea. For the poster that thinks it will make war horses Unkill able at best it will add 10 to each non phy resist if they spawn at min. Personaly i have a horse with 49 phy and all 40s.

As far as packs in pvp you can still kill an ozy wiht 40 cold resists in 2 withers 3 tops. And it already takes at least 2. Same could be said for any pet
Yeah, probably true on the pack animals. Add to it the fact that the max wrestling they can have is 100, and no hci, people wont get hit by them like they used to.

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and BTW, this idea rocks. I used to wonder why resisting spells didn't effect the creatures resists. I never began posting discussion on here until recently though. Just wish my idea on being able to recall and gate into castle courtyards would be heard by an upper echelon.