• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) All of Europa: New and Returning Player Assistance

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello Europeans. I am the player of Han Telemnar of ELV. I am pleased to inform the shard the guild, ELV, has committed some resources to aiding new and returning players. I will be acting as guild counselor to handle and oversee this division of ELV.

Our goal is not to simply provide gold/items (although we will have a designated stash), but aid these folks to a promising start. UO has evolved and can be a bit overwhelming for returning players. As for new players, assisting with simple questions and acting as a guide will greatly assist them into the Europa community. This is our overall goal: to strengthen the shard community and provide a guide beyond New Heaven. In addition, we want to start collecting information on recruiting guilds to better assist these players in finding the right home for them. This includes pvp, champ, and role playing guilds.

ELV is starting to stockpile key resources to ensure to fuel our efforts. However, we cannot be fully successful with this with out the support of you. If you would like to help, donate or want your guild top be among the recruiting, please feel free to contact me through ICQ (74431689), or pm. I will make sure your efforts are well used. Also, if you see a new or returning player, please feel free to provide my ICQ, or have them get in touch with a member of ELV and search me out.

Thanks to everyone for their support!!!!

-Mac :pint:

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something Europa has needed fora few years now. And all of a sudden we have two such places. Lets hope we get lots of new players then!
I have worked om my place for months now and its up and running. Its assosiated to RAA guild.

Now the thing most needed on Europa is a guild for new people. The returners use to find guilds easily but for the completely new players its hard to find a guild and mates to train and adventure with.

If you want to see what I am up to, its the house just south of Trinsic moongate, welcome!

P

P.W.N

Hello Europeans. I am the player of Han Telemnar of ELV. I am pleased to inform the shard the guild, ELV, has committed some resources to aiding new and returning players. I will be acting as guild counselor to handle and oversee this division of ELV.

Our goal is not to simply provide gold/items (although we will have a designated stash), but aid these folks to a promising start. UO has evolved and can be a bit overwhelming for returning players. As for new players, assisting with simple questions and acting as a guide will greatly assist them into the Europa community. This is our overall goal: to strengthen the shard community and provide a guide beyond New Heaven. In addition, we want to start collecting information on recruiting guilds to better assist these players in finding the right home for them. This includes pvp, champ, and role playing guilds.

ELV is starting to stockpile key resources to ensure to fuel our efforts. However, we cannot be fully successful with this with out the support of you. If you would like to help, donate or want your guild top be among the recruiting, please feel free to contact me through ICQ (74431689), or pm. I will make sure your efforts are well used. Also, if you see a new or returning player, please feel free to provide my ICQ, or have them get in touch with a member of ELV and search me out.

Thanks to everyone for their support!!!!

-Mac :pint:[/QUOTE

Hi mate,did you consider making a sister guild for seasoned players of elv and putting it into factions? i will gladly help imbue suits or help with training etc

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something Europa has needed fora few years now. And all of a sudden we have two such places. Lets hope we get lots of new players then!
I have worked om my place for months now and its up and running. Its assosiated to RAA guild.

Now the thing most needed on Europa is a guild for new people. The returners use to find guilds easily but for the completely new players its hard to find a guild and mates to train and adventure with.

If you want to see what I am up to, its the house just south of Trinsic moongate, welcome!
As someone who uses new haven and not luna for banking or hanging around, i see quite a good amount of new players every day. You can either tell so by tag or looking at equipment.

What would happen if we would create a [NEW] guild here on europa and trying to guild every new and returning player into it. Doing community hunts and exploring, giving the new players someone to play with and an actual market for their wares. Also someone to ask for advice. And help solving the problem with different languages and play times.

But that would only work with a concentrated and serious effort , nothing a single person could do. I know there is a good amount of decent people on europa that are willing to help new players, maybe its possible to get them together. Its not about giving newbies gold or items, but showing them what the game has to offer.

Just asking for opinions here. I wish minerva and elv good luck with their efforts. But i still think creating a neutral guild for new players would give best results, there are people around that dont like to see [ELV] guild tag.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are right about its too much for one person. One person can equip (deacent, not top gear but good enough for the first months) and give advice. But the average new player dont want to spend alot of time listening , they want to get going. Therefore this time I filled my house at Trinsic moongate with books about the basics, they can go back and read and often find me there ..

When we had Paidric and his little HLP guild a few years back with ppl donating armour pieces etc and Saor guild recruiting almost all new players things worked out fine. It was the best with being a HLP worker- to have that guild we could direct them to.

Other people have opened guilds for new players in the past , but its alot of work, and they often made guild uniforms and put lots of work and gold in equipping the youngs. In fact, the leaders got stuck at the forge and training and hunting suffered.

Theese young players often change skills and even chars and get new friends and join their guilds etc.. What I have seen during my years in Haven is discouraged burnt out leaders that wanted to train and show the fun side of Britannia but got stuck making equipment. And the youngs soon thinking its ambarrassing to wear newbe guild suit and tag..

Saor had a sound way to look at it I must say. They knew and accepted they were a "transit guild" and made a great job as that. I sooo wish we had some patient player(s) that took ower this job and didnt take it as a failure if new people left after a while. Focusing on training and adventuring and telling the new members they dont need every fancy item in the game the first month or even year. Cooperating with the people that are into equiping the new guys . This could work so fine but takes alot of time.:scholar:

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basically had the same experience you describe. Im always willing to help out new players if they actually ask, but it takes time and it hurts seeing them loosing stuff because of not enough insurance money. Common newbie mistake.
Doesnt help here that i have my crafting skills spread over 3 chars just to have playable characters and not a mule.
Idea is, that the newbie crafters could help out their mates.

Problem is, a lot of the newbies seem to think items and gold are needed to have any success in game. Its true for wow, but not for uo. In uo you can get away with just trying to play clever. Before SA came out , you had nearly no chance at making gold on your own. Now we have so many different ways to do things, its just neccesary to educate people a bit.

The siege people are handling this problem very well, i did my first harrower there on a less than 2 week old char that didnt have a single gm skill. I dont see why europa couldnt do the same.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I so wish I had more time to play :(

At the moment, my rl business is on the point of taking off. So whilst, technically, I should have more time to play in the winter, it's looking more like I won't have. Our alliance is big enough to absorb and help new players, it's getting over the hurdle of kit - the only one with the patience to write the books, equip and explain things seems to be me.

I will see what I can work out UO wise. I desperately miss my guildies and alliance guildies, and I want to be able to play more again.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all for your input. I completely agree, a (New) guild would work fantastically on Europa as it has on Siege. If anyone is willing to take this challenge up let me know and I will provide my assistance.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi mate,did you consider making a sister guild for seasoned players of elv and putting it into factions? i will gladly help imbue suits or help with training etc
This is a fantastic idea. In fact, there are a few ELV members currently looking into the process of pvp tactics, teamwork, etc. It is not my place to decide upon sister guilds with ELV. However, I will be sure to discuss this with those that are.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have worked om my place for months now and its up and running. Its assosiated to RAA guild.!
I am glad to hear you have already done this. Perhaps you are willing to work with me to create a NEW guild, or something along this idea.

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You are right about its too much for one person. One person can equip (deacent, not top gear but good enough for the first months) and give advice. But the average new player dont want to spend alot of time listening , they want to get going. Therefore this time I filled my house at Trinsic moongate with books about the basics, they can go back and read and often find me there ..
:scholar:
This place is amazing. I never knew such a place existed on Europa. You have obviously put in a LOT of hard work. I will definitely bring many new players here. I recommend all veteran players check our this house directly SE of the Trinsic Moongate. Maybe mark a rune and keep it handy for when you run into a player needing advice. There is an extensive library with tons of information, and very well organized. Awesome place!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Ivor for the kind words. Yes I resigned as shop manager at RAA to have time to work on this. It took me a couple of months to recostumice and write and collect books.. alot of time was spended on research as I have not been new for a very long time. Wish I could help more with tecnical stuff and enhanced client, but im worse than a new player with this.
I really tried to keep it basic and a very simple language as most of us are not English speaking by nature. If this gets popular my dream is to have the books in some more languages, like Russian and Spanish..

You suggestion to help get the newcomers ower to my place is wonderful. Todays new ones comes from other games and are often very cautious and thinking other players wants to scam or harrass them when we aproach them or put books on the ground telling them where to go. To actually get them to my house the first time is the difficult part!

M

Maestro_Sartori

If u like and i got the time i could translate/write some of your books into german, i know there r not that many germans playing on Europe but every bit helps imo, beeing german myself i hate it to play on a "pure" german servers (no offense to the ppl oN Drachenfels, just personal preference!) as long its possible for me to play on an english server, just to keep my english improving.

Im rather new myself in UO (6 weeks or so) but i would gladly help out on this project, i also can help/support you on crafting some basic newbie gear like 100% LRC suits and such :)

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

I have a three days old account on Europa. (I played 10 days on Drachenfelse with trial account, but decided to make regular acc on Europa because Drachefelse is so desert - you can play few days and don't meet any other player.)
My main problem is to find a proper vendor with items I need. In Luna most of vendors are empty or selling stuff I even don't know what for it is needed (like deco, golden skulls and blessed cloaks). So I run around for hours looking for stuff I need:

1. Resources
Repair deeds
Recall scrolls
Potions (Greater Heal and etc)
Arrows/bolts
Runes and runebooks

2. Basic armor/weapon
Exceptional crufted armor/weapon (may be imbued with some cheap but useful mods)
Low-level artifacts (including quivers)
Cheap slayer weapons
May be crufted rings/bracelets but I don't sure how much the cheapest one costs.

I have seen leather armor imbued with low reagents cost but never needn't it for my archer/swordsman. Right now I'm using armor pieces crufted from horned leather. I collected a set with self repair which gives me almost all 70% resistances.
On Drachenfelse I have seen crufted imbued slayer bows with several good mods just for 45k. On Europa I use SSI 30/DI 40 sword and SSI 30/DI 50/HL 40 bow (I have bought it for 10k). I like my bow but I would prefer something with slayer.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there Corvin, Welcome to UO and Europa! Have you looked at my place? New Player House south of Trinsic moongate. Most what you ask for is there and if you catch me there or ask in help chat lots of it are free. There is also lots of basic info in books spread all ower the bottom floor.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maestro Sartori, thanks for your offer. The thing is, its atleast going to be 50 books and I dont know how many languages I can place there.. It has to be the ones where communication fails most, even if im sure many would ne happy to see their own language there. I have been equipping new players for many years and the only ones I had problems with more often than not, were the Russian and Spanish players. Some of them speak better English than me but often the only thing to do is putting a bag on the ground with armour and say "Free" Having a recruiting book for guilds that could help out their counrty men would be a great help, maybe some day it will happen =)

M

Maestro_Sartori

oi didn't think that its that many books and understand that u can't make them for every language, to bad i dont speek spanish or rusian so i can't help you out on this, if you are accepting donations for your Vendors just tell me where i can drop it off :)

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Sartori for your willingness to help. I get some donations from people that used to donate to our HLP guild in the past, and I still have donations left from that time. But sure, if you want to donate something like LRC I can always use... There is a mailbox at the house.. I never sell donations on my vendors. But I have free sets of armour for many sorts of chacthers in the armoires infront of the vendors to hand out to the ones who need. Many of thoose sets have donated pieces in them that are superior to the ones I sell. I have combined the sets by wearing every armour and they are not imbued, just the jewels sometimes, as many new players rush off and forget about repairs unfortunately.

However, the best help I and the new players can get is if you show them to the New Player House . If you use the moongate they will know how to come back when they have time to read the books!

K

Kayne

As Minerva said Saor used to be fantastic at this and a great number of players decided to make it their home.
I myself had a guild back in the day and would have taken on new players as well as vets but I sadly had to give that up and hold it in name only now. It was Cailleach and Saor that then kept me in game for much longer than I would have stayed had they not been around.

If the game could once again hold my attention I would be more than happy to put my guild leader hat back on and revive the guild and help out.
But I'm afraid the thing that killed UO for me was losing a whole group of friends virtually all at once because they got disillusioned with the game and the game was never quite the same after that.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kayne, maybe this is your mission this time? With experience of the game and yet not involved in too much other things..hmm..If you go for it I sure would help you out anyway I can!:thumbup:

K

Kayne

If I can get my sub sorted out again since its been screwed up after the account migration and they are applying tax to my payment which they shouldnt be. Then I'll see if I can sort some things out to start playing again.

It'll be good to have a reason to play the only MMO that I keep coming back to

DirectorDoug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my main char, Bene'Dryl, is the last guildmaster of the Tiger Knight Battalion, an original guild on Atlantic when the game first began. We are only two now, and on Europe, but one of our original charter missions was the assistance of those new to the land, and we still endeavor to assist them when they are found. Feel free to visit Heart Castle a few screens due east of Luna (you cannot miss the red heart on the roof) and speak to any character you find there. I do not often use ICQ anymore, but 6551874 is my number. If you see Bene'Dryl, Dark Dryl, Benzadrine (yes, he is a thief, but still helpful) Uncle Zoloft, or any characters from the Lewis Carroll writings, please stop and chat. We look forward to being of assistance wherever necessary and appropriate!

K

Kayne

Kayne, maybe this is your mission this time? With experience of the game and yet not involved in too much other things..hmm..If you go for it I sure would help you out anyway I can!:thumbup:
I seem to be back in game most days now Min so perhaps I will take on this mission after all. Just wondering how people will take to a light RP guild based around Shaolin Monks

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now this is good news!
About RP im a bit uncertain.. Many new players have RP manners from the beginning and they are very nice to deal with . They dont ask for much and are more social . Others are eager to get going. Many want information and equipment so they can train and adventure in an effective way. Others are so exited and eager to get started they dont realise there are basics they can learn from reading and listening. They will learn things the hard way and after a while come back to find out what they should have done. But they didnt stay close as long as it takes someone to type a short advice about quests or insurance, or time to check they equipped all pieces of the free armour they recieved! Some need extra time as they have difficulties with the language.

I cant say if you should do RP oriented guild but It has been popular in Haven before. What such guilds had probs with , was they spent very much time making guild uniforms with full exeptional armour and formal stuff. And the recruits just wanted company for adventuring .

Lots of new players enjoy making their own look, and feel ambarrassed even, to wear an uniform that shows you are a new player. Put a robe ower the equipment when you are going with the guild is better tbh, and dont spend time on the newest players equipment while the rest are standing around waiting for some adventure!

I dont mean they shall go in npc armour but send them ower to the new Player House for a deacent equipment if I missed them.

Important is that the leader has the understanding about new players that Saor guild showed. They were aware that new players are individuals and as soon as they realise all options in UO and meet players that becomes friends they will move on. Not all but the biggest part will. A new player guild is a transit guild for sure. Its not the leaders fault that people move on, they provided a platform and made it possible for theese players to find out what direction they should take.

I would say any type of guild you are interested in doing would be great help for atleast some group of newcomers. For a long time we had nothing and me and im sure even others will support. This is so important for the shard.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kayne, why don't you use SAOR as a base for helping new ones, as I still do when I have time to play? You've got Emmi status and access to the guild resources and I'm easy enough to get hold of on skype or MSN if you need a little help :)

K

Kayne

Min, I ran the guild successfully for a good while a few years back before Saor even, and had a whole range of players and even the new ones enjoyed themselves and luckily I didn't go down the uniform route so never had that problem. Sadly due to some leaving the game and others moving on as the guild faltered it then closed (although still open on my crafters).

Also very lucky for me is that I then became a member of Saor as well as allied my guild to them. So I continued to be a presence in helping where I could.

I think that what I may do in this instance as my main is a Saor char is help them and offer them a choice, at the end of the day whether they are with Saor or the RP guild they will still be in the alliance. Also I am never going to worry about RP in strict terms

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ivor....

Let me first say that I wish you luck with your "help the newbies" endeavours....

But...

You might want to be careful who you GIVE stuff to, just because they say they are new.

Long before all of this new-fangled "imbuing" nonsense, the HLP guild had smiths and tailors who wandered Haven, giving suits and weapons to new players.
We didn't give away high-end kit, but it was always good, mid-range stuff.

I stopped doing this, because I kept seeing "nowhere near newbie" characters wearing suits I had made, and given to "Hello: I've only been playing for a day, and I don't know what to do" characters.

I don't play anymore; so I am out-of-the-loop when it comes to knowing what todays' versions of bad / mid-range / good kit is, but I guess what I am saying is: "don't be surprised to see the LRC/LMC suit you gave the newbie mage to help him train, being worn by a GM+ mage who is spamming training spells"