• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Alchemy and enhance potions

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all, I have been playing around on test center and my results have been rather inconclusive thus far. I am making a Alchy/nox mage which will be basicly a pvp character. I read that alchemy grants a 10% EP bonus for every 33 points you have in the skill, and raises the cap to 80, but a few of my guildies disagree.

I have a question, If I have 50% EP jewelry on, plus gm alchemy, is that like the same as having 80 EP? Like i already mentioned my tests were rather inconclusive, explosion potions were especially all over the place, anywhere from 49-73 points! (I only had 35 fire resist on my suit).

I really didnt see much of a difference between having alchemy or not having it as long as i had the EP jewel set on.

Does having GM alchemy simply raise the cap to 80, and then you have to build the rest into your suit, or does it give you an actual 30 point bonus?

-Blitz

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
GM Alchemy doesn't technically raise the cap, it gives a bonus that isn't subject to the item cap (like you said, 10% per 33 skill points). So in theory 50% EP on items + GM (technically 99) alchemy=80% EP. I did some testing with greater strength potions:
0 Alchemy/0% EP +16% str/120 seconds
0 Alchemy/50% EP +25% str/190 seconds
GM Alchemy/0% EP +28% str/180 seconds
GM Alchemy/50% EP +34% str/220 seconds

Doing the math these numbers don't exactly match the formula, it seems that GM Alchemy with 0% EP gives more than a 30% boost, GM Alchemy with 50% EP does give the highest boost but not as expected. I recall seeing a thread from @Logrus, Benevolent God of Formulas, at some point that gave an equation in which the Alchemy skill bonus was different depending on item EP, which would be supported by the numbers above.

TL;DR The numbers are weird but GM Alchemy+50% EP gives the best boost to potions.

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you I am going to test this out further after the holidays. I was told by one person that a 50% EP ring or combo ring and brace for 50% total, combined with gm alchemy would be the way to go, but then another person said that alchemy by itself did nothing for a bonus effect only boosted the cap and I would have to reforge a suit with enhance potions built into it to hit the bonus.

As of right now I am finding that having the alchemy skill definitely seems to give you a boost, but I cannot test this any further until the weekend.

Thank you for your quick response, it is very helpful.

-Blitz

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It actually goes down to 3.3 Alchemy skill = 1% Enhance Potions.... For instance ALL Human characters because they have 20 Alchemy skill / 3.3 (Round Down) = 6% Enhance Potions.. You will notice that a Greater Strength pot on a Human character equipped with 50% Enhance potions will give you 31 Strength... 20 Base from the Greater Pot... + 10 more since you have 50% EP and that last 1 point is the 6% = 1.2 Stat points rounded down to 1.... and YES 100 Alchy gives you 80% EP...

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You will notice that a Greater Strength pot on a Human character equipped with 50% Enhance potions will give you 31 Strength...
This doesn't match my numbers above (I did that test today). I used a human with 0 Alchemy and 50% EP for +25% str from a greater strength potion.

I found the post from Logrus:
"For enhance Pots you get the greater of two formulas.
(Alchemy /3) + EP from Items OR Alchemy / 2"

This matches the numbers I got, so you can get 50% EP from items or from GM Alchemy with no items, if you stack the two you get 80% EP total.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
0 Alchemy/0% EP +16% str/120 seconds
0 Alchemy/50% EP +25% str/190 seconds
GM Alchemy/0% EP +28% str/180 seconds
GM Alchemy/50% EP +34% str/220 seconds

The way your listing the Strength bonus is weird. A greater strength potion gives +20 strength BASE. There is no percentage increase its a flat +20 strength.. With 50% EP the 20 becomes the expecited +30. You need to look at the numeric change 8 strength not the icon which is where I think your getting the percentage numbers... or EC maybe? Anyway like I said 3.3 alchemy is the smallest increment that will make a difference = 1% EP.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This doesn't match my numbers above (I did that test today). I used a human with 0 Alchemy and 50% EP for +25% str from a greater strength potion.

I found the post from Logrus:
"For enhance Pots you get the greater of two formulas.
(Alchemy /3) + EP from Items OR Alchemy / 2"

This matches the numbers I got, so you can get 50% EP from items or from GM Alchemy with no items, if you stack the two you get 80% EP total.
Yep this is correct

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ah, I see what you're saying Vexxed, I was indeed looking at the buff bar icon which gives percentages.

Thanks for confirmation Logrus!