• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All are invited: The Catskills Militia - Skirmish Warfare. Sun 2pm EST

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills Militia - Skirmish Warfare (Feb 22nd, 2pm EST)

Every Sunday at 2pm EST, we will organize a battle event for all players. This Sunday, the event will take place on Northern Serpent's Hold Island.

The role playing community invites every citizen of Catskills to participate in our weekly recurring Skirmish Warfare event. The recruits will be separated into two groups which will fight one another at a pre-determined location. The goal of the battle will be annouced short before the event (for example, capture the flag or conquer a territory). A special Catskills Militia guild will allow any player to participate, by temporarily recruiting those who are not member of the role playing community. The rules are simple:

• Our main rule: Wear only items crafted with simple tools. No Artifacts, no runic-crafted items, no jewelry, no talismans. Only use gm-made armor, weapons and shields with no magic mods.
  • As these items can easily be replaced, you don't even need to insure them.
  • Due to fairness and balancing, powerful pets are not allowed (for example, no Greater Dragons, no Rune Beetles, or 5 animals with pack instinct). If you want to bring pets, please get a permit from the event organizers first.
  • As your alignment will be determined by color, your armor has to be dyed in a certain color, or you have to wear a robe of that color.
  • Looting is not allowed.
  • Prior to each battle, a random member of each side will be made General. He has to prepare a strategy and command his troops.
  • It will be determined before each battle, whether or not mounts are allowed.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to say we'd need to make sure people are not going to be jerks and loot but gm armor and weapons will keep that from happening but some thing is bound to go wrong that will make the organizers of this event look closer at the people they put in the temporary guild. It's Murphy's law not mine.

C

Corvak

If you hold an event, no matter what, someone will come along and mess with it. It always happens.

Like pirates shoutin' in your auction hall and pillaging your ale! *looks at Pike*

Next time I'm making you deal with the irate auctioneer!

:)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like pirates shoutin' in your auction hall and pillaging your ale! *looks at Pike*

Next time I'm making you deal with the irate auctioneer!
:)
Actually, I was surprised nobody even tried ta stop us. We literally had ta drag the chest full o' ale to our ship, as that many bottles did nut fit into our backpack.

(By the way, Corvak: Some people invited us to this "party", but we had really no clue about what this event was all about. That's why we finally decided to leave and get drunk! :)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to say we'd need to make sure people are not going to be jerks and loot but gm armor and weapons will keep that from happening but some thing is bound to go wrong that will make the organizers of this event look closer at the people they put in the temporary guild. It's Murphy's law not mine.
The worst thing what could happen is people who start annoying us. And I think, it can easily be countered.
Most "jerks" you can recognize when you see them. The other ones can be removed from the Civil War guild if they misbehave.

We will see how it turns out. I wanted every player to be able to participate in the fun (not just the RP guilds), and I want to give it a try. We still can change that if we see it doesn't work out.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel the event was a total success. First we broke up into two teams, divided by two different color robes.

The teams were selected, and a "captain" was named.

There were two main events. I may have been the first on my team in both cases to die, but I believe I racked up 3 kills. There was no hatred, and to my knowledge no one cheated, and everyone had fun. I learned a lot, and I had a blast. Thank you all who came and Thank you all who participated.

The selected time may be a bit difficult if repeated, but I hope to do this again. :)

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sneaks a picture in when no one is looking:

*whistles innocently as a stealth away again*

C

Corvak

On Catskills, they do it differently. They PvP in Trammel.

At least someone uses those empty towns.... :)

Pike, you're going to put lots of GM smiths and tailors in business if this is a recurring event.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would certainly make my day. It's so hard finding a good non-magical suit these days!

As for the fights, Bob, I think I beat you in the first-dead in the second and third battle.

But they were good fights. It's interesting trying to fight with a bow with no swing speed increase. I'm not sure I want to do that on a regular basis.

J

jelinidas

I must pay more attention to these events. Between this and the naked dungeon crawls, you have peaked my interest!

I cant even complain about the time of this event, I was home!

Thanks Pike and all of the UP. You guys bring alot to the Catskills shard.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Things we learned from this first attempt:
  • We had LOTS of fun (nobody cheated, nobody complained)!
  • We need to put more effort into preparation (prepare armor, weapons and colored robes).
  • It is a lot more fun to fight skill-based, not equipment-based. The most important thing is to time your attack and defense strategies correctly.
  • You cannot organize such an event alone.
By the way, this event was not alone my idea. We thought it out together with the PGoH, and the idea originated from the Europa shard. A few more helpers would be appreciated next time. In the beginning I felt a little lost. Thank God Vic took over the battle management, which was a great help!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvP's not my thing, but I'll gladly offer up the services of my smith and tailor to make weapons and armor for future events if you need a hand.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • We had LOTS of fun (nobody cheated, nobody complained)!
  • We need to put more effort into preparation (prepare armor, weapons and colored robes).
  • It is a lot more fun to fight skill-based, not equipment-based. The most important thing is to time your attack and defense strategies correctly.
  • You cannot organize such an event alone.

WOW well done...seriously... so maybe it is the Em's fault.... maybe Em's bring out all the whinie, sucky, babies on the shard!

The event really sounds great...sorry I missed it!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW well done...seriously... so maybe it is the Em's fault.... maybe Em's bring out all the whinie, sucky, babies on the shard!

I think it has more to do with people knowing that at EM run events unique/special items WILL be handed out, and a lot of people go for nothing more than because they want an item, not because they have any interest in the actual event.

With this event sounds like it was just the opposite. People knew there wasn't going to be any unique items handed out, and just came because they wanted to have a good time.

C

Corvak

Despite all the derogatory carebear comments thrown around by reds, Trammies do not hate PvP. They hate lame scripters. And insurance fees.

Where fel is no holds barred, this sort of organized event, along with the RP community's 'rules of engagement' make it much more enjoyable.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I haven't heard any whining at the EM events.

Well, at least not more than once.

You should see my ignore list now. HUGE!

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should know by now even if you can not see me I may still be there. To many guilds in Fel forget that and oh the stupid things they say in front of me.

D

Dixie

This event sounds similar to the way UO combat used to be set up where template is everything and the only armor you could really have was gm exceptional armor. There was no insurance, and the fights were purely for the thrill of out maneuvering your opponent, running and hiding, or having a supirior set of skills.

This is why, when I want to pvp, I go to a free server that's pre-ren with quick skill gains (so you can focus on game play and not items or monotonous skill gains).

That being said, I like the flavor of this event and plan on going to the next one.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This event sounds similar to the way UO combat used to be set up where template is everything and the only armor you could really have was gm exceptional armor. There was no insurance, and the fights were purely for the thrill of out maneuvering your opponent, running and hiding, or having a supirior set of skills.

This is why, when I want to pvp, I go to a free server that's pre-ren with quick skill gains (so you can focus on game play and not items or monotonous skill gains).

That being said, I like the flavor of this event and plan on going to the next one.
There's a certain kind of freedom to going around without insurance.

In fact, except for a good bow and my conjurer's trinket, I still haven't put my good suit back on. It's so liberating to be able to die repeatedly and not pay out the tail in the process. And then I can simply grab a few arrows or bolts and a new non-runic suit and I'm back to business in no time flat.

And since nobody who kills me actually loots me, I don't even have to grab new gear most of the time.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my favorite online cartoons is called The Noob the artist and writer is a ex UO player, and I thought the latest cartoon is sort of fitting here.